LegacyGT.com

5MT clutch question(s?)

Blackhawk2k7

Hey all! Hope you're doing well on this fine Monday!

Somewhat new to Subarus, but not to working on other makes.

When I bought my car, it came with this clutch kit and has put on 7k since:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/single-disc-clutches/cci1-15026-2100-competition-clutch-stage-2-steelback-brass-plus-clutch-kit-w-flywheel

Reviews are 4.5/5 with some people saying that the TOB is crap. Well, I can definitely agree. I can already feel/hear it starting to give up the ghost.

I've had stage 2 clutches before on different vehicles, but this just doesn't feel right, it almost has a dead spot when releasing near the top. The engagement point seems to not be consistent, a couple times when fully released and foot off I get slipping, and it has a spotty grab when I am disengaging. I am maybe at a stage 1+ with Cobb AP, catless up, cat-back magnaflow, KNN typhoon. But I shouldn't slip in the slightest with a 400+ft/lb clutch.. and by god that pedal is a hard bastard to push.

I'm dead set on getting the TSK TOB, but before I trash this clutch/PP too, would anyone be of the opinion that the clutch/PP is worth keeping?

Or should I be investigating the master/slave for issues coupled with my TOB?

Thank you and much love.

I'm very happy with the Spec 2+ I have in my wagon. Been a big fan of Spec Clutches for years. The 2+ will make a squeal every now and then when you let it out on 1st gear but that's normal for the clutch material.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Bump but more info:

Hello LGT!

Bit of an issue I've got with my clutch, installed by the previous owner is a Competition Clutch stage 2 w/flywheel kit. It slips sometimes right when I am letting off the clutch pedal. But slips every time when I give it a little more gas and quickly release the clutch pedal.

I noticed that the pedal hangs up at 7/8ths to the top (without my foot on it) of the release point while slipping, then moments later releases to the top and slipping stops.

I just started hearing my TOB starting to squeal as well when parked/idle. Clutching in makes it go away.

Here are my thoughts:

-The snub is galling and I need the TSK3 TOB kit..

-Slave cylinder needs to be bled or replaced..

-Master cylinder needs to be adjusted at pedal height/engagement or replaced..

-Clutch fork is cracked or bent needs to be replaced..

Or all 4.

Any input is hugely helpful. Where is the pedal supposed to disengage at? Because mine is almost at the top.

Thank you!

At idle the the input shaft bearing in the tranny is spinning, push in the clutch and that bearing stops spinning.

Check level of the clutch cylinder.

You may want to bleed the slave cylinder.

I have not had to adjust the pedal ever in my cars.

After that...its going to money time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Bump from the dead, thanks Max for all your input on this and other topics!

So I'm definitely squealing at idle w/clutch pedal out now, I've put off doing anything with the clutch yet, but have definitely gotten rid of a lot of hesitation with various other mods (fpr/engine and tranny mounts/poly bushings/etc). Buuut, I can feel this clutch just hates me, now without feeling the other shortcomings I was suffering from.

So having the Competition Clutch 2+ kit I have a LWFW in the kit, if I get another clutch/PP would it be a direct bolt on to the CC2+ LWFW?

On top of that can a used WRX SMFW be turned and re-used?

Thanks

Archived