LegacyGT.com

3.6R Oil Consumption

A new short block should remedy your oil consumption, but the motor will not run the same.

I drove my old 3.6r after the short block was replaced. It wasn't as smooth.

I hope it works out for you.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

A new short block should remedy your oil consumption, but the motor will not run the same.

I drove my old 3.6r after the short block was replaced. It wasn't as smooth.

I hope it works out for you.

I have a manager who owns a 2013 Outback (2.5), and he's eligible for a new block, but this is his exact concern. He's got a repeatable system down for topping off the oil that he's comfortable with and doesn't want to risk introducing new issues that could impact driveability of a car that he otherwise likes quite a lot.

I'm actually starting to worry about mine. I went through a quart in 2000 miles. I don't believe I went through as much with my last change. I wanna say it's my driving habits but I don't think that's it. I'm gonna switch to Motul 300V and see how much I burn through but if I have the same results, I may be needing one as well. Given my cars at 67k miles I'm not sure what I want to do. I've still got 33k left on my bumper to bumper warranty and 1 1/2 years.

Changing to a new/rebuilt short block should not have an impact on how an engine runs unless there is something wrong and or out of spec. A new short block would have a break in period but that is all. If the heads were put on as they were removed then there could be issues there. I would at least have the heads gone through and checked, I'm talking valve job, guide clearances, decl flatness/finish and valve seals. Rings are not the only way to burn oil.

Choosing to burn oil is not good for the engine, the cats, the environment, it decreases octane, raises your static compression ratio, builds carbon deposits some the valves, piston tops and combustion chambers and fouls plug. None of which make for a good running engine and decreases performance.

Has Subaru disclosed what they think the manufacturing defect for oil consumption is?

Archived