LegacyGT.com

Leaky OEM BPV symptoms?

Has anyone had a leaky stock bpv and what were the symptoms?

I'm getting my OBXT tuned by cryo (awesome experience by the way) and he's saying there may be a delayed boost reponse to where boost should be. I did get a new revision tonight and I'll reflash tomorrow. But. He suggested what he's seeing in the logs may possibly be pointing to a pre turbo leak and to check over the headers, up pipe and possibly a leaking BPV.

I've checked over all of the usual hoses for leaks, checked the headers/up pipe (will do again tomorrow) and had it tested negative for boost leaks and am leaning towards at least giving a used bpv a shot. It does make a "pshht" noise in between shifts that sounds very similar to an atmospheric vent bov but that could be the cobb inlet?

Mods thus far are:

BNR 16G

EL headers

Catless up

Catted down

Cobb turbo inlet

Any and all input appreciated

I don't understand the logs and data stuff, but (a pre-turbo leak) sounds like he's thinking the intake hose to the turbo or the exhaust feed.

"delayed boost response"

So your saying the turbo is slow to spool up ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't understand the logs and data stuff, but (a pre-turbo leak) sounds like he's thinking the intake hose to the turbo or the exhaust feed.

"delayed boost response"

So your saying the turbo is slow to spool up ?

I've had it smoke tested with no leaks so I'm hoping it's not the inlet.

I don't know what spool on this car is suppose to feel like. But I do know when taking off it feels like a N/A car until bam. Turbo time.

I however. Do remember. When I got the car it felt like instant takeoff.

Thanks for getting back max!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. So. Back to square one. New bpv didn't help. Haven't found a leak anywhere. I've taken off and replaced gaskets at the intercooler, replaced intake manifold gaskets, replaced exhaust manifold gaskets, made sure everything is tight and sealed, the maf, front 02 and rear 02 are new and I just can't figure it out. Slow spool and af learning 1A is at +15 now. Turbo is new with a little over 3k on it.

This is driving me insane!

If it's the stock inlet tube, look again where the tube connects at the turbo. I bet it's leaking under the clamp where the little flap is supposed the keep the clamp in position. Also check the small line that comes from the boost solenoid to the turbo, in My car there was a reducer in this line and it was leaking when the rubber warmed up.

If it's the stock inlet tube, look again where the tube connects at the turbo. I bet it's leaking under the clamp where the little flap is supposed the keep the clamp in position. Also check the small line that comes from the boost solenoid to the turbo, in My car there was a reducer in this line and it was leaking when the rubber warmed up.

It's actually a Cobb Inlet. Doesn't mean it's not leaking there though.

I know the reducer you're talking about. Maybe I'll just replace it to rule out another factor.

most turbo leaks (making it go lean under boost), are from the stock turbo inlet ripping. My moneys on that

That would be my thought if it wasn't an aftermarket inlet. Still doesn't mean it's not leaking there.

I'm going to go over some stuff again. And make sure the maf o ring is also seated and tightened.

Thank you all for the replies!

Alright. Went back over EVERYTHING. And nothing has changed. AF 1A still goes straight to 15. Tried a different maf as well. I did notice my turbo side of the IC MIGHT not be totally flush but looks pretty dang close.

I DO. However hear a slight whistle on the drivers side of the car when I bounce the rpms between 1500-2500k rpms. Is that the bpv? I can only hear it inside of the car and outside of the car while leaning next to the drivers side wheel. Too much other noise while overhead.

May have found. All. Part. Or none of the problem tonight. I can hear a vacuum leak sound at what I believe is the fuel pressure regulator.

The small hose that comes off of the drivers side of the manifold connects to a...uhhhh....disc shaped object and when I get down close to it I can for sure hear an air leak.

I pulled the hose that connects to the manifold off of the regulator and plugged it and I can't hear it coming from the hose. After I did this the af learning 1a started dropping pretty rapidly.

Question is. Is the vacuum noise I hear normal or not?

Archived