LegacyGT.com

Guide to Tyre Pressure and Handling

JMLegacy

image.png

Tire Pressure in the Rain

For both autocross and road racing, increase tire pressures 6-10 psi from what you would normally run in dry conditions. Hydroplaning occurs when a wedge of water develops between the tire and road surface. This wedge can actually lift the tire off the road and eliminate traction. Increasing the pressure rounds the profile of the tire by decreasing the deflection of the tire. This results in a smaller contact patch - narrower and shorter. It also helps keep the grooves in the tread open so they can channel the water out from under the tire.

Source https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=58

As Subaru owners we are more concerned with the "Decrease Understeer" column.

Up until now I was of the impression that lower tyre pressures give more grip, but this article shows that an increase in front tyre pressure will reduce understeer. How does that work?

So..can confirm that an increase in front tire pressure = less understeer?

not always. that list needs to be incorporated in to a larger understanding of suspension geometry, shock damping and tire design. if you really what to know whats going on with your tires, you need a probe style pyrometer and tire chalk.

I was humbled last night. On a lonely twisty road a toyota avalon was able to keep up with my 300 hp legacy. I just don't have the confidence of cornering in this car, so i had to brake a little more than needed to take the corners and thats when he catches up...Well, that and the turbo lag.

Archived