LegacyGT.com

Engine noise, 2016 legacy 2.5

FIXED!

The noise is normal valve train noise. The problem is it was transmitting through the fire wall through a misaligned steering column bracket. The service ticket says steering column assembly r&r and steering column lower support r&r. The grommet was put back in place and the noise is now gone. Also now that I think of it, my steering wheel had the slightest bit of up/down movement when I shook it. It was a bit worrisome, but now that little bit of play has also been eliminated.

The car has about 23k miles. It has been making a faint fluttering or ticking noise, under all types of acceleration, light, heavy, normal etc. It can even be heard while revving in neutral., (so it's not wind noise). It can be heard while accelerating and also after you take your foot off the pedal and let the revs drop.

It's easiest heard under light acceleration as it's not competing with normal engine revving sound. The sound is difficult to explain, but it's similar to a slight exhaust leak.

Dealer says it's normal valve train noise. But I also have a '15 outback 2.5i with 40k miles and it's quiet throughout it's entire rev range. So I do not feel this noise is normal. This is my 4th Subaru, ('05 gt, '12 2.5i), and it's the 8th in the family. None have had this sound.

I searched this forum and see that people have had some noise complaints, but this one seems a little different.

Dealer says it's normal valve train noise. But I also have a '15 outback 2.5i with 40k miles and it's quiet throughout it's entire rev range. So I do not feel this noise is normal. This is my 4th Subaru, ('05 gt, '12 2.5i), and it's the 8th in the family. None have had this sound.I

Take it to a different dealer ...... considering your previous Subaru ownership you would seem to know what is "normal" and what is not ...... obviously the original dealer has convinced himself the noise is "normal" and he is unlikely to admit he could be wrong. I'm a great believer in a second (or even third opinion) on things medical and mechanical.

I just hit the 17K mile mark on my 2015 which was delivered Nov 2014. I have been hearing sort of a slight tick as well but I am guessing it's either the CVT chain or the timing chain. It goes away at higher rpms but more noticeable at idle and during cold starts. I wonder if this is the same issue you're having.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I have this too if we are talking about the same thing. It is really annoying! I really need to record the sound and see when it happens the most but I get this ticking/fluttering/clicking noise from the engine when it is under acceleration at varying levels. It's had this noise since I got the car at 28k (now 46k) miles.

I started receiving this noise in the past 500 miles and I'm currently at 24400. It only rattles around 2100-2500 RPM. The rattle is in quick succession or like a creaking door. I also started hearing something that sounds like a small flap or panel closing (probably the throttle body?) when I release of the foot pedal and the car slows down.

I have scheduled service for today but I'm hoping it's just a heat shield.

Picked up the car from the dealer yesterday. After going for a few test drives, opening the hood and revving in neutral. We are about 90% convinced its valve train noise, ticking. Although we drove the managers '17 legacy 2.5, and noticed it was much quieter.

Dropping off the car again tomorrow for the tech and shop foreman to look into it further.

I noticed to best situation to hear the noise is at about 40mph going slightly uphill. This allows for low road and wind noise and just enough acceleration to hear the issue.

Picked up the car from the dealer yesterday. After going for a few test drives, opening the hood and revving in neutral. We are about 90% convinced its valve train noise, ticking. Although we drove the managers '17 legacy 2.5, and noticed it was much quieter.

Dropping off the car again tomorrow for the tech and shop foreman to look into it further.

I noticed to best situation to hear the noise is at about 40mph going slightly uphill. This allows for low road and wind noise and just enough acceleration to hear the issue.

If it is valve train noise, what will this mean? Can it be fixed? Covered by warranty I assume? I will try to find an uphill 40 mph location because I am very certain I have the same issue as you and I really hate this noise. I tried capturing it on video this morning but too much outside noise from trucks. Please keep us updated!!

Alright I tried to get some of the noise that I am experiencing in my dash cam footage, I found a good hill to go up and tried to get some of the noise to happen. OP let me know if any of this footage sounds any similar to what you are experiencing! In particular go to 40 seconds, then listen carefully when the clicky/clacky noise happens at around 43 seconds. Note the engine in my video was a bit cold so it is louder but I find it is easier to simulate the clicky noise while it is colder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClsacgdRjY

Alright I tried to get some of the noise that I am experiencing in my dash cam footage, I found a good hill to go up and tried to get some of the noise to happen. OP let me know if any of this footage sounds any similar to what you are experiencing! In particular go to 40 seconds, then listen carefully when the clicky/clacky noise happens at around 43 seconds. Note the engine in my video was a bit cold so it is louder but I find it is easier to simulate the clicky noise while it is colder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WClsacgdRjY

I would say that does not sound like the noise my car made. Your noise sounds like a straight rattle. Check the steering wheel grommet anyway.

I would say that does not sound like the noise my car made. Your noise sounds like a straight rattle. Check the steering wheel grommet anyway.

What should I check in my case for this rattle sound? Glad yours got fixed!

• 1 year later...
I get the exact same noises you are describing, at similar RPMs, exacerbated when cold. I dont know enough about the engine or subarus in general to comment on whether or not its normal, but reading threads on this it seems like this is just the way they are. Not sure what if anything to do about it, but i do use synthetic only and i do not stretch my oil changes at all. The only worry is what happens if the timing chain stretches over time because the chain tensioner is ****** up. Eventually that would cause a major problem. I love the timing chain design, but this is always a risk. of course if its just a rattle/noise that has no technical impact, i guess i can live with that. I would feel more comfortable if an engineer or subaru mechanic could opine on what is normal.

Archived