LegacyGT.com

Subaru H6 Twin Turbo MY06/07

agctr

Nissan is already saying that the US-bound version of the Skyline GTR (3.5L V-6 TT) is going to be priced in the $70K range under the Infiniti brand name. Not the $40K range. So if Subaru ever did bring it over here, it would easily be in the very high $40s if not the low $50K range. Remember, the new 3-Series Bemmers are selling in the mid-$40s for just the regular 3.0 liters.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not only does this picture give a first glimpse of the redesigned Subaru Legacy, they also confirm rumors that Subaru will offer their all-new Legacy in a hot 350-HP STi (Subaru Technica International)

I don't see how that picture confirms anything, looks like exactly what we are all driving now.

I believe the last issue of Car and Driver said that the B9 is based on a previous show car that sported a TTH6 and that Subaru was in the process of developing it for the B9 application.

Assuming the weight isn't stoopid, it sure is nice to dream about it in the LGT :D

It saddens me to see SOA have such a consistently low self image (and corresponding low estimation of American tastes and desires). I know it's hard for the little guys to take big risks, but that's how greatness is made!

With the right marketing (which they certainly seem to be doing lately) and truly no compromises (like, where's my steering wheel radio controls?!?) they could easily sell $45K Legacy STis here. If Chrysler can sell 300M Hemis for $45K then anything's possible!

I think countries in the Pacific Rim will be trialled first and then the US and Europe will get a crack. Its just nice to be apart of Subaru Australia when they are serioulsy looking at upgrading like this. It still might be in the pipeline but what a pipeline it is.

Ada///M.

i dont think they will bring it here, there is really no market for a 400hp 4 door sedan.

Call up your local BMW dealer and ask him how long the waiting list is for the new M5 or the E90 M3.

I agree that the USDM Spec B is not a very good test of Subaru's ability to sell an upgraded sport sedan. The suspension changes and tires are the only real performance upgrade to the Spec B. I would be more interested in it if they ditched the $2,000 navi (or made it an option), and instead gave the Spec B better brakes and a modest ECU reflash, up to, say, 275hp.

Also, since the Spec B is a limited edition, dealers are asking MSRP, whereas regular LGT's can easily be had for $1,000 under invoice. That makes the real price difference something like $8,000.

I think the TT H6 Legacy could be done for $39.9K, and if it were limited to, say, 1,000 units, dealers could get close to full price for them. It would certainly raise the profile of Subaru as a serious competitor to the BMW's and Audis of the world, which would give additional credibility to cars like the regular LGT and the WRX.

The B11S concept from a few years ago was rumored to be running a TT H6... Apparently GM had a twin turbo flat six going through emissions testing in Australia. The thought was that Subaru was having GM do the stuff so nobody would figure out that it was a Subaru engine...

According apparently to Subaru, a twin turbo H6 would ONLY be offered in an automatic tranny. Subaru does not currently make a manual transmission that they feel is capable of handling the kind of torque that engine would put out. The autos can easily be made to handle nearly as much power and torque as you want to make.

...there is really no market for a 400hp 4 door sedan...
Well I definitely wouldn't say that at all! Mercedes is doing extremely well with their AMG line. Something like 40% of all current model year production cars with over 400hp belong to Mercedes, and at least half of those are 4 door. The M5 has always been a flagship model for BMW and the up-and-coming V8 M3 is supposed to have ~ 400 I believe. RS4 and RS6 from Audi. The supercharged Jag's are making like 390. I guess Bentley and RR don't really count even though they have 4-doors with a good 400 HP :cool:. Anyway I'm sure there are quite a few I didn't think of...

...BUT... how much do the cars listed above cost? Cheapest one is probably one of the AMG Mercedes at over $80,000... What if there were a Subaru as nice or nicer than the LGT Limited with over 400 HP and gobs of torque (plus AWD, of course :) ) that was half that price? Sounds like a winner!

Jeremy

Who just purchased GM's shares of Heavy Fuji....Toyota:) Toyota is said to be introducing a "performance automatic tranny" AHEM.....8 speed:eek:

Again if this TT H6 "PIPE DREAM" Does come true....does come to the states....I will def be on the wating list:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

That would be great, but seriously, what would I do with a 400 HP wagon...?

From Car and Driver, 10/05, Mercedes E55 Wagon:

•The 0-to-60-mph acceleration of a Porsche 911 Carrera S.

•The quarter-mile time of a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti.

•The 0-to-150-mph time of a Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (a second quicker is okay, too).

•The cargo capacity of a luxury SUV—the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, only bigger.

I think if Mercedes can make their E55 beast into a uberwagon, why not a 400 HP Legacy for 1/2 the price?

