LegacyGT.com

05 legacy oil leak from spark plug tube seals?

Hi guys. New guy here. New to the forum/Subaru but not new to the automotive world.

Anyway, I purchased myself an 05 legacy gt with high miles. The intent is to use it as my backup DD so I want to make it as reliable as possible and also get back into my tinkering habbit. Aside from all the things I need to replace/fix, im having a heck of a time trying to stop an oil leak that I can see is slowly leaking from the right side (front) spark plug hole. Ive already done it once as it was leaking from the same location so I even went ahead and bought yet another gasket seal kit and even used the hondabond that people recommended- still same result. I love working on cars but taking this apart for the 3rd time to fix the same thing is getting ridiculous. Is there something im missing during install? I made sure I torqued it in the right sequence and inspected the cover for any cracks, which checked out good.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Next time you pull the valve cover make sure it's not cracked or damaged in that area

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Found out the culprit of my oil leak. It is not from the gaskets! It is coming from the coil bolt that tightens the coil in place. Looks like one of the previous owners cross threaded it at one point and re tapped it but went too far in, causing a hole through the oil. I dont have the time to take it all apart. Is there a way to fix this?

Snap_001.jpg

You could try using a thread sealant like Permatex 56521 or similar. This is a non-hardening thread sealant that resists oil & gas. This does not lock the bolt in place, you would need to clean and apply fresh sealant each time you removed/replaced that bolt. Possibly use a very thin washer between the coil pack and head, also.

Yep, sometime like that will work. Years ago we put sealant on the header studs where they went into the water jacket.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Glob some permatex max oil resistance rtv sealant on the bolt and tighten it up. The Hondabond should work too but I can't remember how oil resistant it is. Be sure to let it dry overnight before starting the car.

Archived