LegacyGT.com

FAQ: Offsets, Sizes for Rims and Tires on the GT! Xenonk Version! - Vol 2

SBT

Picture a wheel bolted to the vehicle with the center of the outside barrel positioned exactly over the center of the wheel hub. Now, grab the hub and pull it toward you (toward the fenders), while holding the outside barrel in its position.

As you pull the hub toward you, the barrel is gaining positive (+) offset - moving toward the inside of the vehicle. If you were to push the hub away from you, the barrel would gain negative (-) offset, moving toward the outside of the vehicle.

That's why a wheel with +55 offset is closer to the inside of the vehicle, while a wheel with a +25 offset is much further out toward the outside of the vehicle. When you get to 0 offset, you're well outside the fender and then it moves to increasing negative offset -1, -5, -10 the further outward the barrel moves, relative to the wheel hub.

For our 4th Gen Legacys, +55 is pretty much the inside limit, while +38 is pretty much the outside limit without reworking the fender to create clearance for the wheel tire to fit.

Again, as mentioned, the hub bearings don't do well with too much negative (barrel movement toward the fender) before the hub bearings start to wear quickly and inordinately.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Hello!

Usually our awd wear the same rims at front and rear axels, but there any problem using different wides but the same tires?

I have a set of rims 2x8,5" and 2x9,5" on 18" could it works with 245/45 without problems for differential groups?

Regards

Enviat des del meu Redmi Pro usant Tapatalk

Hello!

Usually our awd wear the same rims at front and rear axels, but there any problem using different wides but the same tires?

I have a set of rims 2x8,5" and 2x9,5" on 18" could it works with 245/45 without problems for differential groups?

Regards

Enviat des del meu Redmi Pro usant Tapatalk

The AWD system works off of the diameter of the front and rear tires. Running the same size tires on staggered wheels will work as the change in diameter will be pretty negligible. I'm assuming that this would be for 17s because 18s in that size would be pretty massive

I'm, presuming the tires are new and consistent circumference,tire-to-tire, so the only way to be sure is to mount them, set them to the proper pressures, 35F, 33R, and then measure the circumference for each wheel/tire combo.

If the outside circumference is .25" or more, across all 4 tires, then don't run those wheels. The greater "stretch" on the 9.5" wheel has likely decreased the circumference on those wheels and increased the rotational difference across the set.

More on rotational circumference here

Bulk of that discussion starts on post #10 in that thread.

I'm wanting to run all 4 wheels 18x8.5, & all 4 tires the same size. Here's what the people selling me the wheels said about the 18x9.5 rims, but keep in mind I want to run 18x8.5's.

"These wheels will fit (18x9.5) as long as you roll fenders, stretch tires and slight camber adjustment on coil overs." & they said "the only other fitment we would recommend they offer is 18x8.5 with a +30 offset. However the offset will push the wheel out a bit towards the outer fender. May need to do a little modification to allow wheels to fit without rubbing. Offset range recommended for your subaru legacy is around +45 - +50"

the wheel 18x8.5 ESR SR08 SR8 5x100 +30s-l1600.jpg

Edited by RheaCo.Legacy

I'm seemingly on the edge of "will it fit?"

235/35/19 on 19x8 w/ +45 offset.

Will be on a factory ride height knowingly it will fit first, but will this fit on swift springs?

Seems it has before, but it looks so close I am starting to worry about any little bump...

Additionally, DGM_WAG used the swift spring and Bilstein setup that requires spec B top hats I believe, and I think that raises the front end. I intend to ise the Koni inserts into the front struts. Therefore i will have slightly more front drop? By the pictures, anymore drop looks impossible to turn.

See post #1930 under DGM_WAG here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-aftermarket-wheels-thread-11208.html?p=4463571

Followed by post #3852 here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/need-see-hooked-up-wagons-volume-1-closed-26202.html?p=3661184#post3661184

Edited by Wasted Potential

19’s are VERY big for a 4th gen. Why are you considering them over 18 or 17” wheels?

Also, Just note that the car will ride like shit on a 35 series tire and the big/heavy setup can make the car feel sluggish (steering feel and turn-in)

It is also no fun to drive a car that rubs over bumps.

Two years ago I went through a bunch of work,time , and money to make a set of tires fit (245/40/18 Dunlop Z2 ) when I could have simply bought a more favorable size and avoided all of the hassle. It took me additional rolling and pulling of my tenders, camber plates, adjustable rear links, and adjusting my alignment. Woohoo - they fit, but I had to compromise some “ideal” settings in order to “make it work”

My advice - if your heart is set on 19”s - buy the lightest 18” you can afford.(I’m ditching my 18s for 17s as soon as i wear out these tires. lol

Edited by Code
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I'm very attracted to TSW Nurburgring's, and there is a nearly mint set within a few hours for ~$600.