I think there would be a market...

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

•The 0-to-150-mph time of a Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (a second quicker is okay, too).

And the handling of....well, a 3700lb wagon. Oink!

Not so much an E55 problem as a Mercedes problem as a whole, of course.

I think if Mercedes can make their E55 beast into a uberwagon, why not a 400 HP Legacy for 1/2 the price?

I think there would be a market...

How many E55 wagon's do they sell in this country a yr? - probably under 1,000. No way Subaru can afford to develop, test, certify, and produce a drivetrain for that kind of limited run. I just don't see Subaru going head to head with Porsche, AMG, BMW/M, Audi/S/RS models. If you ask M3 buyers if they would consider a Subaru with similar specs for less $$$ I don't think you'd get many takers - maybe 10-15%. Take the total number of ultra performance vehicles sold each year and multiply by 10-15% and that number is too low to justify development costs, plus its a big risk for Subaru. I'd love to see it, I just don't think there's much chance anytime soon.

And the handling of....well, a 3700lb wagon. Oink!

Not so much an E55 problem as a Mercedes problem as a whole, of course.

Correction: the handling of a 4,100 lb. wagon (although I'm sure it's one of the best handling 4,100 lb. wagons out there). Audi/VW have the same problem as Mercedes; an Audi S4 weighs 3,800+ lbs., as does a Passat W8.

With lighter weight and the boxer layout, the Legacy with H6 TT could be a great-handling car if done properly.

How many E55 wagon's do they sell in this country a yr? - probably under 1,000. No way Subaru can afford to develop, test, certify, and produce a drivetrain for that kind of limited run. I just don't see Subaru going head to head with Porsche, AMG, BMW/M, Audi/S/RS models. If you ask M3 buyers if they would consider a Subaru with similar specs for less $$$ I don't think you'd get many takers - maybe 10-15%. Take the total number of ultra performance vehicles sold each year and multiply by 10-15% and that number is too low to justify development costs, plus its a big risk for Subaru. I'd love to see it, I just don't think there's much chance anytime soon.

The E55 wagon is an $80,000 car, so it's sales numbers aren't really comparable (by the way, I'd guess they sell way less than 1,000 in the USA -- maybe 200.

I think Subaru could very easily attract buyers away from the Audi S cars, particularly as the latter get ever heavier and ever more expensive and no more reliable. There are a lot of guys on this board who previously had sporty Audis (like me). There are also a lot of Audi owners who don't even know that the 250hp turbo LGT exists.

Development costs should be based on worldwide sales, not USA sales. They don't need to reinvent an engine for this market, although there might be some differences in the overall package.

Hey, if Volvo can build the V70R with a base price of UNDER $40k, why can't Subaru make a Legacy STi wagon or sedan for about the same price? My next car was going to be the V70R before Subaru announced the LGT in Detroit last year. I had even talked w/ my local dealer about the V70R one day when I had my XC70 in for service and, w/ the options I wanted, it was about $44k MSRP. Granted it isn't as fast in a straight line, but it is a Volvo which means it's a VERY nice car and the adjustable suspension and 5 levels of traction control make it quite a driver as well. Oh yeah, can't forget about the 235/45/17 PZero's a standard equiptment.

Hey, if Volvo can build the V70R with a base price of UNDER $40k, why can't Subaru make a Legacy STi wagon or sedan for about the same price? My next car was going to be the V70R before Subaru announced the LGT in Detroit last year. I had even talked w/ my local dealer about the V70R one day when I had my XC70 in for service and, w/ the options I wanted, it was about $44k MSRP. Granted it isn't as fast in a straight line, but it is a Volvo which means it's a VERY nice car and the adjustable suspension and 5 levels of traction control make it quite a driver as well. Oh yeah, can't forget about the 235/45/17 PZero's a standard equiptment.

Volvo's are very nice cars, not sure about the new one gimmicks, bunch of electronics, and you can verify that on all Volvo forums, ppl complain a lot about issues they have, so an extended warranty is a must on those cars.

Also, I am a previous Audi S model owner, and the maintenance costs were really killing me and everyone else who has had an Audi knows what I mean...

I really think SOA is loosing money and territory not building an even more powerful Legacy GT, STi call it whatever, to compete with more $$$ sport cars, and on top of it, the Subie reliability, which Benz, Audi, Volvo don't have it...

Just my thoughts....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Well, I mean what direction will the STi go? I personally think it will stay a 4cyl, they will prob make the 07 something like the 06 WRX, little increase in hp, but more tq and at lower RPMs (yes i know its low right now) I doubt the STi will ever be an H6

Archived