LegacyGT.com

Windows only roll up 1" at a time..

So I have been looking through forums and google to figure out why my windows only roll up 1" at a time. Yesterday afternoon I disconnected my battery to install a new power cable for my amplifier, did not do anything else. I reconnected and then my two front windows are able to roll all the way down fine (have to hold, not one touch) but when you roll them back up they only roll up 1 inch at a time. My rear windows roll down and up perfectly like normal.

Now before when I disconnected the battery, all it did was disable the 1 touch windows and I did the reset where you roll it halfway down, hold 1 second, finish rolling it all the way down and hold, then roll it all the way up and hold. That worked before, but with this new strange thing happening I can't reset it like that because they will only roll up 1 inch at a time. Help! I reset the battery again and that didn't work, :( looked in the manual and nothing says anything about it only rolling up an inch at a time.

I don't think the motors are going bad, that would be a really big coincidence for both the front left and right window motors to go bad at the same time I did my battery disconnect...idk

That’s a strange scenario seeing both windows are now doing the same thing. If the link provided by Ronin3.6R doesn’t help, this is a bit of a long shot but have you added any LED interior or under door puddle lights? Certain LEDs can cause problems on these later generation Subarus. If you haven’t already tried it, close your doors & wait until the interior lights have turned off before trying your window.

If the above doesn't work, isolate the new power cable for your amplifier & try it. Did you happen to disturb anything by mistake while installing the new cable?

This happened to me when I accidentally left a dome light on. Charged my battery up and everything was back to normal except the window symptoms you described. Took it to the dealership and they said that its a software problem that occurred when the battery was drained. I don't know what they did exactly but they fixed it rather quick under warranty. Now everything is good.

One quick solution you could try out which fixed issues after disconnecting a battery especially...try holding all four window buttons up at the same time for 10-12 seconds and you should hear a faint 'click' , that resets the motor and after shutting the car off and on a few times it should fix most issues.

Thanks, I tried this but it did not help at all :(.

One quick solution you could try out which fixed issues after disconnecting a battery especially...try holding all four window buttons up at the same time for 10-12 seconds and you should hear a faint 'click' , that resets the motor and after shutting the car off and on a few times it should fix most issues.

I will try this next time....I woke up today and drove to work. Windows were still not working properly. I went to roll them down near the end of my commute and the one touch worked...so I go to roll them up and they rolled up perfectly fine....I have no idea what happened. So I guess they work now thanks to some random anomaly. Thanks guys for your help! I will try the four down at once method if this happens again. Also to the guy asking if I had LED installs or anything, nope. I also made sure to go through every area I had laid my wiring out and where I may have touched anything and it was not near anything else to my knowledge that would hinder other parts of the car.

One positive thing out of all of this is that I love that I don't have the annoying child safety rear window thing where they roll half way down anymore :lol:

If the battery is disconnected they loose their "memory". To fix them, starting with the drivers window switch on the drivers door, roll the window all the way down and continue to hold the button for 2-3 seconds in the down position, then roll the window up and continue to hold the button for 2-3 seconds in the up position. That will reset the drivers window. Then do the same thing from the passenger door window switch for the passenger window. You have to do the drivers window first or you won't be able to reset the passenger.

Archived