LegacyGT.com

How bad does this look- looking at 2001 L.L. Bean?

I saw an ad for a 2001 L.L. Bean H-6 Outback, Supposedly good running shape but obviously damage to hood, driver's fender, headlight and likely the core support and other supports for the headlight assembly.Ownders says mechically OK with 120K miles

Here is the ad I saw with pics and a link to a video of the car running and a look under the hood. I'm wondering if some other components under the hood might be damaged as well.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1830247900569966

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8N4p9BHK2dTRlNyRzFURU1fRms

I'm wondering if this car is a real can of worms with a lot of hidden damage or it mostly sheet metal damage (I'm a lot more comfortable with doing bodywork than major mechanical work)

Also, never had an H-6 - anything I should be looking for problem wise on these? Also our other Subies have been 4 cylinders. I know I don't need to worry about timing belts andf headgaskets don't seem to fail as oftern as on EJ25's.

My big concern with this repair would be repairing the core support and however the headlight mounts in. I can get a hood, bumper, and fender for about $250 already pulled or less if I can find decent ones at the Pick A Part so Parts wise, probably could everything obvious for $500 or less. Just wary of what other damage there might be.

Do it. Those cars are getting harder to find and the engine alone is worth what they're asking. I just picked up a super crazy low mileage JDM EZ30D today for $800. Th eH6 doesn't have timing belt, they're chain driven. I have heard of timing chain tensioner failures on these, but head gasket issues are very rare unless the car was frequently overheated or overheated very badly. Including mine (which had a sketchy service history before I acquired it and a shady PO) I have only read about 5 or 6 others who have experienced a blown head gasket.

Archived