LegacyGT.com

need info from someone with an Openport 1.3 cable - help a lot of people!

deesh

Hi, I need to get in touch with someone who owns an Openport 1.3 cable. Preferably the the 1.3U, or the 1.3S - basically any openport 1.3 cable that you have succesfully used to flash subarus with the latest version of ECU Flash.

I have discovered a very simple way of making FT232RL-based vag-coms plug and play with the latest version of ECU Flash. The BL-based vag-coms already are, but they are hard to come by. the FT232RL versions are ubiquitous on ebay for cheap - and I know a lot of you already have one of these. It is also technically a much nicer and newer FTDI chip!

If you've tried to use a vag-com but it only worked with ECU Flash version 1.29a or earlier, then you have an FT232RL version. This fix will allow you to easily use that same cable with the very latest ECU Flash, to fully flash, read, etc, plug and play, no dicking around with drivers.

To do this I need to collect a couple pieces of info from a legitimate cable (nothing complicated, 10 minutes maybe). Please send me a PM! you will be credited in the resulting fix/guide (or anonymous if you'd prefer)

:spin:

Using EcuFlash with a non-OpenPort or Tactrix licensed cable is against the EULA

When used with a hardware interface, the software is to be used solely with OpenPort vehicle interfaces from Tactrix Inc. or other officially licensed interfaces. These sales fund the project development and keep the cost of such a tool reasonable.

This matters because at some point if enough people are using knock-off cables there will be no reason for Tactrix to continue supporting ECUFlash. So sure, you are "helping a lot of people", by giving them an alternative to spending the $200 for the Tactrix cable, but really you are hurting Tactrix's ability to continue supporting ECUFlash.

Tactrix is two guys in San Francisco, but sure, might as well contribute to killing off open-source tuning. There is always Cobb and EcuTek instead.

Interesting to bring that up here, and not in the 15 page long sticky dedicated solely to using vag-com cables with ECU Flash to tune. If that's as bad as you say and is going to kill off Tactrix, the moderators might want to look at un-stickying that.

I understand Tactrix is a small company, however I didn't ask them to charge $130 dollars for a $5 PCB with a $3 FT232RQ and ATmega chip on it, that was their decision. I understand that a lot of that cost is ECU Flash software development, which is why it makes even more sense to open it up to use with whatever cable we want to buy, and charge a seperate moderate fee for the software instead of pretending it's "free" and locking it off to only one cable.

With the amount of messages I've received it's going to happen one way or the other, so meh. It's not offering some new unheard of possibility, as it stands right now you can already go grab a $20 vagcom and use it with ecu flash prior to 1.30. Or you can find a BL based vagcom and use it with whatever version, as a ton of people already have.

That said, if Tactrix *really* doesn't want this to happen, and contacts me and says so, I will keep this private and publically develop it no further

TBH, Colby has done very little development work on ECUflash in the last couple of years. I don't know what he's up to these days, but it isn't working to make this product better.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

OK but the issue of not being able to flash 2002 WRX won't be fixed this way, right?

I've never dealt with those cars, but doing some googling it seems plenty of people are able to flash the 2002 WRX with this ECU Flash/cable combo, it seems like it's a lot more picky on the timing than others (hit ok then turn key a half second later?) Idk I've never tried it but it looks like a lot of other people have gotten it to work after dicking around

I've never dealt with those cars, but doing some googling it seems plenty of people are able to flash the 2002 WRX with this ECU Flash/cable combo, it seems like it's a lot more picky on the timing than others (hit ok then turn key a half second later?) Idk I've never tried it but it looks like a lot of other people have gotten it to work after dicking around

send me those links. I have tried everything timing wise.

And FWIW, I think the ability to log to the SD card in the OP2 is worth the price of admission. I just wish Colby would make that mini-USB connector a bit more sturdy. I've broken at least three of those.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Interesting to bring that up here, and not in the 15 page long sticky dedicated solely to using vag-com cables with ECU Flash to tune. If that's as bad as you say and is going to kill off Tactrix, the moderators might want to look at un-stickying that.

We try to minimize getting in to battles with people online.

I understand Tactrix is a small company, however I didn't ask them to charge $130 dollars for a $5 PCB with a $3 FT232RQ and ATmega chip on it, that was their decision.

I don't think your're trying to say it does, but just to clarify, the Openport 2.0, which is the only device we currently sell, does not cost $8 to produce. We make our product entirely in the USA and it does a lot more than our older 1.x versions did. The hardware you're describing is not our hardware.

I understand that a lot of that cost is ECU Flash software development, which is why it makes even more sense to open it up to use with whatever cable we want to buy, and charge a seperate moderate fee for the software

We should have thought of that years ago! :)

instead of pretending it's "free" and locking it off to only one cable.

