LegacyGT.com

Leak Test Results for Potential New Car

I've searched the forums and didn't find a specific leak down thread for 5th gens, so if there's a better thread for this, by all means.

I'm going to look at a 2010 legacy gt this weekend, which was a trade in at a subaru dealership. Overall it looks really clean: 2 owners, no accidents, decent mileage at 72700... then I had the dealership technician perform a compression and leak down test.

#1 - 135 psi/21%

#2 - 145psi/16%

#3 - 140psi/19%

#4 - 143psi/11%

I'm still going to look at the car. This seems really high, but I I wasn't sure if this was appropriate with the relative wear on the car. Let me know your thoughts, or if anyone has come across similar numbers.

Probably not what you want to hear but that motor needs an overhaul, compression service limit is 142 psi with 7 psi differential allowed.

For the right price a rebuild would make this into a nice buy, but also check the transmission for excessive wear while you are at it.

Here is the page from the fsm for reference.

compression.pdf

Also if you are looking for a 5thgen that needs work there is a member with one also in need of a rebuild/shortblock but otherwise in great shape with some nice mods. For the price he is asking it would be well worth the rebuild.

Archived