LegacyGT.com

Good conventional oil and filter for the 2.5i?

What do you guys use?

I wanted to swap to synthetic but i guess at 156,000 miles it's a big risk for leaks /:

Idk much about weights but i THINK im supposed to stick with a 5w30 living in Minnesota but idk

And ive read that the new subaru filters are terrible so i wanna switch those out too

New subaru filters are actually really good in my opinion, I'd have no problem using them. Wix/napa gold filters are good too. I really like fram ultras, but they don't make them in our size with the correct bypass valve pressure setting.

I'd stick with 5w-30 conventional. I'd worry about a synthetic increasing the chances of your head gaskets leaking.

As far as what I use, whatever name brand conventional oil I can get for the cheapest. I check bobistheoilguy.com for rebates. I do sometimes run synthetic in my '09 with 216k, but I wonder if it's what causes my head gasket to start leaking oil recently. Probably just a coincidence, but I still kinda think it may have contributed a little.

Subaru OEM filters or WIX are fine. WIX makes filters for other companies, also.

There are many good conventional oils out there. Normally-aspirated Subarus seem to do well on it. It is hard to go wrong with Castrol GTX. For high-mileage, Valvoline Max Life is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried that one.

I read some stuff on other forums someone cut open a fram filter and it was horrible design and cut open a blue subaru filter and it was basically the same filter thats why i say that. I did see alot of people saying get Wix or Purolator filters.

Any difference in how it runs with Castrol? If you can remember..

I know my car felt a little more peppy when i got different oil and filter from the Firestone shop (got tires there, free rotations with oil changes) before going to the dealership for them. I cant remember what it was. Pennzoil maybe. Anybody tried Pennzoil?

I used to run conventional Pennzoil in both cars. With the Castrol Magnatec they are little quiter an smoother on cold start. Both oils were fine for my daily use and oil changes at 3,000 miles.

For what its worth, my 3.0R uses the black OEM filter.

Castrol has been a go to oil for many years. Any name brand oil filter made for your car will be fine. The important thing is to do oil and filter changes on a regulator basis.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
Skip it synthetic oil and the "extended life" filter options for the 2.5i keep it simple and cheap buy the major brand 5w-30 and filter. Change oil regularly 3.5-5K miles based on driving style.

I agree, that's exactly what I've been doing for the last 217k. I buy whatever name brand conventional oil I can get the cheapest. I usually check bobistheoilguy.com, because there is always some sort of rebate/promotion going on where the oil works out for less than $10 for 5qt's.

Archived