LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the million dollar question is how we find the info on it... maybe BITOG forum or something...

Is "idle" bad for potential DI Carbon buildup compared to cruise or acceleration phases of driving?

Can AS/S help mitigate it?

An Orange Ascent? :eek:

Now the million dollar question is how we find the info on it... maybe BITOG forum or something...

Is "idle" bad for potential DI Carbon buildup compared to cruise or acceleration phases of driving?

Can AS/S help mitigate it?

The biggest issue with excessive idling seems to be oil dilution (reducing viscosity majorly). It doesn't seem like as much blow by is generated by idling (due to lower oil pressure and engine speeds).

One way to test would be through a clear catch can though. Perhaps that's something I'll try testing on my LGT one of these days.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

wow. Can't even tell. That's a compliment I guess. K where's the picture of the whole car? Hurry up! :spin:

Low quality pics. Just like when you see a hot girl on FB and then you meet them in real life. :spin:

---

Low quality pics. Just like when you see a hot girl on FB and then you meet them in real life. :spin:
Well, in life you get what you pay for. I've seen the work this shop does its excellent. But it is a wrap not a factory paint job.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

well, You are literally the only one in the world with this color now. Looks pretty good actually. How long will this wrap last? And how resistant is it to chipping and stuff?
3 to 4 years with good care. It's pretty tough though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2020 Ascent is announced

I'm a little bummed and the very conservative features, I was mostly wanting rear view mirror camera and front facing camera in Limiteds. I don't like Touring's 7 only seats, and to my wife and I, the ugly brown interior :lol: (plus the price hike).

Sucks, but will probably waiting to mid cycle refresh to even consider it one...

22 Ascent STOCK

I commented on this over on the Ascent board.

Yes, I'm surprised that they dug in with their 7-person only Touring configuration. I've heard a lot of feedback from people that got the Limited so they could get the 8p bench, but then were mad they couldn't even option the front view camera or smart rear mirror.

The Java Brown grew on me after seeing it in person. I like it with the Crimson Red, especially, but even the Magnetite or Black still gives it that "luxury" two-tone appearance. (I'm also a black-on-black Subaru driver for 3 Subarus so far, love that dark combo, looks mean...)

I am curious about the low beams being LED or not. In 2019, they added non-responsive LED's for the Forester. But, the trade-off is that they lost their Konoji style LED DRL's around the housing, and my low beams are just the LED's running at a slightly lower intensity. I didn't realize this when I bought it, but it is one of those things that, although petty, would have pushed me into a Limited trim for the Konoji's.

I'd also like to see the smart rear mirror and the front view camera available as an option in the future. I'm sure the beancounters figured that if they added those as an option they'd lose out on some more Touring sales, but whatever.

If I had an unlimited budget and massive driveway, I'd absolutely still have the Ascent 8p Limited on my short list.

2 years and 6 months left before my lease is up - the mid-cycle refresh for both models (Foz and Ascent) is going to be really important to my decision next time around. Until then, I'll try not to get too wrapped up in the minutiae and hypotheticals. It will literally keep me up at night thinking if they're going to add a FozXT in the future, or FozPHEV, etc.

Thanks for the comments, I've been lurking on those boards myself, not quite ready to join yet (not until we are much closer to actually being able to afford/buy one).

I hate to do this, but I might have to settle on a used Pilot or Chevy... At least until Subaru gets the CVT crap figured out (with some of the failures that I'm seeing, I'm not convinced they will last long term) plus all these little features here and there that Subaru is reservering for Touring models only. Luckily we don't have a pressing need yet (only at 2 kids), but my parents are getting older and family vacation would be easier with a 7-8 seater...

22 Ascent STOCK

In the grand scheme I’m not really worried about the CVT. They’ve been around for 10 years and while some failures have happened I’m confident that they’ll cover me with a good will discount or something in the future. The CVT in general gets a lot of bad press because of the Nissan debacle so I think the free extended warranty is just to give people peace of mind.

In the grand scheme I’m not really worried about the CVT. They’ve been around for 10 years and while some failures have happened I’m confident that they’ll cover me with a good will discount or something in the future. The CVT in general gets a lot of bad press because of the Nissan debacle so I think the free extended warranty is just to give people peace of mind.

Agreed to the Nissan deal and I appreciate Subaru CVT's being pull type chain driven. I've been paying attention to the failures on the Ascent forums. While they are statistically low and most likely faulty part related, it made me realize that we are betting $8k on a couple solenoids.

Problem is, all solenoids fail in time, for example my AVCS oil control valves committed suicide at 130k miles. 130k miles is not bad at all, especially since they were easy to replace, about $200, and no internal engine damage was caused. Now imagine of the OCV's were extra depressed and wanted to go out with a big bang, so they commit murder-suicide and take the engine out with them (which they can if they over advance an valves hit pistons). We would be singing a different story, because having to replace the whole engine at 130k miles is not a trait of a reliable car. In this analogy, CVT's oil control valves are not only suicidal, but they really want to go out with their names in the headlines.

With my AVCS OCV's, I knew they were bad because I happened to have my laptop connected and logging when they failed, I drove home 10 miles and I replaced them before ECU even knew something was wrong. Now the newer Subarus tend to show a bunch of lights when the CVT starts slipping and fails, but there is no $200 solenoid to replace and your good to go, it's $8k for the whole new transmission...

I think the CVT transmission should be designed to be more serviceable and fail more gracefully. At that point I think I would have a lot less issues with them, even if it needs those major "tune ups" at 100k miles, if it means it will last another 100k miles.

22 Ascent STOCK