I'm not sure why you're saying we're pretending. The download page clearly says that the software is meant for use with our hardware. When people ask we clearly let them know that the sales of our hardware are what fund the development of EcuFlash, firmware, device drivers, and hardware. The chunk of my day I spend working on EcuFlash support emails, is funded by hardware sales. There are customers that I've spent enough time helping them discover something wrong with their car's wiring or their laptop that even with the hardware cost, we are negative. That happens sometimes. When we do free repairs for our customers, that's paid for by hardware sales. Colby's time spent chasing down firmware issues is paid for by hardware sales. Time spent researching and designing future hardware is paid for by hardware sales.

That said, if Tactrix *really* doesn't want this to happen, and contacts me and says so, I will keep this private and publically develop it no further

Well if you're offering, we graciously accept you offer not to publicly work to circumvent our licensing. Thank you.

TBH, Colby has done very little development work on ECUflash in the last couple of years. I don't know what he's up to these days, but it isn't working to make this product better.

Since I work with Colby Monday through Friday, I can tell you that's not correct. We both have small kids now, so the hours may not be what they were in the beginning, but it is what we spend our work days on. Most of the day to day is not working on amazing new features that you are going to read busy forum discussions about. It's a lot of necessary firmware refinement and sometimes Windows driver issues and we're also working on a Mac release. Plus a lot of helping people all over the world work through software and Windows issues. I'd also say that there have been more Mitsubishi vehicle additions in EcuFlash than Subaru ones in the past couple years. We are working on early Subaru JDM DBW ECUs at the moment in addition to some Mitsubishi work, but again, not something you're likely to read about on a forum.

-Mike

Tactrix

And FWIW, I think the ability to log to the SD card in the OP2 is worth the price of admission. I just wish Colby would make that mini-USB connector a bit more sturdy. I've broken at least three of those.

We offer free repairs. If you still have any of the broken ones, just send an email to support at tactrix dot com and I'll send you an RMA so we can check them out. My repair success rate is pretty high. A lot of thought has been put in to alternatives and nothing fits well within the current format. For the past few years we've been reinforcing them by manual soldering in addition to what our circuit board assembler outside of Seattle does in their machine process, but if there is an impact from a leg to the USB connector, the energy has to go somewhere. So even if we reinforce and the USB connector doesn't break it can still get distorted and cause problems.

-Mike

Tactrix

I've had success with a local guy who repairs PC boards for a living, but thanks for the offer.

I've had success with a local guy who repairs PC boards for a living, but thanks for the offer.

Sounds good. It's not too difficult a repair as long as none of the circuit board leads are damaged. The one thing I'll mention in case anyone else thinks of using a local electronics repair shop is that it's always best to use a new USB connector. People will often try to re-attach the broken USB connector and even if damage to it isn't obvious, there is likely some distortion that can give you intermittent connection issues at times.

-Mike

Tactrix

Compared to $600/car Cobb AP which now requires you to take a $100+ class before you can even self tune, $170/unlimited cars Tactrix is a great deal.

Software design is hard, a lot of times harder and more expensive then hardware. Tactrix guys offer free support AND software updates. Most software companies force you to buy software with every major release, and only have 1 year free support.

Support the small guys, if you put Tactrix guys out of business China wont write new car definitions or new car support for you.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Mike repaired my cable for free. I found that using an OBDII extension cable (make sure to get the right pinout) works great to help relieve stress on the USB connection. I mostly use my Tactrix cable and software for logging as I'm about to go speed density, so I'm running Cobb. Speed density support with open source on the LGT just isn't at the best point right now. That's no fault of Tactrix though. The open source community has other priorities.

Mike repaired my cable for free.

Glad we could help!

I found that using an OBDII extension cable (make sure to get the right pinout) works great to help relieve stress on the USB connection.

Yep, for some reason some makers of extension cables will cheap out and leave some of the pins unpopulated rather than passing all 16 pins through. We've also been trying to have an improved design manufactured for us but haven't been able to find anyone to manufacturer it for us at a reasonable price point. But I agree that an OBD2 extension cable is great to use if you have any concerns that you might bump the USB cable/connector.

-Mike

Tactrix

@MikeyPSF, while your here. Couple versions back Tactrix 2.0 stopped working with Merchgod's Learning View software, it just doesn't see it anymore. Is there anything that changed on your side that would do that? I think it might be driver related.

You guys should add logging/playback with map tracing to ECUFlash, I would pay money for that in a heart beat. :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Also while you're here, does colby have any notes or similar he'd be willing to share behind his CAN logging patch? I spent a couple minutes looking at it and think with enough time I could figure it out and port it to my ECU, but it would save a lot of effort if I could get a head start on understanding what he did. All the information on the OpenECU forums is gone

Archived