LegacyGT.com

Is it possible for a 2.5L 4 cylinder to sound decent or should we leave it muffled?

POST YOUR EXHAUST SOUND CLIPS!

So in the past I have owned a 2.5L h6 Impreza (2002), which with an air filter and cannon exhaust (I was 18, please don't flame me hehe) it sounded great with a nice deep rumble.

Since acquiring my 6gen Liberty I pondered whether I can get a nice deep rumble from my engine which I am quite the fan of.

I dabbled with a muffler delete (on its own) and my friends all laughed at me as it sounded tacky as hell, not deep, no rumble, just an annoying sound.

In combination with the CVT, it was far from impressive. And I feel it detracted from the premium feel of the car, sounding rather tacky.

I then decided on the logic that it is not a powerful or sporty car and thus there is no point attempting to amplify the sound as it will never sound anywhere near pleasant on the ears.

If there was even a solution which gave it a low, quiet rumble, it would be something I would consider.

So my question stands, is there any point in even attempting to get a decent sound from a 2.5i h4 or is it a pointless endeavour which should be postponed until I have a more sporty, powerful car in the future?

Cheers all, happy driving!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I too tried the muffler delete route and found it to be too droney on the highway for comfort. After a 3 hour one-way trip to Michigan and back I realized it needed to be fixed.

Came across an SPT catback system for a last gen WRX on craigslist for $200. Got it welded up after the midpipe resonator and it sounds quite good imo. While not super rumbly like Subarus of old (you'd probably need headers to achieve that), it gives the car a nice agressive growl. It's far from being obnoxious, just adds enough noise to let you hear what the engine is doing.

Just realized I don't have any sound clips of it nor have I heard it from outside the car...will try to remember to do that one of these days:lol:

Hell yeah! Many users here have bought the nameless exhaust, or run something custom. I just fixed my exhaust up today and **** is it sexy. Swapped the stock muffler with a flowmaster super 10. Christ it is loud, much louder than a muffler delete. It sounds so solid, sexy, and it's just such a better experience driving than with stock muffler. If you want a low and quiet rumble I think the 5 inch nameless exhaust might work but I haven't ever had that...

I don't have clips, but I purchased the nameless 5" muffler for my 2.5i.

I do a lot of highway driving and even the muffled option is quite droney like Andrew_l_s said. Driving at 2,500 RPM (resting at 70 mph,110 km/h) for extended periods leaves the worst possible drone.

I would not describe my 5" muffler sound as a "low, quiet rumble". It's especially loud on cold starts and CVT shifting does make it sound silly. I'm tempted to remove it, but it does sound nice when I'm driving downtown.

I have a Magnaflow resonator I was planning on playing around with if I don't put it in my race car (which is loud, so this muffler is supposed to be quiet). If I end up doing that, I will definitely make some videos!

As you can see this is my second post. Wasn't sure if the video could be embedded, but here's links.

First video:

Second video:

Thank you Squandy, much appreciated.

I personally am not a big fan of that drone.

I am curious what it sounds like outside the cabin.. presumably similar to what you've posted.

I wonder if there are any other mods which can give us a nicer sound/tone...

Here's a couple of links to the system that was on my old car:

And after I had a hotdog resonator fitted in the mid-pipe it's a slightly deeper note and less of the brassy rasp. It may have also been that the exhaust had sooted up a bit more in the time between these 2 being taken:

Here's one pulling onto the highway:

And another running on the dyno but it's hard to hear the exhaust over the fans and dyno noise:

You know you just need to come for a drive and pick the system up as it's sitting in my shed at the moment ;)

On my 2001 NA 2.5H4 legacy, I only got the rumble after changing the manifold from standard equal length to unequal length

Yes correct on earlier models you could get the blub-blub Boxer sound by installing unequal length headers.

