LegacyGT.com

Key Fob Doesn't Unlock the Trunk

The key fob that came with my 2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan will not open the trunk. The fob will properly lock and unlock the doors. If I hold the trunk button the car beeps twice, so the button is sending a signal to the car and the car is receiving it. The lever release on the floor next to the driver's seat works, and is in fact the only way to open the trunk since there is no key hole on the trunk. The valet switch is unlocked, and no fuses are blown. I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

So i took off the trunk lid covering and what I found was very illuminating. Wires 1 and 3 from plug R60 were cut and taped. From the Vacation pix, R60 is responsible for the trunk lid, right and left license plate lights, and the spoiler stop lights (absent from my car). The wires are as follows:

#7: Power

#6: License Plate Lights

#5: Spoiler Stop light (not on this car)

#3: Trunk Lid Actuator

#1: Trunk Light Switch

The license plate lights are on wires work properly, so the power (#7) works. I tested the actuator using a 9V battery and it works perfectly, yet when I connected the actuator to #3 and #7 and pressed the remote, nothing happens. Presumable those wires were cut and capped for a reason. Any thoughts?

UPDATE:

According the Vacation pix, Wire #3 of R60 connects to #4 of plug R98 and finally to A22 at the BIU. I tested the connection between R60#3 and A22, and there's a break in the connection. The next thing I want to do is determine if the break is between the BIU and R98 or between R98 and R60, but I can't find R98. It should be under the hood near the passenger side. Any help?

http://i.imgur.com/QbNwMYN.png

http://i.imgur.com/st4G7l8.png

http://i.imgur.com/FKgtsGc.png

UPDATE:

So I found the R98/i53 connector; it was behind the front passenger kickplate. The problem was that someone had gone in and cut the actuator wire, then sealed off both ends and closed everything back up. I have no idea why anyone would do this, but I soldered a patch on the wire, wrapped it in electrical tape, and closed everything back up. As I said earlier, someone had also cut of the R186 connector (the 3 pole plug that attaches to the trunk latch) from the trunk lid cord (part #81811AG03A). So I got a new cord from a pick-n-pull and wired it up, and now my keyless trunk system works!

My only concern is that there might be a hitherto unknown reason that someone cut the wires to begin with. I just hope I don't wake to a dead battery tomorrow morning >.<

It has been mentioned that some people think they know better then Subaru when it comes to how that trunk lock should work.

It's mainly a complaint about the wagon's, which unlock the hatch when you unlock all doors.

May be someone decided to fix that...

Good Luck, sounds like you have a clue when it comes to electrical work. That's great, I hate electrical...

You should hang around more and help out when you can.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 months later...

Not sure if I have a similar problem or not, but here's the deal: there is 50% chance that the trunk (I have a '05 sedan) will be locked if I don't open it within 2 seconds after I press the key on the fob or the lever in the back.

What's wrong or maybe Subaru programmed the car to work in this way?

Archived