LegacyGT.com

FAQ: Offsets, Sizes for Rims and Tires on the GT! Xenonk Version! - Vol 2

SBT

Hi - new to the group but really enjoy the site! Good information! I've spent hours looking through threads but haven't found what I'm looking for. If it's already been posted, my apologies. Still learning the site.

I have a 2011 Legacy 2.5 Premium with 16" wheels. A friend has sold his 2014 WRX STI and has offered his aftermarket wheels to me - Enkei T6S 18"X8.5. Will these wheels fit on my car without body modifications? If so what size tire should I run, and anyone have tire recommendations? Daily driver with 60 mile commute in sun, rain, snow.

Thanks for the help!!

Moved your post to the Wheel FAQ thread.

Short answer, no they don't fit

STI wheels after 2004 will not fit your Legacy without wheel adapters. The 2014 STI wheels have a bolt pattern (PCD) of 5x114.3 and your Legacy hubs require a PCD of 5x100. In 2015, Subaru changed the hubs on the Legacy platform (Legacy and Outback) to 5x114.3 PCD. Subaru also changed the WRX wheels to 5x114.3 starting in 2014.

You could get 15-20mm thick conversion adapters to make them fit, but then you're also changing the offset (ET) and that moves the wheel further from your hub and closer to your inner fender. And 15mm is the thinnest I would consider as anything less than that and you don't have a lot of thread depth for your wheels to bolt into.

Depending on what size tire you would run, you may even have rubbing on your inside fenders which would require you to pull your fenders.

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 months later...

Hi guys!

I just bought 2009 legacy and I am planing to have theese wheels from my friend (they are really cheap:) ) but I am afraid that these wheels will fit my car without any mods?

225/35/18 and 18x8 .et38 (or 8.5 I am not sure)

https://jr-wheels.com/towar.2232.japan.racing.jr5.18x95.et38.5x1001143.dark.abz.html

I need some opinions.

thx

Edited by mtune92

Hi guys!

I just bought 2009 legacy and I am planing to have theese wheels from my friend (they are really cheap:) ) but I am afraid that these wheels will fit my car without any mods?

225/35/18 and 18x8 .et38 (or 8.5 I am not sure)

https://jr-wheels.com/towar.2232.japan.racing.jr5.18x95.et38.5x1001143.dark.abz.html

I need some opinions.

thx

The wheels you linked are a 9.5in wide wheel. If you're on stock suspension, you might not have to roll your fenders for the 8in wide wheel but I would do a minor roll to be safe. For the 8.5in wide wheel you'll most likely need to do a fender roll.

On 18x8.5", once you get past +45ish offset, depending on the tire section width, you're looking at potential fender rub, especially if you lower the car without adding rear toe and camber control. Stock Legacy is 17x7 +55 215/45x17 and the Spec B is 18x7 +55 and tire size is 215/45x18.

A 225/35x18 may fit but that's a small section width for 8.5" or even 9.5" wheels, but, if you lower, without camber control, then you may very well end up with rubbing on the inside above the rear shock mount.

As jrho pointed out, you'll likely need a fender roll. Definitely if you go wider tire size. Good luck.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Also, wide wheels and tires can interfere with springs and coils on the inside. My setup is 18x8.5 +44 and I am on Dunlop z2ss In 245/40. Total pain in the ass to fit.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a 2008 spec b on stock setup bilsteins and springs. Currently looking at Avid.1 AV-34, they are 5x100, 18 x 8.5 +35, wondering what kind of tire I could run to get these to work without rub... Spacers required? Looking to avoid rolling or spacers if possible.

http://www.avid1wheels.com/wheels/

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hi, I have a 2008 spec b on stock setup bilsteins and springs. Currently looking at Avid.1 AV-34, they are 5x100, 18 x 8.5 +35, wondering what kind of tire I could run to get these to work without rub... Spacers required? Looking to avoid rolling or spacers if possible.

http://www.avid1wheels.com/wheels/

Thanks

You definitely don't want to run a spacer for those specs at stock height as they will already sit pretty flush. A 235/40/18 tire would pair pretty well with that wheel but you're likely still going to have to roll the rear unless you can deal with occasional rubbing when the car is loaded or going over larger bumps. Honestly rolling your fenders is a pretty easy thing to do yourself with a fender roller, heat gun and time and patience

That's going to take some effort to fit, the offset is low. Just not worth it in my opinion.

