LegacyGT.com

Blown Engine?

On the onramp this morning I accelerate hard in 2nd gear. WOT. Car makes a loud bang and feels like it hit a wall. Push the clutch in and coast/merge onto the freeway. No weird noises, idles fine, no smoking out the back and drives normal out of boost. I dipped into boost and the car starts to hesitate hard, but turbo sounds normal. I circled back and drop the car at the house. On the cursory look, everything seems very normal under the hood. I had to go to work so did not have the time to look at it in depth. Now sitting at work I'm trying to figure out where to start first. Maybe someone has had a similar experience; what can it be?

'09 Spec.B

BNR 16G

GS TMIC

1000cc DW injectors

DW fuel pump

Perrin turbo inlet

GS EBC

K&N intake

3" piping w/cat to stock mufflers

air pump delete

Infamous oil filter for the turbo

Sparkplugs changed about 5,000 miles ago

All tuned by Performance Race Engineering about 5,000 miles ago as well

The engine has 126k on it.

No CEL's? Prob just blew the TB coupler off your tmic (the coupler under the bottom right that goes to throttle body)

Thanks, but no. Checked it and it's on there. Also the car would not even run last time that happened and the dashboard lights up like a Christmas three.

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure a coil pack disconnect / going bad would register a CEL. You'd have no spark for that cylinder and would be getting a misfire.

I had a pack go bad on me, and while it definitely made a very similar situation, it produced a CEL which led me to the specific cylinder with the issue.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I need to see if there are any pending codes, will also take it for a drive around the block and do some loging. Otherwise, I'm pulling spark plugs and compression testing.

I was at around 5500 RPM when it did this. Running into the fuel cut before this was a lot different, more violent and much, much louder.

No CEL's? Prob just blew the TB coupler off your tmic (the coupler under the bottom right that goes to throttle body)

....and thankfully you were completely correct! On the first look the hose appeared to be on there. Another spin around the neighborhood with the windows down reveled a big boost leak. No codes where thrown and the car idled perfectly.

When I blow the hose off, there's no mistaking what it is. Next time you'll know better.

Happened on the Spec once last Oct, I had the GS tmic off for some reason and had a suspicion it wan't on good, later that evening after diner and headed to a friends house, to much boost and it blew off. Got the the friends house and had to borrow a 5/16 socket to reattach the hose.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You should invest in the btssm app. You would have seen the fuel correct and fuel learn variables going haywire live as you drove.

I was going to data log it, but yeah, things turned out well. When I get some time and get a Nexus 7 in there, I'll spring for the app.

When I blow the hose off, there's no mistaking what it is. Next time you'll know better.

Happened on the Spec once last Oct, I had the GS tmic off for some reason and had a suspicion it wan't on good, later that evening after diner and headed to a friends house, to much boost and it blew off. Got the the friends house and had to borrow a 5/16 socket to reattach the hose.

Prior times there was certainly not, but this one was sneaky. Learned something new for sure.

I use a 8mm socket. Also with just a nut driver I can't get enough force on the TB hose clamp that is against the intercooler and I suspect that is why it popped off.

Wait, you don't carry some basic set of sockets in your car? :hide:;)

The car has finally crested that point of modifications where a tool kit will be a necessity. I'll put together a cheap one soon here.

I use a 8mm socket. Also with just a nut driver I can't get enough force on the TB hose clamp that is against the intercooler and I suspect that is why it popped off.

So do you still have the oem throttle body hose? If yes, it may pop off again. Over time, the rubber ends become flimsy. You may want to take these ends off to avoid this issue again. Happened to me (see here). Ended up putting a silicone hose. No problem ever since.

The car has finally crested that point of modifications where a tool kit will be a necessity. I'll put together a cheap one soon here.

Oh, my post was directed to Max Capacity. He is a 'senior' on this forum. So he better carry a toolkit of some sort in his car :D. Me, I carry too much 'crap', ranging from a 200+ piece crafstman toolkit to breaker bar, mallet, specialty tools, blah blah blah :spin:.

So do you still have the oem throttle body hose? If yes, it may pop off again. Over time, the rubber ends become flimsy. You may want to take these ends off to avoid this issue again. Happened to me (see here). Ended up putting a silicone hose. No problem ever since.

Oh, my post was directed to Max Capacity. He is a 'senior' on this forum. So he better carry a toolkit of some sort in his car :D. Me, I carry too much 'crap', ranging from a 200+ piece crafstman toolkit to breaker bar, mallet, specialty tools, blah blah blah :spin:.

No, have the GS TMIC which replaces the OEM TB hose. I do know what you are talking about though.

:) checking back in, been on Mt Washington all weekend for the Subaru, Climb to the Clouds race.

I do carry a tool kit in my wagon, my issue was with the Spec B's hose. Yea, I should buy another $30.00 HF tool kit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds like overboost leading to fuel cut, happened to me on my 09 LGT when I replaced the inlet and left the boost controller line off. Accelerated hard and it felt like the car hit a wall and made that bang sound. Limped home and check the connections and it was off. That is how the ECU deals with overboosting (all stock) if the TB hose was lose or oil soaked it would make a wet fart/duck quacking sound :lol:

A bad coil pack/fouled plug will cause a misfire under heavy load, I also had this problem on my 09 LGT due to anti-seize on the electrode (all my fault). Pulled and clean the plug no problems.

Could also be a failing injector pull the codes it will tell you more.

Archived