LegacyGT.com

2.5i Sway Bars

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I work at an Acura dealer the parts dept,and my coworker, a technician, has a service manual for a 14 legacy. I wanted to know the torque spec for the crank pulley and he says it is 44.3ft/lb plus an additional 60 degrees. I dont have a torque wrench in degrees. Does anybody know how many pounds that extra 60 degrees would be?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You just turn the wrench an additional 60 degrees, no special tools required. I mean technically you could make a template and mark off 60 degrees so you know when to stop if you can't visualize it.

Use a piece of cardboard draw a circle and divide it equally into 6 slices each one is 60°.

Being a hexagon, the flats (or points) on a bolt head are 60 degrees apart. After you torque it to 44 lb-ft, put a little mark on your socket at one of the points, transfer that mark to the crank pulley, turn the socket one flat to the right and mark it again, and use those marks as your start and end points.

Also, 44.3 lb-ft +60 degrees more than likely means torque-to-yield, which means it's not the worst idea in the world to use a new bolt.

Being a hexagon, the flats (or points) on a bolt head are 60 degrees apart. After you torque it to 44 lb-ft, put a little mark on your socket at one of the points, transfer that mark to the crank pulley, turn the socket one flat to the right and mark it again, and use those marks as your start and end points.

Also, 44.3 lb-ft +60 degrees more than likely means torque-to-yield, which means it's not the worst idea in the world to use a new bolt.

I have a new bolt and a new boss assembly. I replace hardware everytime I take it off. And thank you very much!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Subaru does not use torque to yield fasteners...they are torque to angle specs.

TTA removes the ambiguity of a torque reading on a fastener that can be the result of friction between the bolt and part being installed, it provides a truer and more consistent clamping force. It has nothing to do with stretching the bolt to the point of yield...in case anyone needs clarification on the difference.

It's awesome that there is fantastic crank pulley info in a sway bar thread. It will never again be useful to anyone else because do ding it will require expertise in database search ability.

As do most searches in this forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Make sure to select "show posts" rather than "show threads" when using the search function, and it will work a lot better.

Additionally, if you do an advanced search, you can opt to search thread titles only or search entire posts with a drop down menu under "keywords". Also make sure to select "posts" rather than "threads" here as well in the bottom left, and the search will be much more functional that way.

Archived