LegacyGT.com

Its burning oil. What do I do.

So I changed my oil today so I had fresh stuff in my car to see if I could spot any leaks. But when the old oil was coming out it smelled like gas. I beleive my car Is burning oil. I have options. 1:Sell Car Get New, 2:Rebuild engine, 3:replace all parts that could leak just in case its a leak and not burning. What do you say I do.

^This and in the meantime, gather everything you need to rebuild the engine. Probably escaping through the valve seals as that is the most common reason for burning oil. When/If you replace the plugs, do a quick compression test and leakdown test to see if there is any compression issues or if it is leaking past your piston rings.

Do you actually have gas in your oil? That is a pretty serious problem. Left untreated it will allow the cylinder walls to smooth out, scuff your bearings, and steal the last can of soda from your fridge.

I've not had this myself and so I haven't researched all the things that can lead to it in a modern FI engine. My first guess would be an injector that weeps fuel. When you park it there is a bunch of fuel pressure in the system that leaks away through the funky injector and falls down into a cylinder, then drips past the rings. Once it's in there it doesn't really come back out.

When you start it the first time in the morning does it take more cranking than when you start it after a short stop like tanking up? The system is supposed to maintain fuel pressure even when off, but if it is leaking away it takes a sec for it to build up before it's ready to run.

+1.

Also, setnev, I bet you're the guy that beat me to all the engines at upickit for the last few years.

No, I've never bought engines from Upickit. They're wickedly overpriced and they nickel and dime you on everything. I do know the guys who did.

I went there a couple times looking for a SVX motor when they had one and it was gone within hours of the notification email coming to me. No one would fess up on who snagged it. About two years ago, they raised their prices on complete engines. They used to be $150 plus a $40 core and you got everything that was bolted onto the engine, now they're $350 with an $85 core and they make you pay extra for the accessories, fuel rail, throttle body, coil, etc. It's robbery. I can go to Phoenix and get a complete engine for less than $200 from the yards there but recently I'm going the JDM engine route. Less risk and a full warranty, but a higher cost.

They sure are over priced now. I don't like them at all, but I'd rather have an argument with them that the fuel pump I'm holding is not in fact an ignition coil than go the hell^H^H^H^H Phoenix. Well, maybe in January...

True story. The girl was insisting repeatedly that it was an ignition coil. The attached fuel sender and fuel lines didn't sway her. Nor the lack of electical connections. I think it was the gas dribbling on the counter that finally got her. Seriously.

Archived