LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

Its probably not listed in the specs, go to a dealer and look under the hood I bet it's there. It isn't listed in previous models either, but the parts breakdown shows a cooler in the parts breakdown for the cooling system.

And check this out for the HT cvt:

http://www.subispeed.com/mishimoto-wrx-cvt-transmission-cooler-2015-wrx-cvt?gclid=CjwKEAjwvr3KBRD_i_Lz6cihrDASJADUkGCahaA9gWLu1Hyhq8dZQAXdE2uzwf8vByBgtDEMrRyxNhoCtPLw_wcB#.WVA0rWjyvIV

Edited by FLlegacy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Here's the Ascent from Subaru's site. Looks like a knock-out. Brochure here

Long_Haul_SUV_1920x1200.jpg

29.jpg

crystal_black_silica.png

Eye_Catching_Style_1314x821.jpg

Standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive + SUBARU BOXER® engine

Designed for optimal balance and an even distribution of power for maximum traction, standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive makes for exceptional stability, impressive efficiency, and a quick response to driving conditions.

The all-new Direct-Injection Turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine delivers 260 hp and 277 lb.-ft. of torque. And with 19.3 gallons of fuel capacity, it puts almost any destination within reach.

8.7 Inches of Ground Clearance and X-MODE®

Conquer rough terrain with 8.7 inches of ground clearance and standard X-MODE, which optimizes the Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system for maximum traction on slippery surfaces. X-MODE also incorporates Hill Descent Control for stability and confidence when descending more difficult grades.

5,000-Pound Towing Capacity[1]

The 2019 Ascent offers the most towing capacity of any Subaru vehicle ever, along with an available Class III trailer hitch and wide selection of Thule racking accessories so you can bring along all the gear you’ll need for all the places you’ll be able to go.

SUBARU STARLINK™ Multimedia

With standard Apple CarPlay™, Android™ Auto, and Pandora® integration[5], plus SiriusXM® All Access Radio[6], STARLINK Multimedia connects you to music, navigation, podcasts, and much more. Wireless pairing and hands-free smartphone operation allow for safe and easy access to your favorite apps and content, including STARLINK apps such as iHeartRadio®, Yelp and Magellan. A built-in, voice-activated navigation system powered by TomTom® and an 8-inch touch-screen are also available.

360 Degrees of Visibility

The available Smart Rear-View Mirror uses a dedicated camera to maintain visibility when the view behind is obstructed, while a standard Rear-Vision Camera provides extra safety when reversing. And an available 180-Degree Front Camera gives the same confidence that your path ahead and to the sides is safe and clear.

LED Steering Responsive Headlights and High Beam Assist

Get a clearer look around every bend with available LED Steering Responsive Headlights, which actively track in the direction of a turn to enhance visibility. Available High Beam Assist can automatically switch the headlights between the high and low settings when an oncoming vehicle is detected, enhancing safety for both you and other drivers on the road. __________________

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Could be an interesting vehicle if the figures holds up and the price is right. Not sure if it appears here in Europe, but you never know. The Tribeca never did well because it had bad fuel consumption figures, was way too expensive and on top of all had a design that was completely wrong. The nicest association of the design was Saab 93B, the worst - Ford Edsel.
453747.png

Talked to sales guy who told me last year Ascent will look like bigger Outback, they've seen it on closed event for dealers only.

So early orders will open late March-early April. First deliveries early June. That's also when they expect actual Ascents in showrooms, not earlier than that.

They will likely sell a ton of them. First year volume is expected to be what, 60K units?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

A brand new car that I actually would want!

I'm glad it's 4 cylinder turbo which means it will mod well, but why not give it 300hp? Is that just not common in this kind of car market?

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I'm glad it's 4 cylinder turbo which means it will mod well, but why not give it 300hp? Is that just not common in this kind of car market?

Because cvt! My guess is there isn't enough chain tension possible to compete with 10k lbs of suv/ trailer and all 300+ horses and probably 325+lb ft of torque. At least not that would be packaged is an awd transmission. We shall see though I would love to be proved wrong!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The FXT states premium gas (93 or 91) for the 2.0 DIT recommended but not required. If you want the most output (read: increased power through advanced timing on 93 vs less knock and power on 87 due to pulled timing), then plan on premium.

