LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 ECU Flash Suggestions Please...

I have a 2007 LGT wagon with an SPT CAI and SPT cat back exhaust. I am hoping to avoid the dreaded valve burn that can happen.

I have looked into Cryotune so far.

Do you guys have any other sources you like?

I thought about the COBB Accessport but I don't need that big an item to dial in a car that will be a daily driver.

It's not just the stock map that can cause valve burn, it's also that the valve clearances need to be adjusted around the same time as the timing belt change to put them back at proper stock/factory spec.

I had this done recently and the car drove noticeably smoother after.

Cobb v3 is a good start. Plus its a useful tool for data logs if you do choose a tuner. Lots of the members here like tuning alliance.

Does the Cobb v3 remain plugged in to the OBD port or is it a program and remove thing? I have a Valentine 1 plugged into the OBD already.

The heads were recently done at Elk Grove Subaru. Would they skip adjusting the valves during a repair of this size?

If the heads were rebuilt, the valves were removed and machined as needed and would certainly be adjusted during reinstallation.

I have a 2007 LGT wagon with an SPT CAI and SPT cat back exhaust. I am hoping to avoid the dreaded valve burn that can happen.

I have looked into Cryotune so far.

Do you guys have any other sources you like?

I thought about the COBB Accessport but I don't need that big an item to dial in a car that will be a daily driver.

Running the stock map with a non-stock intake, even an SPT, is asking for trouble. If your goal is engine longevity, put the stock airbox back on, get a Cobb AP v2 for half the price of the v3, and install the stage 1 map. Then consider a pro tune. If you do get a pro tune, you'll need the AP or a Tactrix, really no avoiding that one-time purchase if you want to treat your car right.

Dave at Cryotune is awesome. It took 10 tries but 40,000 miles later and she's not broken a piston yet and yes I am hard on it. I hear tuning alliance is also very good. For my 2 cents worth an off the shelf one size fits all map is not the best way to go. I opted for the tatrix cable and pro tuned it via email and some exciting pulls! Cryotune was a huge help. Dave is very good at what he does.

Does the Cobb Accessport stay plugged in all the time to the OBD port or can you upload a map and unplug. The reason I ask is because I have a Valentine1 Radar detector powered by the OBD port. I'll install the stock airbox today, I've been meaning too anyway.

Both my cobb AP's stay in a box on the floor in the back seat, I don't leave them plugged in.

Both cars have a custom Tuning Alliance tune. Your closer to Dave so I recommend you use him. It's just a east coast west coast thing with me. Both Tuners are the best.

My V1 is powered from some other place.

There are a few members from close to you, spend time on here and you'll find them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Does the Cobb Accessport stay plugged in all the time to the OBD port or can you upload a map and unplug. The reason I ask is because I have a Valentine1 Radar detector powered by the OBD port. I'll install the stock airbox today, I've been meaning too anyway.

If you get the V3 accessport you can view boost and intake temp and several other useful perimeters if you leave it plugged in. You dont have to though. I would hard wire the radar detector somewhere and get the v3. Its worth it!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived