LegacyGT.com

Help with Engine tick/knock sound

Need help identifying this tick sound coming from the engine, it is a 2005 legacy 2.5 N/A with 193,500 miles on it. It is usually intermittent, sometimes not even noticeable, it's the loudest on startup and when I let off the gas/ first push the clutch in to shift. Not sure if it's just piston slap or rod knock or what. Any advice would help as I am new to the forum, thanks.

I can hear it when I first press the clutch in when the revs come down and the exhaust isn't loud, but if I hold the clutch in longer no it isn't audible past that first point

Need help identifying this tick sound coming from the engine, it is a 2005 legacy 2.5 N/A with 193,500 miles on it. It is usually intermittent, sometimes not even noticeable, it's the loudest on startup and when I let off the gas/ first push the clutch in to shift. Not sure if it's just piston slap or rod knock or what. Any advice would help as I am new to the forum, thanks.

Sounds like slap on cold start up. @ 194K miles no EJ is quiet you could swap to a high mileage variant oil or to a heavier weight if its that bad (Xw-40)

Currently has 5w40 in it. I've realized the slap is much more noticeable once the engine has reached full operating temperature (when the oil would be the thinnest). When it is cold you can't hear it much at all

I don't think this is true. Yes, 5W40 behaves like a 40 weight oil when hot, but I don't believe it'll be thicker than 5 weight at room temperature. I've always understood it is the polymers put into the oil that stop it thinning out so much as it gets hot. These polymers have no lubricating ability so if you have the option of running a heavier base oil (like 10W or 20W) then technically it will lubricate better. But, I could be wrong.

Currently has 5w40 in it. I've realized the slap is much more noticeable once the engine has reached full operating temperature (when the oil would be the thinnest). When it is cold you can't hear it much at all

Sounds like the thicker state (cold start) is quieter than operating temp state. Get a video it could be the sound of early rod knock or a false flag caused by a bad pulley or other rotating part.

Archived