After seeing the DGM_WAG ride height and clearances, I am rather focused on that setup.

The issue will be... getting the rims and tires I want for ~1.2k, or go with other 18s that are less desired, but still going to be ~1.4k.

I was looking for the 18" Sparco Pro Corsa but they say "sold out for the season." Next option is $50 more expensive per rim....

My driving is 85% highway, 15% city at 20-45mph.

I just need to make sure there was no rubbing issue on his setup, and that I won't have a bigger problem due to non Bilstein shocks regards to rubbing/bump. If someone had a similar combo 19x8, +45 on 235, 245, or even 225 and they can acknowledged they rubbed or that there was a profound issue, then that will sway my opinion to 18s.

I am one of those looking for high street performance when it seeks "spirited" drives at best

I'm wanting to run all 4 wheels 18x8.5, & all 4 tires the same size. Here's what the people selling me the wheels said about the 18x9.5 rims, but keep in mind I want to run 18x8.5's.

"These wheels will fit (18x9.5) as long as you roll fenders, stretch tires and slight camber adjustment on coil overs." & they said "the only other fitment we would recommend they offer is 18x8.5 with a +30 offset. However the offset will push the wheel out a bit towards the outer fender. May need to do a little modification to allow wheels to fit without rubbing. Offset range recommended for your subaru legacy is around +45 - +50"

You can basically keep that same approach. I've seen a lot of examples of 18x9.5 wheels at a 38 offset and your 18x8.5 with a 30 offset will be have a bit less poke (about 5mm). It really depends on how low you want to go and how much camber you're comfortable running to determine whether you need to stretch tires

I'm very attracted to TSW Nurburgring's, and there is a nearly mint set within a few hours for ~$600.

After seeing the DGM_WAG ride height and clearances, I am rather focused on that setup.

The issue will be... getting the rims and tires I want for ~1.2k, or go with other 18s that are less desired, but still going to be ~1.4k.

I was looking for the 18" Sparco Pro Corsa but they say "sold out for the season." Next option is $50 more expensive per rim....

My driving is 85% highway, 15% city at 20-45mph.

I just need to make sure there was no rubbing issue on his setup, and that I won't have a bigger problem due to non Bilstein shocks regards to rubbing/bump. If someone had a similar combo 19x8, +45 on 235, 245, or even 225 and they can acknowledged they rubbed or that there was a profound issue, then that will sway my opinion to 18s.

I am one of those looking for high street performance when it seeks "spirited" drives at best

Clearance wise you'll be fine for inner clearance but you may need to roll your fenders with the Swift springs for outer clearance. At a 235/35/19, you'll have a taller diameter compared to the stock set up (a bit less than an inch taller) which might cause contact with the fender liners on bumps. If you want to run 19s then you're pretty much limited to running really thin sidewalls to stay reasonably close to the stock rolling diameter.

If you're after a more performance orientated set up but like the look of bigger wheels, I would go to 18s unless you're willing to tolerate the harsher ride and more expensive tire prices of 19s

I contacted tirerack directly and it seems they DO have the rims I'm looking for so I will be going with 18 inch rims.

I will be on 18x8 at +45, so now I'll be back onto, 235/40/18 or 245/35/18.

Seems I'll be in the same pickle of if I want to go with Swift springs I'll most likely have to roll the fenders. Looking at H&R springs due to desire to not touch the fenders.

235/40x18 will likely be your best fit for what you're looking to achieve, especially on an 18x8 +45. Which wheels did you get?

235/40x18 will likely be your best fit for what you're looking to achieve, especially on an 18x8 +45. Which wheels did you get?

Sparco Pro Corsa, just debating between light silver, or black. I actually want to powder coat them gold, or anthracite grey the wagon is obsidian pearl.

Sadly they are still heavy, 24 lbs each, ouch.

I might change to a different setup from tirerack just due to weight, but I am not looking to spend $220/rim.

Hi guys,

Read the first post in the other thread number of times. Still have some doubt. Please help me out. I have a 2004 Legacy GT (JDM) the stock wheels were 215/45/17. I currently have 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE003 on 17" Rota Grids, 8" wide, +44mm offset. I am getting a good deal for 235/45/17 Toyo R888's and am wondering if they can fit.

Also how will be the performance compared to the 225 Potenza's?

I have the standard BILSTEIN suspension with pink lowering springs (I believe these were on the spec b model of the legacy).

Cheers..