They are claiming 5,000lbs towing capacity, I doubt they would get that with CVT?

Well here is to hoping they have really put that cvt to the test and didn't just hope and pray with that figure. If it says 5K lb towing capacity it darn well better be capable.

Looks like the 2018 Toyota Highlander has 295HP on regular gas. Come on Subaru, you could do better :lol:

22 Ascent STOCK

Looks like the 2018 Toyota Highlander has 295HP on regular gas. Come on Subaru, you could do better :lol:

maybe the Ascent will reflash itself when you pump 91-93 US octane in it.

...either that or they will sell you a racing keyless fob as a option when you pump the high octane in.

I remember when it was "hard" to find enough road make a 80s subaru build speed over 80mph. (I can say I have had a unmodified Justy over 90mph).

________

that said, maybe subaru should get back into the endurance record things like they use to do with the early EJ22T and the EG33.

whipping them around a track to 62,5000 miles = 100,000kms in the shortest # of days. such might make the FA24T prove its worth.

87 US AKI octane confirmed on the subaru of japan site (sorry its going open a PDF,...lots of stuff in the flyer though).

maybe it will automatically reflash for more hp/torque if you put higher octane in.

https://www.subaru.co.jp/press/file/...17_1129_02.pdf

73 liters ~ 19.28 gallons for the fuel tank capacity. (subaru did not give a conversion in the data below)

quoted text centered:

< Major Specifications of Ascent (US specs.) >

Body size (Overall length / width / height) 4,998 x 1,930 x 1,819*1 mm (196.8 x 76.0 x 71.6*1 in.) Wheelbase 2,890 mm (113.8 in.)

Minimum ground clearance 220 mm (8.7 in.)

Engine

2.4-liter Horizontally-Opposed four cylinder, DOHC, Direct injection turbo FA24 engine

Displacement 2,387cc Bore and stroke 94 x 86 mm Maximum output 260hp / 5,600rpm Maximum torque 277lb.-ft. / 2,000 - 4,800rpm

Fuel tank capacity 73 liter

Fuel type 87 AKI

Transmission High-torque Lineartronic*2 Drivetrain Symmetrical AWD Tire size 245/60 R18, 245/50 R20 Seating capacity 7 / 8

*1: Without roof rail: 1,766 mm (69.5 in.)

*2: Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with fully automatic electronic control

The ECU actually doesn't reflash itself nor can it, it just has a couple of timing tables and dynamic advance timing table.

Subaru's ECU always wants to run full timing, when it's running full timing Ignition Advance Multiplier (IAM) will be at 1.0. When you use 87 octane, it will knock and ECU will lower the IAM to be less then 1.0, until knock is eliminated. Then every time you drive, ECU tries to add back timing, but engine will knock again so it will retard that timing again.

Every single 2.5i DBW car that I've hooked up the Tactrix cable to had IAM lower then 1.0, and they are all 87 rated cars too. The only way I could get my IAM to stay at 1.0 is by using 93 octane on my 2012 2.5i, which also improved performance and reduced audible knock. I was able to adjust my tune (read: reduce timing majorly) to keep IAM at 1.0 with 87 gas, and make the car be almost as good as it was with 93 gas.

Moral of the story? With the way Subaru ECU logic works, lower octane will make the ECU always want the IAM to be at 1.0, but due to knock it will constantly be less and it will be hunting around. This usually means the car will perform worse then if it was just fine tuned for a specific octane.

22 Ascent STOCK

The HP/TQ ratings are listed as 87 AKI. Not sure if that equivalent to 87 RON US, but it might be. If so, or either way, with Subaru's ECU learning and the availability of 91 or 93 both should enable more HP/TQ on tap running those octane levels.

In this case, would it be that the engineers are tuning to the lowest common denominator and anything above that is bonus? I presume that 91/93 will be recommended for highest performance, similar to the FA2.0 DIT.

AFWIW - the Toyota's NA 3.5L V6 makes 295 hp @ 6660 rpm, 263 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm. Those are stratospheric RPMs v-a-v HP numbers. Believe I read somewhere that the Ascent's 2.4 DIT will make it's power and torque between 2,000 and 4,000 RPM.