However this was only possible due to the firing order of cylinders which has been changed for the current series of modern Boxer engines. So it's no longer possible to get the "old" WRX sound. Even the new WRX can't do it :(

Also Tigger, are you going to be getting a new legacy? I think I read you are getting ready to trade or sell yours?

No new Legacy for me - well not this time around at least. My Legacy (Liberty) was sold a couple of months back, however I ended up parting it out as there were no takers for the car with all mods on it. Exhaust is the last bit left along with the front brake discs (calipers sold to a gen4 guy).

Ended up going with a Scirocco R which is a totally different car. Power and handling are in a different class - but it is a lot smaller car.

@Tigger, nice sound! I am still saving up for your exhaust haha

@milkywitness wow, I'm impressed.

It sounds awesome, however possibly a little loud for my needs atm. Didn't think the 2.5 could get such a nice beefy sound

Yes correct on earlier models you could get the blub-blub Boxer sound by installing unequal length headers.

However this was only possible due to the firing order of cylinders which has been changed for the current series of modern Boxer engines. So it's no longer possible to get the "old" WRX sound. Even the new WRX can't do it :(

No new Legacy for me - well not this time around at least. My Legacy (Liberty) was sold a couple of months back, however I ended up parting it out as there were no takers for the car with all mods on it. Exhaust is the last bit left along with the front brake discs (calipers sold to a gen4 guy).

Ended up going with a Scirocco R which is a totally different car. Power and handling are in a different class - but it is a lot smaller car.

Oh :(

Plan B

Leave it muffled, link up 4 speakers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who was it on here that said something about fitting WRX/STI exhaust on 2015+??? Or did I make that up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wr

I have the 2016 wrx exhaust setup,the only thing it needs done is add

5-6 inches pipe on the midpipe but it will be very loud since wrx doesn't have a resonator on mid pipe, but STI does.

What I did was I had the shop cut my stock pipe from behind resonator and had the wrx Y section welded to it,also you will need to have hangers welded P/S unless u have the 3.6

Wr

I have the 2016 wrx exhaust setup,the only thing it needs done is add

5-6 inches pipe on the midpipe but it will be very loud since wrx doesn't have a resonator on mid pipe, but STI does.

What I did was I had the shop cut my stock pipe from behind resonator and had the wrx Y section welded to it,also you will need to have hangers welded P/S unless u have the 3.6

Do you have video/audio?

Hmm I don't mind that at all. Sounds good. I have 2.5 sport.

I've seen a lot of WRX and STI exhausts around me $200-$300 so might consider it

Thanks!

Hmm I don't mind that at all. Sounds good. I have 2.5 sport.

I've seen a lot of WRX and STI exhausts around me $200-$300 so might consider it

Thanks!

no problem,first I tried it without reso but it was so loud and too much drone..

But with the stock pipe/reso it has a perfect sound.

no problem,first I tried it without reso but it was so loud and too much drone..

But with the stock pipe/reso it has a perfect sound.

So maybe STI is the way to go. I assume it'll require the same mods as WRX setup you have?

So maybe STI is the way to go. I assume it'll require the same mods as WRX setup you have?

Only difference on wrx and Sti is resonator

So if u decided to go either sti or wrx u just need to have pipe added on the midpipe unless u wanna use your stock mid pipe and just have the wrx/sti Y-pipe welded after the stock resonator,which is the way I have it.

I don't have clips, but I purchased the nameless 5" muffler for my 2.5i.

I do a lot of highway driving and even the muffled option is quite droney like Andrew_l_s said. Driving at 2,500 RPM (resting at 70 mph,110 km/h) for extended periods leaves the worst possible drone.

I would not describe my 5" muffler sound as a "low, quiet rumble". It's especially loud on cold starts and CVT shifting does make it sound silly. I'm tempted to remove it, but it does sound nice when I'm driving downtown.

Let me know if you're selling your 5 inch nameless exhaust. Or anyone else who has one and is looking to sell it PM me!

Archived