LegacyGT.com

Why is my EWG not opening? causing overboost

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

The Supertrapp muffler I had on my dump tube was causing enought restriciton to cause the overboost.

Hey everybody,

First off, I drive a 05 Legacy GT with the factory intake, BNR 16G, Invidia catted downpipe, and a Greddy catback. Stock Injectors.

I'm in the process of getting tuned and i'm having problems with overboosting. Right before I started tuning I installed a grimmspeed EWG up pipe, Turbosmart Compgate 40 EWG (7psi Spring), grimmspeed EBCS, and a adjustable grimmspeed wastegate bracket to keep the factory turbos wastegate closed (BNR16G).

I have the vacuum line setup exactly like grimmspeed recommends. Port 1 going to turbo inlet pipe, port 2 going to lower wastegate port, port 3 going to the turbo nipple, and the upper wastegate port venting to atmosphere. I was overboosting up to 22psi and hitting fuel cut with this setup.

I then tried running wastegate spring pressure by running a line straight from the turbo to the lower wastegate port, but I was able to hit 13 psi (I could have easily hit more, just stopped there) without the EWG opening. When I installed the EWG I made sure that the valve seat was installed, and I could compress the spring with my finger. So it was able to move during install. But I had to compress the spring with the valve seat into the EWG maybe an 1/8" in order for me to get the V-Band clamp on. Is that normal? Why is it not opening?

When getting into boost, I do hear boost being vented somewhere, but too hard to tell where. All my AF Learning parameter are within 3 so I don't think I have a boost / vacuum leak somewhere.

Can anybody help figure out why I am overboosting? Thanks.

Yes I'm positive I don't have the lines upside down. I'm using all new vacuum lines with no pill installed. I pulled the ewg yesterday and verified it is functioning correctly. I hooked a bike pump up to it and it actuated smoothly, no binding. I even pulled the intercooler and made sure the turbo nipple isn't plugged up with something.

I currently have it open to atmosphere, but I am running a supertrapp disc muffler. I've seen plenty of ppl run this muffler without issues, so I don't think that is the problem. But I'm tempted to pull it off to see if anything changes.

I did pull the EWG on Saturday and everything looked good. I hooked my bike pump up to it and everything was moving smoothly. I verified I have the correct spring (7psi). I did find an older grimmspeed ebcs manual that has a different vacuum routing. I'm going to try that and see how it works compared to the new style.

Take the super trap off and see if it's better. I have heard of cases where it prevents the ewg from doing its job.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I removed the Supertrapp muffler and my EWG opened right at the 7psi spring pressure and held there all the way to redline (Thats what my tune is currently set at). Thank you everyone for their help with diagnosing this problem. Greatly appreciated.

Archived