LegacyGT.com

2008 2.5 gt leaking oil leak from turbo housing

I recently tried to reseal leaking turbo. It had an oil leak from the bottom of the housing which I thought was the oil return tube and/or gasket. so purchased all the gaskets Subaru would sell me. I put everything on and the turbo is still leaking oil. it looks like the case where the large metal clamp goes around the exhaust side of the turbo is leaking. I'm pretty sure that's where the leak is from. I tried tightening that clamp and I had no luck fixing it. I found some turbo rebuild kits online that come with a bunch of the internal parts including some some gaskets which I believe is the culprit.

My questions are; should I butythe rebuild kit?

is it worth trying to do this on my own?

is there a simpler fix?

can I buy just the gasket?

am I asking enough questions? lol

TIA

Most of us will tell you to send the turbo to member JmP6889928 and have him rebuilt it.

My tuner http://www.tuningalliance.com can rebuilt it to.

Lot's of us have found its better in the long run to do it right the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most of us will tell you to send the turbo to member JmP6889928 and have him rebuilt it.

My tuner http://www.tuningalliance.com can rebuilt it to.

Lot's of us have found its better in the long run to do it right the first time.

Literally after liking that my 161K mile turbo started blowing smoke on the drive home. I stayed out of boost (12 miles) got it home and parked it. Ill pull the DP in the morning check the shaft play if it's really bad (sure it will be) ill pull the turbo and replace with a 52 or BNR 16G.

Ill follow your path as I want to be as stock as possible, new turbo stock fuel and I'm going to have Brittany at TA work on the tune.

Sorry to hear its that time, but you'll be happy with the result.

The car still surprised me every now and then, it runs so well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry to hear its that time, but you'll be happy with the result.

The car still surprised me every now and then, it runs so well.

Yeah so dropped the new turbo in bolted everything back, added the coolant back, burped and took her out for a spin everything good but got P0420.

I imagine the O2 is soaked in oil from the blown turbo, so I'll pick a up a new O2. I have two DPs so ill drop the Turbo XS, see about cleaning the oil out of the converter but ill run stock DP + KN panel for the tune and swap back to the 3" once I get my rebuilt and upgraded VF46 from 6star Speed.

Archived