LegacyGT.com

identify unknown aftermarket turbo?

TbirdMan

I just purchased a 2006 LGT with alot of aftermarket mods. among them is a Tomioka Racing turbocharger. I bought it from a dealer who got it from a subaru dealer so tracking down the previous owner is a no go. is there any way short of pulling the turbo to identify it? Do i need to to get the car tuned?

There should be a metal plate with some identifying information on the turbo. You'd need a good flashlight and a small mirror to read it. You'd probably have to remove any heat shielding that you have on there now temporarily.

You should be able to get information from the company or a vendor that sells them. Might be worth searching over at NASIOC to see if people have some experience to share.

Tuning is necessary when changing turbos or related components. You don't know what's already been done, unfortunately.

Yes, I was told by the deal it would need to be tuned. It pops a CEL if you get on it too hard. I am trying to track down all the aftermarket parts, at least it looks like the previous owner had some good taste, COBB downpipe Airbox/filter and 3 port BCS., AVO TMIC, TR Turbo. I don't know about injectors/pump etc, Ill check those this weekend. If it is anything like the rest, I would not be surprised to find good parts there either. Ill just drive it like a granny until I can get it tuned, the dealer/service guys (subie enthusiasts) suggested JR at Shift Fast.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Boone area. Just be careful since it can be hard to avoid going into boost in the mountains even at low revs.

You could temporarily connect a hose from the wastegate directly to the intake manifold, that way your boost will be mechanically limited by wastegate spring pressure. You would still want to drive like a granny, though.

I almost hesitate to say this, but you might want to check out the turbo failure FAQ in the stickies. If the turbo was replaced because the stocker failed, that can mean future trouble has been swept under a rug.

Archived