LegacyGT.com

FAQ: Offsets, Sizes for Rims and Tires on the GT! Xenonk Version! - Vol 2

SBT

Thanks for the reference. section width is 9.1 and tread width is 8.6 on the eagle II (assuming thats what these are) whereas section width 9.0 but tread width is 7.2 on the blizzaks...I am assuming section width is what i should be concerned about? Or am I just overthinking this too much?

AFAIK the section width is the widest point between inner and outer sidewall, which really isnt saying much if the widest point isnt at the mounting rib.

• 1 month later...
I’m going to be putting rims from an 05/06 outback on my 2008 legacy 3.0R for my winter tires. My question has to do with the tpms. Do I get sensors that say they work with the 07 and newer Subaru’s or do I need to get sensors that are for the 05/06 Outback?

I’m going to be putting rims from an 05/06 outback on my 2008 legacy 3.0R for my winter tires. My question has to do with the tpms. Do I get sensors that say they work with the 07 and newer Subaru’s or do I need to get sensors that are for the 05/06 Outback?

If it helps, I put 04 STI wheels on my 09 Legacy and I got the tpms sensors for the 09 Legacy. I would say get the sensors meant for your car.

• 2 weeks later...

The OEM wheel is 17x7 and +55. You're talking about a wheel that's +3 inches wider, not to mention what type of tire you're gonna fit in there.

It's been covered to death probably on every page of this thread what sizes are right on the fringe for fitment, and when rolling/pulling becomes necessary.

Im having a difficult time visioning this setup. I found some wheels. They are 18x9.5 et28. anyone with anything similar. will they even work

Nothing about that setup will result in :).

You'll hate it, and your LGT will hate it more. And I rarely use the word "hate", but you get the idea.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^ Biggest tire I was able to fit with that wheel was a 235/40/17 on a slightly lowered wagon. It rubbed the inside fender liner just a little bit in the rear and was very close to the outside fenders, but no modifications or crazy camber settings.

255/40/17 won't fit without some work.

IMG_20171126_141210.thumb.jpg.c60ea491ffef1754d5d555553ee5b9a6.jpg

Edited by BoozeRS05

^ Biggest tire I was able to fit with that wheel was a 235/40/17 on a slightly lowered wagon. It rubbed the inside fender liner just a little bit in the rear and was very close to the outside fenders, but no modifications or crazy camber settings.

255/40/17 won't fit without some work.

Thanks for that! I'll probably take a pass on the wheels as the price reflects basically brand new tires. What mufflers do you have on that? They look like they sit perfect!

Welcome. I love these wheels, but unfortunately they don't fit over my Wilwood calipers so they are sitting uselessly in storage with new summer tires.

It's the SPT catback, version2 I believe, which is designed for a sedan, BUT it was modded to fit my wagon. There were extensions added btw the mufflers and the tips, about 1.5".. It is the best exhaust I've ever had on a Subaru.

Thinking of running 235/40/17 on a 17x9 wheel. The wheel is like a fingers width away from the collar of my coils. Should this fit? A quick reply would be a appreciated. Want to get these tires while they are on sale haha.

No, the smallest wheel I found that fit the LGT, was a steel wheel: 17x6.5 / offset 55.

Need to run front OB front brakes to run 16's.

This.

16" doesn't fit, because of the brakes - the barrel just isn't big enough, spoke depth or offset accommodations notwithstanding.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Hi! I'm a new member and returning Subaru owner. Currently own a new-to-me -07 Spec B which, being clad with worn Potenzas, desperately needs some winter rubber. The car's suspension is stock height, currently on the OEM 18"/7" 55 mm offset wheels with 215/45 tires. I'd like to eventually go slightly narrower tires and to 17" wheels for winter, ie. something like 205/55 R17. Being the economy-minded (aka frugal, aka cheep) guy that I am, I've been looking to buy some used wheels and even tires, should the suitable package come a-knockin'.

Well, now it's a-knockin'. At the door I find a set of 17" / 7" wheels with a 38 mm offset, and the required 5X100 bolt pattern. The kicker is these wheels are shod in 235/45 Continental winter rubber which isn't exactly optimal or what I'd like to have. However, I'd like to make this set work for this first winter (as I've been spending way too much money on previous owners' deferred maintenance already) and probably buy a set of Hakkapeliittas next year. I've already read on this board that a 17" wheel should clear the stock calipers just fine. So, my question is will this set-up with 235/45 R17 with 7" wide wheels at 38 mm offset work without any rolling required and with minimal risk of rubbing?

Of course I'll need to make sure the tires are worn evenly. Any other watchouts to consider when buying used tires?

I look forward to the hive's collective wisdom.

Hi! I'm a new member and returning Subaru owner. Currently own a new-to-me -07 Spec B which, being clad with worn Potenzas, desperately needs some winter rubber. The car's suspension is stock height, currently on the OEM 18"/7" 55 mm offset wheels with 215/45 tires. I'd like to eventually go slightly narrower tires and to 17" wheels for winter, ie. something like 205/55 R17. Being the economy-minded (aka frugal, aka cheep) guy that I am, I've been looking to buy some used wheels and even tires, should the suitable package come a-knockin'.

Well, now it's a-knockin'. At the door I find a set of 17" / 7" wheels with a 38 mm offset, and the required 5X100 bolt pattern. The kicker is these wheels are shod in 235/45 Continental winter rubber which isn't exactly optimal or what I'd like to have. However, I'd like to make this set work for this first winter (as I've been spending way too much money on previous owners' deferred maintenance already) and probably buy a set of Hakkapeliittas next year. I've already read on this board that a 17" wheel should clear the stock calipers just fine. So, my question is will this set-up with 235/45 R17 with 7" wide wheels at 38 mm offset work without any rolling required and with minimal risk of rubbing?

Of course I'll need to make sure the tires are worn evenly. Any other watchouts to consider when buying used tires?

I look forward to the hive's collective wisdom.

Since you're on stock suspension, you shouldn't have any issues with rubbing with those wheel specs. The winters will be slightly taller but won't really throw off your speedometer much. I would look for even wear on all the tires as it's and awd car. Also check for past repairs on the tires and also any signs of cracking on the sidewalls.

Since you're on stock suspension, you shouldn't have any issues with rubbing with those wheel specs. The winters will be slightly taller but won't really throw off your speedometer much. I would look for even wear on all the tires as it's and awd car. Also check for past repairs on the tires and also any signs of cracking on the sidewalls.

Thanks, jrho. Any guidance on what kind of tire tread wear difference I should be concerned about using the set for an AWD vehicle? 1/32"? 3/32"? The tires I'm looking at were used as a set for two seasons, on a 2WD vehicle.

Thanks, jrho. Any guidance on what kind of tire tread wear difference I should be concerned about using the set for an AWD vehicle? 1/32"? 3/32"? The tires I'm looking at were used as a set for two seasons, on a 2WD vehicle.

As far as I know, Subaru recommends tires to be within 2/32th of each other. As long as the previous owner rotated the tires properly, they should have evenly worn.

Those 235/45/17 tires might be close to your fenders with that +38 offset, even if only a 17x7 wheel and at stock height.

With the preferred tire sizes you mention above you'll be fine in my experience. I'd probably go for it if I was you depending on cost.

What wheel is it out of curiosity?