LegacyGT.com

2.5i Sway Bars

Good morning everyone!

I have been looking around for some good sway bars for my 2.5i, and can't seem to find anything great or really at all. Is there any chance a 2012 LGT swag bar would fit? Either front or rear? Im looking for tighter cornering.

Every tidbit helps!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The front sway bar would fit, but your 26mm bar is actually larger than anything that came on the GT, so you're ahead of the game there. As far as the rear bar, look into a '15+ WRX 20mm bar and bushings, as that'll be leaps and bounds better than the 16mm bar on the Legacy (same for '10-'14 across all trim levels).

The front sway bar would fit, but your 26mm bar is actually larger than anything that came on the GT, so you're ahead of the game there. As far as the rear bar, look into a '15+ WRX 20mm bar and bushings, as that'll be leaps and bounds better than the 16mm bar on the Legacy (same for '10-'14 across all trim levels).

Ok great. Also just for clarification, my Leggy is a '14...I don't believe anything suspension related changed from the 10-12 to the 13-14s. And a WRX rear bar would fit well enough?

The legacy uses the same rear sway bar as the 08+ impreza. The front sway bar is thicker on the 13-14 legacy front and the springs have a higher rate as well as stiffer dampers. Drive an older legacy and you will change your mind very quickly.

I just studied Subaru OEM parts diagrams and part numbers for 20 minutes for both the 2014 WRX and a 2014 Legacy and the illustrations are identical...even enough so that I printed them out and put one on top of the other and they lined up perfectly. But the part numbers are different. Minor differences though. The first 5 digits are the same, though that may just be a group number to specify the category of part

All the suspension parts swap over just fine, but as fllegacy confirmed the springs and dampeners are stiffer. I swapped '13 springs into my '10 and noticed a very nice difference.

Springs and dampeners from a '14 WRX would work, but with unpredictable results since the cars don't weigh the same. I think that the spring perch on the WRX is lower in front, and the spring rates have to be different.

I would suggest that you start with the 20mm sway bar others recommended, and if that's not enough for you think about aftermarket swapping springs and struts.

All the suspension parts swap over just fine, but as fllegacy confirmed the springs and dampeners are stiffer. I swapped '13 springs into my '10 and noticed a very nice difference.

Springs and dampeners from a '14 WRX would work, but with unpredictable results since the cars don't weigh the same. I think that the spring perch on the WRX is lower in front, and the spring rates have to be different.

I would suggest that you start with the 20mm sway bar others recommended, and if that's not enough for you think about aftermarket swapping springs and struts.

Very good. I will probablh start there. I just wanted to confirm fitment of the sway bar from a 14 WRX before I dropped the money and time on it

Any preferences for the links or do you guys just run the stock ones?

Stock if they are in good shape, moog for quality stock replacements without the Allen head end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

So I wound up getting a Perrin 19mm rear sway bar and Perrin Links just to be safe and matching. Now is the front sway bar from a WRX compatible with our cars? Its a bit har to tell but it looks different

^Being that you have a 2014, the FSB should be 26mm (I know that change was made on the 3.6 in 2013, up from 24mm, and I believe it was range-wide). The stock 26mm front bar should be more than substantial, and you'll notice a huge improvement with the rear bar added. The only larger FSB option I know of is the Cusco 28mm bar, which is like $300+, and will require you to lift the engine in order to swap it. Way more trouble that it's worth for the small difference it'll make.

You'd likely notice the same or more difference with a front tower strut bar if you desire more front end stiffness, at about half the price.

IMHO, you wasted your $200 on the 19mm Perrin bar, what a rip off for that piece. Pretty much everyone who has upgraded from the stock bar to the 19mm STi bar ($100 with bushing) has gone on to upgrade further to the 20mm STi bar ($100 with bushings) or the Whiteline 22mm bar ($225 with bushings and braces).

I have been running on the 22mm Whiteline for 40k miles with the stock end links, and I have tracked the car several times. The first 10k miles was with the stock suspension and the improvement was an epiphany with no ill effects on ride at all.

IMHO, you wasted your $200 on the 19mm Perrin bar, what a rip off for that piece. Pretty much everyone who has upgraded from the stock bar to the 19mm STi bar ($100 with bushing) has gone on to upgrade further to the 20mm STi bar ($100 with bushings) or the Whiteline 22mm bar ($225 with bushings and braces).

I have been running on the 22mm Whiteline for 40k miles with the stock end links, and I have tracked the car several times. The first 10k miles was with the stock suspension and the improvement was an epiphany with no ill effects on ride at all.

Honestly, what real difference is there between a 19mm and a 20mm. The 22mm I could see but I didnt want it quite that large. And the stock one is 16 so in my opinion, it should be better than the stock one

Its not much from 19 to 20 but its a big difference in feel. Why are you afraid of a large bar?

1212661900_SwayBarStiffness.jpg.088d2bbac9ea8e796810673736395b3d.jpg

It's like this. You're trying to go mountain biking, but you just spent a pretty penny on a fancy hybrid bike with skinny tires, high handlebars and a made for street minimal travel front fork. You're not going to be going down any mountains very fast. You could have bought a used Craiglist bike in good condition for half the price which has proper knobby tires, respectable suspension travel in both the front and rear, is lighter and has a more aggressive seating position. You're enjoying the mountain biking experience now. OR....you could have spent that same pretty penny on a purpose built mountain bike with oodles of suspension travel, huge knobby tires for grip in the dirt, and light as feather construction that gets you up the mountain faster and down it with much more control and less physical effort. Which did you buy? Should you be afraid of the long travel suspension and huge knobby tires?

I will say it as many times as necessary, time and time again, dozens of 5th Gen and 6th Gen owners have started out with the 19mm thinking "more is too much" and in a short time period they have migrated to either the 20mm or 22mm and were remiss about not having done that in the first place. I feel truly sorry for the folks that spend the time, money and effort on the 19mm, 20mm and then 22mm path. Most of us have just gone straight to the 22mm and reap the rewards and drive with huge grins on our faces every day. The 22mm bar just plants the rear end when accelerating out of a corner, it's sublime.

I have the 20mm bar on my Forester and it's an improvement for sure but barely noticeable. I was trying to keep mod costs down since it is my DD and a little lighter than the Leggy. I'm glad I didn't do the 19, I don't think I would have even noticed it. I plan to upgrade to a 22mm when I have some extra coin.

I bought the 19 and for the same money could have bought the 20mm rsb, that is why the 1mm makes a difference the cost is the same, or in your case you overpaid for a name brand. Interestingly even after you were told pretty consistently to go with a 20mm sti rsb you went with an aftermarket 19mm.

I can definitely appreciate the benefits. And I see what you are saying. Since I bought it now, I will try it (its adjustable so I will see how it works out) if I dont like it, I will get a 21mm.

I think we're just frustrated you overpaid for something that underperforms vs other options available. At the price you paid, the whiteline 22mm rsb would've been the better choice. But in the end it's your car, and if you're happy with what you've fone, that's all that matters. We're just here to point people down the path of best bang for your buck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Since the other members already gave you the info you need. I just wanted to throw up here in case you need another one. I drive my car a lot for work and I feel my setup is comfortable, a lot better than the stock and well balanced. As of now, my 2.5i sits on Eibache springs (looking excuse to upgrade my suspensions, but nothing yet), 22mm Whiteline swaybar (not set at max, too stiff for rear vs front OEM), and running with DSW all-season.

Archived