LegacyGT.com

1998 GT- AT Temp light

When I started up the GT tonight to change the oil (this is my son's daily driver) I noticed the dreaded 16 blinks of the AT temp light. I had recently did an ATF drain (approx 5 qts) and refill, as the old fluid was a nasty dark brown color. The transmission immediately was shifting smoother (previously had a delayed 2nd to 3rd shift since we bought the car in February). I rechecked the fluid level and it's good and the fluid is pretty much a healthy looking pinkish red color.

So in summary-

AT Temp light blinks 16X

Recent ATF change

No sign of torque bind

Put in fuse to revert to FWD and light still blinks.

So does this sound like a Duty C issue or maybe it needs another ATF change? Actually I would have thought hings would have been gummed up by the old ATF if anything.

The occurred to me- what if I used the wrong transmission fluid, but I used the generic stuff that is rated Dexron III (and I think it's the same stuff I've been running in wagon), so I don't think that's the issue.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-oil-fluids-dexron-iii-mercon-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid-1-quart-cq420/8130008-P

Since I drained approximately 50% of the fluid in the first drain and fill, and another drain and fill couldn't hurt. In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to read what the error code is later today.

16 flashes is only to report that there is an internal fault on one of the solenoids or other external sensors on the transmission. It's not the actual code because it would never flash 16 times for code reporting.

Try this method to get the AT Temp light to report back your TCU stored codes:

Warm up the engine

Turn the ignition switch OFF

Turn the ignition switch ON

Start the engine

Drive the vehicle at speeds greater than 12 MPH

Stop the vehicle

Depress the brake pedal and move the gear selector to "1"

Turn the ignition switch to OFF

Turn the ignition switch to ON

Move the gear selector to "2"

Move the gear selector to "1"

Move the gear selector to "2"

Move the gear selector to "3"

Move the gear selector to "D"

The AT Temp light will spit out a series of flashes, a long flash is 10 and short is 1.

Per the FSM, here is the codes that may be reported:

Phase I codes(roughly 1998 and earlier)

11 Line pressure duty solenoid. Short or Disconnection in solenoid driving circuit

12 Lockup duty solenoid. Short or disconnection in solenoid driving circuit

13 2-4 brake timing solenoid. Short or disconnection in solenoid driving circuit

14 Shift solenoid B. Short or disconnection in solenoid driving circuit

15 Shift solenoid A. Short or disconnection in solenoid driving circuit

16 2-4 brake duty solenoid. Short or disconnection in solenoid driving circuit

21 ATF temperature sensor. Short or disconnection in input circuit

22 Pressure sensor. Short or disconnection in input circuit

23 Engine speed signal. No signal input above 10km/h

24 Transfer duty solenoid. Short or disconnection in solenoid driving circuit

25 Engine torque control signal. Short or disconnection in engine torque control signal circuit

31 Throttle sensor. Short or disconnection in input circuit

32 Vehicle speed sensor 1. No signal input to speed sensor 1 above 20km/h

33 Vehicle speed sensor 2. No signal input to speed Sensor 2 above 20km/h

34 Turbine sensor. No signal input in ranges other than N range

36 Low clutch timing solenoid. Short or disconnection in solenoid driving circuit

If you let me know what codes you have, I can tell you what you need to do to test and it will help you replace the sensor or solenoid that is defective.

EDIT: It looks like wtdash posted the same thing, only linked it to a different site.

16 flashes is only to report that there is an internal fault on one of the solenoids or other external sensors on the transmission. It's not the actual code because it would never flash 16 times for code reporting.

Try this method to get the AT Temp light to report back your TCU stored codes:

The AT Temp light will spit out a series of flashes, a long flash is 10 and short is 1.

Per the FSM, here is the codes that may be reported:

If you let me know what codes you have, I can tell you what you need to do to test and it will help you replace the sensor or solenoid that is defective.

EDIT: It looks like wtdash posted the same thing, only linked it to a different site.

I tried this 4 times to the letter, and all I ended up with is the AT Temp light staying on steady (along with the rest on the lights as you end up with the ignition switch on and the car not running). No blinking codes at all.

Try to clear the condition first by disconnecting the battery and press the brake pedal for 20 seconds and then see if the problem remains when you turn on the vehicle again.

I know this method works to clear ECU CEL's, but will it work with TCU error codes as well?

I know this method works to clear ECU CEL's, but will it work with TCU error codes as well?

Yeah it will, no power=no ability to save codes. Disconnecting the battery will reset everything. If the CEL issue is still an active issue, it should come back almost immediately

Yeah it will, no power=no ability to save codes. Disconnecting the battery will reset everything. If the CEL issue is still an active issue, it should come back almost immediately

It's worth a try, anyway.

• 1 month later...
I was all set to have my mechanic pull the TPU code then my son told me the light isn't blinking anymore. We had my mechanic try to find any stored codes and there were none, so all seems OK for now. Probably will do a another drain and fill before my son takes the car to college.

Archived