Here's my specB with a 17x8 +48 and a meaty 235/45/17. 18x8.5 +35 is like an inch wider. You'll be well past the fenders in my experience.

1677956233_IMG_20190327_180944506_HDR3.thumb.jpg.73ee525ae0bc193ed9826b8194757b55.jpg

That's going to take some effort to fit, the offset is low. Just not worth it in my opinion.

Here's my specB with a 17x8 +48 and a meaty 235/45/17. 18x8.5 +35 is like an inch wider. You'll be well past the fenders in my experience.

Thanks... Yeah I like to have the profile match up with an 8 instead of 8.5 but I think I'll stick with 18" and a less meaty tire. Maybe something in 45 offset to be closer to stock. The ones I was previously looking at came up about 35 mm wider than stock 8" on will they fit. USDM spec b are 18x8 +48 correct?

No sir.. OEM specB wheels are something like 18x7 with a +53, and heavy as hell.

I'd go with an 18x8 with an offset around +45 or +48. I'm not sure how easy it is to run a 45 series tire on an 18" wheel though with our setups, most of my experimenting has been with 17" wheels. I'm guessing a 18x8 +48 with a 225/45/18 should fit fine, but not certain.

I saw these wheels on a 2013 WRX and really like them. They are the Aodhan DS02s, but they only come in 18x8.5 with a +35 offset. I'm wondering if they would fit on my 2006 LGT with Koni/Epic combo on 225/40 x 18 tires without any rolling. Thanks for your advise.

https://www.aodhanwheels.com/collections/ds-series/products/aodhan-wheels-ds02?variant=19022894235759

I saw these wheels on a 2013 WRX and really like them. They are the Aodhan DS02s, but they only come in 18x8.5 with a +35 offset. I'm wondering if they would fit on my 2006 LGT with Koni/Epic combo on 225/40 x 18 tires without any rolling. Thanks for your advise.

https://www.aodhanwheels.com/collections/ds-series/products/aodhan-wheels-ds02?variant=19022894235759

You will most likely need a roll. It's pretty easy to do it yourself if you can rent a fender roller from someone in your area

Hey all,

Just joined these forums and very unexperienced with modding. I have a fully stock legacy 3.0 spec b 6MT wagon and was wondering if I could run these wheels on them w/out any problems (stock ride height of the spec b with bilsteins):

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/brz-frs-gramlights-57dr-17x9-38-5x100-gunblue

What effect will these have on performance and ride comfort?

What tyre sizes would I be able/would be suitable to run on them and again, how will that effect performance and ride comfort?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

Just joined these forums and very unexperienced with modding. I have a fully stock legacy 3.0 spec b 6MT wagon and was wondering if I could run these wheels on them w/out any problems (stock ride height of the spec b with bilsteins):

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/brz-frs-gramlights-57dr-17x9-38-5x100-gunblue

What tyre sizes would I be able/would be suitable to run on them and again, how will that effect performance and ride comfort?

Thanks in advance!

Those wheels might make your car feel better depending on if your tire and wheel combined weight is lighter than the stock wheels and tires. Tire size you'll ideally want to run 245s or 255s to make use of the width of the wheels. You could run 235s too if you'll willing to have some tire stretch. Ride comfort will depend on what side wall height the tires you choose will offer. Taller side wall will result in more ride comfort but potentially sloppier handling and the opposite for a shorter side wall.

