LegacyGT.com

Excessive window height

I just had to replace both a broken driver-side window switch and the window motor on my 2005 Legacy GT. With some great help from some Youtube videos, I managed the disassembly and replacement just fine. However, the window goes up and stops about 1/2" too high. That makes it come into contact with the metal roof channel, jarring the window (and if the door is slammed too hard, messing up the regulator or worse, risk of shattering the glass).

My research on the web has not turned up anything that works: if the motor is a "learning" motor that counts the revolutions to the top, I haven't got it to work yet, and trying various starting positions of the motor cog along the regulator tooth track doesn't make a difference either.

Any experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Both the motor and the switch were purchased new, but are after-market versions (non-OEM).

I'm not sure what can be adjusted at this point. I've attached the regulator in the exact same spots, where the nuts or bolts have left wear marks on the door panel. I'm considering trying to block the last tooth in the regulator track to stop the upward motion, though.

Yes, it goes down all the way. The regulator bolts on to steel rails which the glass is attached to - no way to adjust those rails or the regulator attachment points on those rails.

Since the regulator has got 6 bolt holes in the door panel (5 of which are holes and not adjustable slots), seems like the only place for adjustment is with the motor travel. I must be missing something here.

Archived