LegacyGT.com

Replaced timing belt...forgot to pull the grenade pin on the new tensioner

I replaced a bunch of stuff on my Legacy today. After freaking out because I accidentally spun the driver side cam 180° and just generally being tired from working on my car all day, I put everything back together and didn't realize until I was showering just now that I forgot to pull the pin on the new tensioner. This is probably a stupid question but that's kind of a big deal isn't it? Although the belt has RIDICULOUS tension on it now (took forever to get it on trying all different orders of slipping it over the pulleys) I imagine it will loosen up just a bit as it wears correct?

I did start it and it runs fine, but I guess I just need somebody to tell me to cowboy up and pull the timing cover back off to remove the pin...

Sorry if this is a silly post, but this is the first vehicle I've had with a timing BELT and I'm exhausted! :(

please don't drive it or start it again for that matter.

you really need to pull that pin so many bad things can happen to that motor if the belt slips or comes off. it's like 1 hr of your time compared to buying a new engine.

a couple of idea's i've had, assuming that it hasn't slipped already.

-maybe you don't need to remove the acc. belts or even the Harmonic Balancer, if you remove all the timing cover bolts you may be able to rotate the cover to give you enough room to pull the pin.

- by doing the above method you are assuming that the belt hasn't slipped and it is still properly timed and have no way to check it. its just a at your wits end half assed attempt to fix something, everyone it does from time to time out of pure exhaustion.

please don't drive it or start it again for that matter.

you really need to pull that pin so many bad things can happen to that motor if the belt slips or comes off. it's like 1 hr of your time compared to buying a new engine.

a couple of idea's i've had, assuming that it hasn't slipped already.

-maybe you don't need to remove the acc. belts or even the Harmonic Balancer, if you remove all the timing cover bolts you may be able to rotate the cover to give you enough room to pull the pin.

- by doing the above method you are assuming that the belt hasn't slipped and it is still properly timed and have no way to check it. its just a at your wits end half assed attempt to fix something, everyone it does from time to time out of pure exhaustion.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and pulled the timing covers back off yesterday morning, verified the timing was still on, pulled the pin and put it all back together. It turns out that after setting the tension on the P/S belt with the alternator, I forgot to tighten the alternator mount down! So I fixed a couple of things lol. Anyway, she runs like a champ now. Thanks again!

Archived