LegacyGT.com

I'm looking for some info on EWGs, I haven't been able to find much about them. I've been looking at the GS up pipe with EWG. Are they worth the money? Will I see a noticeable increase in power? Will I need a new protune? I'm at stage 3 (invidia up pipe) any feedback or direction would be awesome!

You will need a tune, since they are stronger spring you'll be able to hold full boost through redline (granted you have supporting mods to do so).

Grimmspeed is a great go to for uppipe.

2017 Subaru STI

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

You will need a tune, since they are stronger spring you'll be able to hold full boost through redline (granted you have supporting mods to do so).

Grimmspeed is a great go to for uppipe.

Chances are, you will not see a noticeable increase in power. EWGs will provide better boost control though so it may help some. You will need a tune after you install.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you please describe better boost console and/or holding boost?

I see you are in SF.. if passing smog is a concern, if you have an ewg and a tech notices it you will fail visual.

EWG will give slightly better spool once tuned since it controls boost better. It's also very loud when it opens up, so if you want sleeper status, an EWG won't achieve that.

You will 100% need a new tune for the boost control with an EWG.

It's also very loud when it opens up, so if you want sleeper status, an EWG won't achieve that

Thats good to know! Are there quieter one out there that perform the same or are they all loud? I have to say my Q300 catback is louder than I'd prefer but it sounds good, I'm not sure how I'd feel if I added something that made my car sound ricey.

Thats good to know! Are there quieter one out there that perform the same or are they all loud? I have to say my Q300 catback is louder than I'd prefer but it sounds good, I'm not sure how I'd feel if I added something that made my car sound ricey.

There is a reason they call them a screamer pipe. They are loud and obnoxious even when you are trying not to be.

You can plumb it back into the downpipe. You'll need to do the tie-in prior to the catalytic converter so you don't trip a code IIRC. An exhaust shop would have to do this unless you are proficient in welding stainless exhaust. Don't forget a flex pipe when you do this.

putting an ewg on a stock turbo is kinda pointless tbh. better saving your money.

If the goal in the future is a larger turbo, installing an ewg up pipe is saving money by not having to do it in the future and purchase another UP.

However, to your point, you could purchase the ewg up pipe now and cap the port and save the cost of the Tial or whatever EWG planned.

putting an ewg on a stock turbo is kinda pointless tbh. better saving your money.

I mentioned earlier I'm at stage 3 (blouch 380xt).

I really like the idea hold holding full boost. Is there another option that will help me with this? gfb bpv?

Have you already upgraded the boost control solenoid when you were last tuned? Aftermarket turbo IWG actuators are pretty good although sometimes they do drop boost in the upper rpms if the spring is too soft. What's your base spring pressure? 1 BAR / 14 psi?

My Dom1.5xt-r held 20 PSI to red line with an IWG actuator.

Franz brings up some good points.

If you don't have one already, a three port boost control solenoid valve is a great place to start. They are pretty inexpensive, but you will want a tune. Do you have a full mod list? It would help us know what could help you. Stage 3 is very subjective and can be achieved in numerous ways with very different results.

Holding that much boost to red line can be dependent on your fuel quality from what I've found. That seems to be the sweet spot where 91 octane just starts to cause knock. that may require you to taper boost in the upper RPMs.

I mentioned earlier I'm at stage 3 (blouch 380xt).

I really like the idea hold holding full boost. Is there another option that will help me with this? gfb bpv?

BPV's dont help (infact the stock is the best one), you could get a stronger spring internal wastegate like a turbosmart. Not sure on fitment for the 380xt.

2017 Subaru STI

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

Franz brings up some good points.

If you don't have one already, a three port boost control solenoid valve is a great place to start. They are pretty inexpensive, but you will want a tune. Do you have a full mod list? It would help us know what could help you. Stage 3 is very subjective and can be achieved in numerous ways with very different results.

Holding that much boost to red line can be dependent on your fuel quality from what I've found. That seems to be the sweet spot where 91 octane just starts to cause knock. that may require you to taper boost in the upper RPMs.

I have a 05 gt running

Blouch 380xt

GS 3 port boost control solenoid

GS TMIC

Invidia up

Catted cobb down

Invidia q300 catback

Cobb sf intake

Stock fueling (for now, injectors are the next mod on the list)

Pro tuned by GST motorsports on 91 octane

Hexmod VB

Truecool cooler (soon to add thermostat)

I forget how much boost I'm running and I can't find my dyno sheet. It's probably not much though since I'm still on stock fueling as I mentioned. I'll call my tuner on Monday and see if they have a copy they can send me. Hope this helps.

Your next step should be fueling. You will not be able to hold boost to red line with the stock pump and injectors. My guess is that's your limiting factor right now. You won't see any gains from an EWG at this point.

Oh, curious if anyone has actually had any success holding 19 psi to redline with a stock bpv. Thought it would be a weak point for keeping boost stable.

The BPV is not affected by engine RPM. Stock BPV is good till ~21 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In theory, an EWG allows more power by reducing backpressure in the exhaust tract, because it routes some of the exhaust gases outside of the exhaust tract. I have no idea how much difference it makes in practice though. If you plumb it back in, to keep noise down, you lose that benefit.

In theory, you can use a lighter wastegate spring, and make up for it by using a four-port BCS that supplies pressure to the top of the wastegate to compensate for the lighter spring. So you get better control of boost levels... in theory.

Ever notice that the electronic boost control system (stock solenoid or aftermarket) doesn't actually come into play until you're beyond the boost level that opens the wastegate? Honestly I probably wouldn't have unless I was looking for it, because the throttle plate does a good enough job controlling boost in that area. But apparently you get finer control with a lighter wastegate spring.

And as already noted above, you can in theory run more boost at higher RPM.

I have to keep saying "in theory" because none of the advantage seemed compelling enough to get me to switch to an EWG, so I haven't tried one myself.

Archived