LegacyGT.com

Clear Side Markers?

Hi All,

I contacted DK Moulds in NY to see if they would possibly develop a clear side marker for our 15-17 6th Gen vehicle. I know that the JDM and AUS spec have these but it would be great to have it for ours as well.

Would any of you be interested if they created clear side markers for our vehicle? I'm trying to gain at least 10 since they would run about $40-50.

Would they be dot approved?

An amber reflex reflector is required under FMVSS 108. Clear reflex reflectors are not legal in the US. Personally, I think you're unlikely to get pulled over for it or get a ticket. But still, it's technically not legal in the US.

Also, just gonna mention since I'm familiar with lighting - lighting devices are self-certified in the US. Lighting manufacturers and OEMs are not required to do anything like submit parts to the DOT for certification or such - they typically do the testing themselves to verify the light meets legal requirements.

Would they be dot approved?

So it depends on what state you're in. In NJ it can be any color as long as it emits lights. I may just buy a white colored led bulb that emits an amber color.

39:3-50. All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color.

038c02339ab0a53cf739727a9023adb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MrCobbs

... lighting devices are self-certified in the US. Lighting manufacturers and OEMs are not required to do anything like submit parts to the DOT for certification or such - they typically do the testing themselves to verify the light meets legal requirements.

It's also worth mentioning that DOT certification is both at the component level and the installation level ... lamp + optics + housing + mounting. Replacing the lamp in a headlight with a different type, for example, invalidates the DOT certification of the headlight assembly ... even if the replacement lamp itself is DOT compliant.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

So it depends on what state you're in. In NJ it can be any color as long as it emits lights. I may just buy a white colored led bulb that emits an amber color.

I guess it's worth mentioning the difference between a reflex reflector and a side marker.

Side markers are the actual lights that emit to the side of the vehicle. A front and rear side marker is required under federal law. The front ones must be amber, and the rear ones must be red. (FMVSS 108 Table I-a)

The reflex reflectors are the plastic lenses that reflect light rather than emit them. Typically, you'll see a side marker integrated with the reflex reflector in some way or another. That's the case with our headlamps.

In the US, both the front side marker and front reflex reflector need to be amber in color. The law you quoted is a more generic way of aligning with federal standards - headlamps obviously cannot output blue or red light and such. The front lights must only have white, yellow, or amber colors. It doesn't mean that the side marker can be white - it still needs to comply with federal standards too which require an amber color for side marker.

Just want to note - I don't mean to be rude or a dick or anything. I work in automotive lighting and like to put my somewhat specific knowledge to good use when I can. Also doesn't mean I agree with the laws or think people shouldn't retrofit headlamps or anything like that.

How are you rude when you know about automotive lighting markers? Don't feel a certain way when you're enlightening others on a personal modification.

Lol would anyone be interested in the clear side markers?

I'm currently looking for a set to send to manufacturer so that he can develop it for our cars.

Once that's done he says he can do 1 set per day and ship then out on a first come first serve basis with 20% of on the 1st 10 sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a spare right side one from the headlight I bought to practice opening. It's painted black but could be sanded off if need be. If you need me to mail it somewhere I'd be happy to.

I would have done this if they were available when I did my retrofit, ended up just painting mine black. I know it's not legal but let's be honest, has anyone ever been bothered for a burnt out sidemarker bulb?:p

I guess it's worth mentioning the difference between a reflex reflector and a side marker.

Side markers are the actual lights that emit to the side of the vehicle. A front and rear side marker is required under federal law. The front ones must be amber, and the rear ones must be red. (FMVSS 108 Table I-a)

The reflex reflectors are the plastic lenses that reflect light rather than emit them. Typically, you'll see a side marker integrated with the reflex reflector in some way or another. That's the case with our headlamps.

In the US, both the front side marker and front reflex reflector need to be amber in color. The law you quoted is a more generic way of aligning with federal standards - headlamps obviously cannot output blue or red light and such. The front lights must only have white, yellow, or amber colors. It doesn't mean that the side marker can be white - it still needs to comply with federal standards too which require an amber color for side marker.

Just want to note - I don't mean to be rude or a dick or anything. I work in automotive lighting and like to put my somewhat specific knowledge to good use when I can. Also doesn't mean I agree with the laws or think people shouldn't retrofit headlamps or anything like that.

Great information, you have provided there.

I have 2 questions since you are in the business:

-Why are US / Canada are the only countries in the world that require amber markers (I know couple of others prefer but not require like S. Korea)

-Why are we the only ones that allow rear red turn signals?

We were also the last country that pushed sealed beam headlights into the cars well into 2000s. My personal opinion is that when it comes to lightning, US is way behind with its old fashioned laws. They just need to be revisited.

Over the years, I have spent bunch of $$$$ swapping out red turn signals for amber ones and installing ROW headlights on to my cars which by the way have a much better light pattern.

If I kept my Legacy, one of my plans was to install a JDM spec headlights.

I hope the OP makes this happen. It should be an easy mod.

Its funny you mentioned this, a lot of us Legacy owners, including myself, have installed Turn-as-Tail kit. I personally like the look.

I have a spare right side one from the headlight I bought to practice opening. It's painted black but could be sanded off if need be. If you need me to mail it somewhere I'd be happy to.

I would have done this if they were available when I did my retrofit, ended up just painting mine black. I know it's not legal but let's be honest, has anyone ever been bothered for a burnt out sidemarker bulb?:p

Hey this would be great if you happen to still have it on hand. I can pay for shipping, etc. as well. Now is this the driver or passenger side that you have currently?

I'm not sure which is left or right haha.

I will go ahead and purchase the opposite housing from eBay and get that it cracked opened to send to the person that creates these!

I have 2 questions since you are in the business:

-Why are US / Canada are the only countries in the world that require amber markers (I know couple of others prefer but not require like S. Korea)

We were also the last country that pushed sealed beam headlights into the cars well into 2000s. My personal opinion is that when it comes to lightning, US is way behind with its old fashioned laws. They just need to be revisited.

Over the years, I have spent bunch of $$$$ swapping out red turn signals for amber ones and installing ROW headlights on to my cars which by the way have a much better light pattern.

If I kept my Legacy, one of my plans was to install a JDM spec headlights.

I hope the OP makes this happen. It should be an easy mod.

I admittedly can't tell you why we require amber side markers and allow red rear turn signals when when other countries don't. That goes beyond anything I know.

• 2 years later...

Did you end up getting the reflectors? How do I get a pair?

If you were not able to get them I've contacted klearz.com and they have estimated the cost to be around $50 per set with a minimum order of 5-10 set. They are able to produce these in different shades as well. They currently have the 5th gen available.

https://klearz.com/products/Subaru/10-14_legacy_clear_reflectors

Let me know if anyone is interested in getting a pair or is OP has already done this let me know!

Edited by andros

I admittedly can't tell you why we require amber side markers and allow red rear turn signals when when other countries don't. That goes beyond anything I know.
Its one of those crazy U.S. Laws that Identifies the Front of the Car while Driving..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk