LegacyGT.com

Bought a modded car, advice?

TbirdMan

If you read my recent post you will see I recently bought a 2006 LGT with 73000mi with quite a few mods. Visually I can see a COBB downpipe, 3 port BCS, and SF airbox/intake, Parrin inlet pipe, AVO TMIC, and TR billet TD05-18G. I have no idea what kind of tune may or may not be on it, and no way to contact the previous owner.

Where would be my best place to start figuring this thing out? I suppose I would have to pull an injector to see if those are stock, I can go ahead and do plugs and I already ordered a replacement air filter (the COBB one was crushed a bit).

Someone suggested I connect the waste-gate directly to the intake to be safe, is this a good stop-gap until I can get a tune? This is my first turbo car so any advice is welcomed.

TbirdMan, you also mentioned you were getting CELs thrown when you "got on it". You should try to read those codes.

The dealer said this, I haven't actually managed to get any codes. most I have done is floored it form ~30mph to ~50mph enough to get some boost. Dealer said before it CELed he felt a stumble or hesitation. The turbo is pretty audible inside the car (wooshing noise and a bit of maybe a bit of PBV noise?), is that normal for a car with these mods? I have a bluetooth OBD2 scanner, will that suffice or should I get a vag-com cable?

I figured it was or I would have probably not bought the car, just thought I would mention it.

The dealer recommended JR at Shift Fast for tuning. I mentioned MotionLab as they are literally <1mi away from me but he told me to avoid them. I guess there have been some bad experiences with them including a dust-up with Mike Tolbert. Has anyone had experience with MotionLab? I have heard mixed reviews.

Cryotune or Tuning Alliance ,

are who we recommend. Your east coast so IMO TA is your best option. Mike has kept both my cars very happy for many years.

I can't say enough how much fun my wagon is to drive.

Tell Mike we sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not worth it. Pick a tuner that most a vastly satisfied with. That's why we push Cryotune and Tuning Alliance so hard.

You don't want to be part of that handful.

I say this knowing nothing about MotionLab though. You can always go and talk with them in person.

Talked to them, if I was having a lot of work done, or was looking to maximize my tune, i would fret over it, but right now I just want a workable tune. Them being so close is a plus since I can always drop in if i need work.

I plan to leave my car with them next week for a tune. I also want a professional to actually put eyes/ears on the car since I am new to modded turbo cars. My mom owned and I drove an 06 FXT, and as an engineer I understand the principals and concepts behind it, but there is no substitute for experience.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

Archived