LegacyGT.com

6MT problem going into 5th and 6th gear.

Yesterday after picking my car and driving my LGT I notice that I hard time getting into 5th and I could not figure out how to get into 6th gear. I tried double clutching. It seems that it I went 4th to 5th I could sometime get it to go but it was difficult. It also didn't feel like a synchro issue. When I test drove my car in CA, I had driven on the highway and gone into 5th and 6th and didn't notice any issue. I am someone who is usually pretty observant. I had taken a picture of the odometer after I bought it and the odometer matched when I picked the car up, so I knew that the car had been driven very little beside loading an unload. [i even notice when I took a left into my neighborhood 3/4 mile away the mileage was still the same] I contacted the previous owner to see if it had an intermittent issues with transmission in 5th or 6th and he had no issues.

I did some research on this forum last night and found that either bad shifter cable or broken shifter housing could do this. My mind jumped to I wonder if one of the employees of the shipping company was trying to force the shifter into reverse without lifting the reverse lockout collar.

Armed with that information, I took my car out tonight again. I found that if I move the shifter to the right where it stopped and pushed up; the transmission would not go into 5th or 6th gear. I found if I moved the shifter 1/2" closer to the middle it would easily go into 5th or 6th gear. I confirm with the previous owner that this was not how it previously was and wasn't something I had missed on the test drive. I went to my 2.5i Legacy STS and it worked as I expected, if I move the shifter to the right where it stopped and pushed up the transmission it would go smoothly into 5th gear and 6th gear.

My LGT has a Kartboy shift stop and the prior owner said maybe the shift stop move and can be adjusted to resolve that issue. I am going to have to pull the shifter a part to figure out why it going too far to the right. I at least have the Legacy STS accessory from my 2.5i that I can swap over if the LGT STS accessory is damaged. At this point in time, I am leaning heavily towards a shipping company employee try forcing my transmission in to reverse :(

The shifter stop is super easy to get to and look at, and you can look at the mechanism under the car pretty easily as well. Mine didn't even have the cover plate that the WRXs have. I would say take advantage of having a working example at your finger tips and compare the two. Cell phone pictures of the comparison would be good leverage if you need to make a claim.

It's also super easy to loosen/remove the shift stop to rule that out.

Good luck, I hope you just need to adjust the shift stop!

The transmission fluid was change about 5k miles ago and it does have a Perin brass bushing. [it also has a boomba short throw shift adapter]. My 2.5i only has STS so some of other shifter mods are foreign to me.

I would check the shift stop. Sounds like it may be out of adjustment. There is really no way for the cables to get out of adjustment. It is possible that they were trying to get the car in reverse like you said. Could have tweaked something. Should be an easy fix though. Just take a real close look at everything and you should be able to figure it out.

It should be pretty easy to rule out the shift stop by pulling up on the reverse lockout to see if it will go into 5th and 6th with the lockout pulled up. Just be sure you don't go so far over to the right that it'll go into reverse.

Taking the console cover/shift boot off is quick and easy to get to the stops and look at the mechanisms. To me it sounds like the shift stops (Kartboy for 1-2, OEM for 5-6) moved a little. Also, several owners have had the shifter mechanism crack, or had cable issues, making it difficult to get into some gears.

I pulled the shifter console off to inspect it. The 5/6th shifter stop had moved. I compare it to my 2.5i and it didn't looked like had been bent or damaged. I readjusted the shift stop and it now works as expected. Easy fix. The stops and bolts weren't loose, so I am pretty sure the shipper forced it over.

Archived