LegacyGT.com

whiteline bump-steer w/ stock springs

Eville Rich

I'm in the process of refreshing the front suspension bushings on my 2007 LGT. I'm talking with a shop to install the Whiteline control arm bushings and swaybar links. ~140,000 miles on the stock LCA bushings and my recent replacement of calipers/rotors/pads revealed them to be fairly torn. The swaybar links are starting to rattle a bit.

Anyway, the shop is suggesting the Whiteline bump-steer kit in case the ball joints and tie-rods need replacing. My view is that I may as well replace this stuff "while they are in there." The shop hasn't actually seen the car at this point, so it's more of a contingency.

I'm running OEM springs and KYB struts. No plans to lower the suspension. My concern with the Whiteline bump steer kit is that it's really setup for a lowered suspension. Some reading and words of caution suggest that the bump steer kit may have a negative effect on steering as its made to push the control arms down to compensate for lowering springs. But I don't know if this is true.

Are the bump steer kits a reasonable alternative to OEM ball joints and tie-rods for an otherwise OEM ride height? Any issues with salty winters and corrosion? Any reason to NOT do the bump steer kit?

Thanks much

Eville Rich

2007 LGT

If your suspension remains at stock height, there should be no issue with bump steer, so that makes me wonder if the shop is thinking of something else. You can definitely benefit by using firmer LCA bushings, though. There are also kits available for "anti-lift" which combine firmer bushings with some adjustment to add caster.

Another thing you might be interested in is a set of aluminum replacement lower control arms made by Mevotech. These already have new bushings and ball joints fitted and that saves labor.

Archived