LegacyGT.com

Child convertible car seat recommendations

Hi all! I did a little searching and couldn't find an existing thread with recommendations for actual child car seat brands. I recently purchased a Safety 1st Grow N Go EX Air 3-in-1 seat for my youngest and have had nothing but a headache trying to get it to sit flush in the back seat. I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy. It seems like because the seats slope inward it becomes difficult to get a seat to sit flush and secure when rear facing. I have tried towels and a seat protector that has grips but it still ends up moving and starts falling on its side. I was using the seat belt because that had a better hold than the LATCH system. Any information is appreciated!!

take the head rest off if you can on your seat, thats my wife and i did in our 04 outback and my 05 gt wagon. My wife has a britax and I have a recaro. Before that we had a britax with removable bases. When installing i usually get in and put my knee in the seat while pulling the latch mount straps. Try to put them on the right or left seat in the back too it got better crash performance than the middle.

What age? For a newborn through 1 year, you can't beat the Chicco. For larger rear-facing, Diono Radian with angle adjuster pad. For front-facing up to 40 lbs, the Radian is also the way to go. Except that in some cases, there are serious safety issues interacting with the kids on the side. What ages and sizes do you have?

I have a 5 year old that's in a full booster, no issues there. I also have a 1 year old who we bought this car seat for. So we do need a seat that can be rear facing but preferably last until we need to go front facing and then into full booster.

Regarding the sloping, the latch points are centered on the valley of the seat, so strange you'd have that problem when using them.

Whether using latch or belt, are you kneeling on the seat when tightening? It's important to get your weight into it.

Do you have cloth or upholstery?

If you can't get the Grow-n-go to stabilize, the Radian is great, I've used them in a dozen configurations. Two caveats there:

1. When rear-facing, it sticks forward pretty far and can interfere with the front seat. Center position with angle adjuster pad will address that and leave sufficient if not generous room for your 5YO.

2. Very serious here - when front facing and center mount with leather upholstery, the lip on the bottom rear corner of the seat can catch on and depress the belt release button on the side belts, causing a worst-case scenario. Do not mount in this configuration! When you go front facing, put the seat in a side position, not the center position, and you will have no problems.

Regarding the sloping, the latch points are centered on the valley of the seat, so strange you'd have that problem when using them.

Whether using latch or belt, are you kneeling on the seat when tightening? It's important to get your weight into it.

Do you have cloth or upholstery?

If you can't get the Grow-n-go to stabilize, the Radian is great, I've used them in a dozen configurations. Two caveats there:

1. When rear-facing, it sticks forward pretty far and can interfere with the front seat. Center position with angle adjuster pad will address that and leave sufficient if not generous room for your 5YO.

2. Very serious here - when front facing and center mount with leather upholstery, the lip on the bottom rear corner of the seat can catch on and depress the belt release button on the side belts, causing a worst-case scenario. Do not mount in this configuration! When you go front facing, put the seat in a side position, not the center position, and you will have no problems.

The back seat itself slopes so this particular seat isn't able to sit flush. And I think because the latch is in the center it isn't able to hold the car seat as well as the seat belt. Both my husband and I tried placing as much force on it and it seems secure until you drive around and turn a corner, the car seat leans. It's cloth upholstery. I will have to check out the other brands.

Wait, the latch isn't in the center. The latch system is on the two outer seats. If you want the seat in the center than you need to use the shoulder belt. It looks like the seat you bought has a narrow base and should fit on the "flat" part of the outer seating positions. Have you tried taking it to fire department, etc to see if they can install it correctly.

It looks like it should work fine based off of pictures.

I see what you mean this is a convertible car seat (Britax Marathon) in it's most reclined position. I would take the seat to a certified install place (fire station) and get their help. Looks like a bunch of towels need to be wedged under the base.

http://i.imgur.com/IiSoQev.jpg

If you are okay buying a different seat, the infant specific ones are really really nice. Being able to drag the kid out of the car and keep them still asleep has been a lifesaver.

Honestly that Britax looks better fitting than the Safety 1st one I have. The base is too wide so part of it sits on the angled part of the seat. I dont want to get an infant specific because shes already one and we already have an infant carrier, just need a convertible for when she outgrows (soon) that one. I will have to do more research and find one with a not so wide base and it should fit fine.

Archived