With stock suspension, those wheels will poke our a decent amount and I would recommend going with something more conservative such as an 8inch or 8.5inch wide wheel in the mid 40s to high 30s offset if you don't plan on lowering your car in the future. You may have to do some fender rolling even with stock suspension as you might run into rubbing issues when the suspension is fully compressed

You will most likely need a roll. It's pretty easy to do it yourself if you can rent a fender roller from someone in your area

Thanks for getting back to me. I decided I'm not going with these wheels because of the need to roll the fenders. I don't want to do that, plus I don't want to loose the fender liners. A +35 offset can also stress the wheel bearings, so I'm sicking with the 17" stockers on 225/45X17s. Oh well, it was fun to dream though.

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

The Enkei are cheap as

Guys, 17x8 or 18x8 with a +48 offset sounds boring, but is going to look waaaay better than stock and will not require rolling your fenders, or any modification to your car for that matter, and will have minimal effect on your car even if lowering it.

These wheels can be found cheap, light and in tons of different looks. Plus tire options for this wheel are extremely plentiful and inexpensive.

If you want 9" wheels or bigger to fit perfectly you got the wrong car, or you're in for some rolling/pulling fenders. My buddy has 18x10 +15 wheels on his Evo X and he's working on getting the 275/35/18 tires to not rub so much. That's not an option for us, give up and get an 8" wide wheel.

Guys, 17x8 or 18x8 with a +48 offset sounds boring, but is going to look waaaay better than stock and will not require rolling your fenders, or any modification to your car for that matter, and will have minimal effect on your car even if lowering it.

These wheels can be found cheap, light and in tons of different looks. Plus tire options for this wheel are extremely plentiful and inexpensive.

If you want 9" wheels or bigger to fit perfectly you got the wrong car, or you're in for some rolling/pulling fenders. My buddy has 18x10 +15 wheels on his Evo X and he's working on getting the 275/35/18 tires to not rub so much. That's not an option for us, give up and get an 8" wide wheel.

How about an 18x8 with +45 offset? I've seen some Enkeis I like on TireRack. They'll mount the tires and balance them. Even include the lugs. They say if it comes up in the wheel selector for my car (06 GT) they'll fit. Thanks.

Those wheels might make your car feel better depending on if your tire and wheel combined weight is lighter than the stock wheels and tires. Tire size you'll ideally want to run 245s or 255s to make use of the width of the wheels. You could run 235s too if you'll willing to have some tire stretch. Ride comfort will depend on what side wall height the tires you choose will offer. Taller side wall will result in more ride comfort but potentially sloppier handling and the opposite for a shorter side wall.

With stock suspension, those wheels will poke our a decent amount and I would recommend going with something more conservative such as an 8inch or 8.5inch wide wheel in the mid 40s to high 30s offset if you don't plan on lowering your car in the future. You may have to do some fender rolling even with stock suspension as you might run into rubbing issues when the suspension is fully compressed

What about difference between 17 and 18 inch in terms of performance/ride comfort?

How about an 18x8 with +45 offset? I've seen some Enkeis I like on TireRack. They'll mount the tires and balance them. Even include the lugs. They say if it comes up in the wheel selector for my car (06 GT) they'll fit. Thanks.

Those should fit completely fine! Usually mid to high 40s offset should cause no issues in terms of rubbing.

What about difference between 17 and 18 inch in terms of performance/ride comfort?

17s are usually lighter of a wheel and thus you'd be saving rotational mass over 18s which would help in performance. Ride comfort would likely be better with 17s as you'd have more sidewall height to cushion road imperfections. Sounds like you need to evaluate what you want to get out of your new wheel and tire set up. Usually performance and ride comfort don't go hand in hand so you'll have to make a compromise somewhere

I've been doing some reading on wheels and tires for 08 Spec.B.

Planning to get 18x8 +43mm wheels, stock Spec.B suspension, deciding whether to go 235/40r18, 245/40r18 or 245/35r18? let me hear your thoughts!

I am really tempted to go to 245, but might not be practical if I have to do a lot to get it to fit.