LegacyGT.com

5MT replacement questions??? SUBARU TRANSMISSION GURUS NEEDED!

turbett1

Ok guys I have been searching all over about replacing my transmission I have a 2006 5MT, trans code TY757VBCAB and I have found some direct replacements (~$1200). The reason for replacement is I have developed a noise after my first clutch replacement that is getting worse. At idle there is a metal tick/clunk sound almost sounds like rod knock coming from the trans (worse with AC on) that goes away once the clutch is fully disengaged, and on decel im getting a growl which after thinking through everything I believe it is the input shaft bearings going out. It is definatley not a throw out bearing noise (dealt with this before) or pilot bearing noise as i've done 2 clutch replacements and the noise is still there and getting worse. I do have the TSK3 sleeve and it is installed correctly.

My questions are:

1) What are the differences in the 06' TY757VBCAB and the 05' TY757VBAAB transmissions? Other than the year obviously :p.

Are they the same transmission with a different code just because of the year change or are there differences?

2) If I were to buy a JDM 5MT say a TY757VBBAB out of a JDM Legacy 2.0GT MY05 would it swap right in everything hook up the same? I know the ratios are identical and the first gear synchro is different as its a dual cone, but I am curious about the speed sensor will it work and be accurate in a USDM Legacy GT? Only reason I am asking about JDM is I am finding them for considerably less $$ than the USDM transmissions and they have a lot less mileage on them <65k.

Edited by turbett1
Added some info

• 2 weeks later...

Minor differences in the TY757Vxxxx transmissions are usually gear ratios, differential ratios (also known as final drive ratio), and Synchronizer rings.

I can attest to the TY757VBCAB being a pretty bad transmission. (mine started making noises at 150k miles). I currently have a TY757VBABB out of a JDM '04 2.0gt Spec.B in my '05 2.5i. Wonderful transmission, and I got it for really, really, cheap. The catch is I had to replace the rear differential (in this case a 4.44 VLSD off of an '04 Forester XT).

I have also *had* a TY757BBAB out of a JDM '05 2.0gt which was making bearing noises (Or so I thougt... truthfully I think it was low on fluid). When I swapped this trans in to my 2.5i, I also replaced the rear diff with a 4.11 VLSD.

The transmissions will bolt right up as expected, but I do have some notes specific to the TY757Vxxxx's that you may find helpful.

1. The Turbo cars and the N/A cars use different Reverse/Neutral Sensor harnesses, in order to make the swap work, you will need to pull the harness off of your original trans and out it onto the new one. (Sensors are the same though)

2. Make absolutely sure that both sensors have a washer on them when inserting them. Without a washer the neutral sensor makes contact with the shift rail internally causing the gear shift to bind. In my case the gear shifter was very hard to move, and I could only get the car into 1st,3rd, and 5th gear and even then it did not feel like it was actually in gear.

3. Replace the axle seals on the transmission before you put it into the car.

4. The dipsticks between the turbo trans and the N/A trans are different. Either will work on the N/A.

5. When shopping for clutches, note that the clutch fork in the turbo trans may be different than the throw out bearing coming with a clutch kit is designed for. The Clutch fork the on TY757VCACA is thin and narrow, and the TOB won't fit on the Turbo trans fork. This may take some guessing, but as far as I can tell the TY757VBBAB had a newer style thicker/wider fork and the TY757VBABB had a smaller thinner fork. The TY757VCACA's TOB almost looks like it would fit on the TY757CBABB's fork, but it doesn't.

6. The 05-09 Legacy's do not have speed sensors on the trans.

7. Drain the trans fluid before you drop the trans, and don't fill it until it's back in the car. (It will spill out when full, and either the driveshaft or axles aren't inserted.)

Hope this helps!

• 2 years later...

When shopping for clutches, note that the clutch fork in the turbo trans may be different than the throw out bearing coming with a clutch kit is designed for. The Clutch fork the on TY757VCACA is thin and narrow, and the TOB won't fit on the Turbo trans fork. This may take some guessing, but as far as I can tell the TY757VBBAB had a newer style thicker/wider fork and the TY757VBABB had a smaller thinner fork. The TY757VCACA's TOB almost looks like it would fit on the TY757CBABB's fork, but it doesn't.

Similar to my question in the other thread re TY757VBABB transmission - do we know the OEM part #s for TOB/fork that are correct? How does this figure in the context of PDM TSK kits? During my swap TSK3 kit would not fit on the snout of this transmission, and OEM TOB (30502AA120) was installed instead.

Up in the sticky at the top of the 4th Gen Forum, there is a sticky for Subaru dealers. Email one of them to see which TOB fork will fit.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243.html

Also most Dealerships have online parts ordering so you can look locally too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll email a dealer I've been getting my OEM parts from. As for their catalogs - they seem to be US centric, and I couldn't find parts for JDM trims.

If someone knows the answer, please chime in!