LegacyGT.com

Clunk/rattle in front passenger suspension on '08 spec B

ATL08SpecB

Been trying to figure this one out for the past few months. At low speeds (<25mph) there is a pretty noticeable clunk in the front passenger side suspension. Even at crawling speeds going over speed bumps it will clunk ( more like 2 distinct sounds). The shop that did my timing belts said it might be the top hat. I took the wheel off and gave everything a good shake and didn't hear anything. Anyone have a suggestion to the cause or a fix?

Typical things to check initially would be the sway bar endlinks and sway bar bushings.
Also, check the lower control arm bushings. The "tennis ball" bushing tends to go out or tear.

I had the same problem with my 3.0R. I would also get a random steering wheel vibration that would come and go at >55mph.

Ended up being the strut. However in order to find it, I replaced everything.(LCA bushings, swaybar endlinks, ball joint, wheel bearing, tie-rod end, strut and strut mount)

I started with the cheapest items first and worked my way to the most expensive (strut). Ended up being the strut upper internal bushing that was worn out that would cause the clunk and random vibration. The Bilsteins have not impressed me much on this car. They are expensive and don't seem to be built very well. Handling is good, but ride comfort is mehh...

What did you end up doing? Did you replace the strut or the whole suspension set up?

I just used it as an excuse to go coilovers. Went with KW. I was convinced it was a LCA bushings, but the shop diagnosed the bad strut. I thought the top hat could be shot and was skeptical it was the strut. Turns out the top hat was fine and no more clunks after just replacing the struts.

• 3 weeks later...

Check if you have spring isolators on the bottom of your springs where it contacts the struts. If it's a thin piece of plastic, it's probably worn. I have Bilstein HD's and pinks I installed which rattled and thumped at low speed's. After removing the spring, I took a 1.5' of 5/8" fuel hose and threaded it up the bottom of the spring, leaving 3/8" extending past the end of the spring to isolate the spring from the strut.

This helped stabilize the spring and greatly reduced the NVH. Three feet of hose is roughly $10.

SOLVED: It was the top hat bolt (IDK what its real name is, the one under the rubber cap on top of the strut). It was loose almost 3 turns. Tightened it up and no more rattle that I delt with for months. Thank god is wasn't the strut.

• 1 month later...

Archived