Hi guys,

Read the first post in the other thread number of times. Still have some doubt. Please help me out. I have a 2004 Legacy GT (JDM) the stock wheels were 215/45/17. I currently have 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE003 on 17" Rota Grids, 8" wide, +44mm offset. I am getting a good deal for 235/45/17 Toyo R888's and am wondering if they can fit.

I have the standard BILSTEIN suspension with pink lowering springs (I believe these were on the spec b model of the legacy).

Cheers..

Well you'll have a taller sidewall with the 235/45 compared with 225/45. If it were the same tire then you would have more sidewall flex but you're going from a performance tire to a semi slick so that might not be the case...

As for fitting, they're fit but you might hit your fender lips under compression if they haven't been rolled

Hi guys,

Cheers..

You'll likely notice a decrease in off-the-line performance...heavier wheel and tire combo.

Since your 2004 JDM LGT is the same as our 4th Gen 2005-2007 LGT, and running 235/45x17, you'll have rubbing during turns under heavy compression at the front.

Depending on home much compression at the rear, you may actually have rubbing on the inner side of at the rear.

And, you'll likely notice a decrease in mileage due to the wider contact patch/tire size and heavier wheel/tire combo.

YMMV. GL with your wheel/tire fit.

So basically an 18x8.5+48 wheel wont clear? Or is the issue the offset of +30?

Edited by Gabo

So basically an 18x8.5+48 wheel wont clear? Or is the issue the offset of +30?

That offset would work too. At an offset of 30 he's basically going to make contact with the fender edge during compressions depending on how low it is. At a 48 offset it should fit and you should only need a mild fender roll if you're lowered.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the max adjustments on camber for front and rear on stock suspension?

Intent is Tein Basis coil overs set to 1.2 lower on front and 1.0 lower rear, on 18x8.5 et 35 with 235/40/18, rolled front and rear. Just trying to figure out how much extra camber it needs and what parts for extra camber are needed...

Does anyone know the max adjustments on camber for front and rear on stock suspension?

Intent is Tein Basis coil overs set to 1.2 lower on front and 1.0 lower rear, on 18x8.5 et 35 with 235/40/18, rolled front and rear. Just trying to figure out how much extra camber it needs and what parts for extra camber are needed...

The Tein Basis coilovers reuse the factory top hats and don't have camber plates right? If you're talking about the camber adjustment of the factory suspension, front you're probably looking at less than a degree of adjustment (probably more like 0.5 degree of adjustment) and the rear you cannot adjust. I doubt you'll need a ton of camber for that wheel and tire set up. I'd suggest just getting the whiteline rear camber KCA399. The factory rear toe adjustment might be a limiting factory so you may require rear toe arms as well. You could spend the extra money and get the adjustable toe and camber arms to almost future proof your suspension too.

The Tein Basis coilovers reuse the factory top hats and don't have camber plates right?

Correct.

I sit here waffling back and forth on whether to spend the money on rims that are heavier than stock, or just coil overs. I feel like I often over mod to the point of boredom (or to the point that I want some equity back out of the vehicle). So, mediocre tires and rims, or just new rubber on factory rims and coilovers... ahhh....

Correct.

I sit here waffling back and forth on whether to spend the money on rims that are heavier than stock, or just coil overs. I feel like I often over mod to the point of boredom (or to the point that I want some equity back out of the vehicle). So, mediocre tires and rims, or just new rubber on factory rims and coilovers... ahhh....

Did both....waiting on coilovers to arrive (Tarmac 1). Except I bought Gramlights 57 DR, so they are lighter than stock. I'l already passed the equity aspect of the build. I have more money in parts than the car is worth. This is the curse of our hobby. In retrospect though I figure building a 350WHP Spec B to my taste was better than financing a car such as a focus RS or new STI. The car is build to my taste and that is.......priceless(yeah right) :spin:

Correct.

For bang for your buck, I would do the suspension modifications and get a good set of performance tires. I usually recommend getting your suspension first in terms of coilovers, set your ride height and then shop for wheels and tires. That way you have a much clearer understanding of how much clearance you will have.

Man its been a while since I posted in these forums.

Alright so I have Epic Springs I managed to pick up from a forum member a while ago with KYB excel G struts BUT, I'm currently on stock suspension. My wheel size is 18x8 +48 and I have BFGoodrich g-Force COMP 2 a/s 235/40r18 tires on them that are currently on the car but getting a 'lot of rub in the rear when I hit a slight bump or take a corner hard.

My questions, if I get the same tire but 225 instead of 235 and I install the new springs/struts, will I get rub and will that suspension set up be good? I cant seem to find anybody with that combo.