LegacyGT.com

2003 Legacy rough idle and stalling...only at running temperature

It's been a long road with this car. Been trying a bunch of different things for quite a while now, and it has me stumped.

At the end of last year, I got rear ended, and it started leaking coolant. So I replaced the water pump and timing belt and some hoses while I was at it. Solved that problem. Timing is dead on, so definitely not the issue. Now, it runs very rough at low RPM, idles below 500rpm and jolts and dies occasionally. It also stalls while driving, (seems to do it at a certain throttle position). However, it only runs bad after it is at running temperature! Which made me think it was a sensor. I put the code reader on it, and it came up with misfires on all cylinders, as well as P0348 for the cam position sensor. I replaced that sensor, which seem to help but started running bad after 15 minutes or so.

I replaced coil, plugs, and wires. Ran seafoam, techron, heet through the fuel. Checked all the vacuum lines, battery, ground. I hope this isn't something with the O2 sensors as they are pretty spendy, so it would be nice to have an opinion.

Thanks in advance

As a sidenote, it ran GREAT before it got in an accident, so either it's a huge coincidence that something decided to go out that wasn't caused by that, or it was actually caused by the accident, or I did something wrong when fixing it. I know my timing is dead on, because if it was a little off, it wouldn't ever run good at all.

Also, when I get into pretty high RPM's up hill, (3k-4k range) the temperature gauge shoots up and then I open up the hood and coolant is leaking out of the overflow from pressure. Then I continue driving and the temperature gauge goes back to normal very quickly. There's no way it can cool down that fast, so is it just a warning that I was leaking coolant or what?

sound like more than one problem here. lets try and help you out here by asking more questions and making hasty assumptions...

did the misfires go away after you did the coil, wires, plugs? and did the cam sensor code go away after the new sensor?

Have you cleaned your IACV at all yet. look it up either here or on google and follow it back to here or you tube.

timing could still be an issue but not likely these cars can run a tooth or two off and still function to some sort of degree, like what you are experiencing but lets wait on that.

My idle is fluctuating now, lots of drop offs to 200 rpms to 500 to in between here and there i will be getting to 02 sensors this week unfortunately i have to drop my exhaust completely and do them both at once instead of one at a time to see what actually fixes it. rock auto was out of crawford/ crowfoot sockets and had to get the regular 02 socket but doesn't fit on a wrench unless the exhaust is dropped.

when was the last time or do you know when your thermostat was changed out?

the thing that makes it sound strange about running wierd after being hit is the purge valve/ charcoal canister is in the rear, any trouble starting?

whats the mileage?

The tune up did not seem to help the misfires. replacing the cam sensor seemed to make it misfire less. Now it comes up with code P0341 for the cam sensor circuit. Dont know what that means.

I will look into the IACV next. Don't think the thermostat has been changed in a while.

Its very odd because if you keep the throttle in the same position for more than 5 seconds, the engine will stall.

Also, my alternator may be bad, because I think it decided to fail in the last two days. Definitely could be a cause of misfiring and stalling.

The mileage is about the same as before.

Check IACV I Know what a pain in the arse it is when this happens I replaced mine with a Ebay my engine is a Ej201 Non turbo Ebay shit works maybe Im lucky with Ebay shit but the Map and the IACV I got for dirt cheap to just check if they were even 50% good as a genuine turns out they work perfectly. Please check the IACV And check the Fuel pressure as well

take the IACV off flip it upside down and connect it. go in the car and DO NOT START IT. Just turn to the on postion. You need to people for this. You will see if spin. Also get a new gasket from the dealer they are 4$.

Edit. You have a 03 which uses the auto IACV.

Archived