LegacyGT.com

All new engine

Opie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's be honest. The reason we want Ascent to have a powerful turbo engine is because it gives us hope that a similar engine will end up in Legacy.

We know Subaru lacks a Toyota / Ford / Honda sized budget for R&D and supporting production of dozens of power plants. Therefore it's a reasonable assumption that this FA24DIT is going to be the basis of the next STi motor, given the fact that the EJ257 is several years overdue for retirement and nothing else is on the horizon. My feeling is that the sixes will go and the flagship Legacy will get some iteration of the new FA24. Question is only will it be turbo or not.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I wasn't implying it was a contender for your NASCAR Family Truckster Racing Series. I have been in SUVs that felt sporty and SUVs that felt like it couldn't pass a semi going up hill.

Name them please, I am curious what the Ascent is being compared to. Our tribeca was sporty enough, but also felt like it couldn't pass a semi going uphill. Even though it did rather easily. Our Odyssey feels much more planted and powerful, but a slight drizzle on the road changes that dramatically. I just don't see any reasonable priced SUVs in the same class as the Ascent that are out of its grasp of performance.

It wont be a complete win in any category, just like more Subaru's aren't, but it will tick more boxes than most of its competition. Personally, I see the direct competition as:

Atlas

Explorer

Highlander

CX9

Santa-fe

If it is true to its mission, it will beat all but the Atlas in space and comfort especially 3rd row seating and it will be as good as the Atlas in most everything else probably at a lower price point.

2.4L N/A? No way that'll work. It would have to be at least electric assisted (e.g. like the Camry Hybrid).

They really need a new flat-6 (hopefully supercharged or hybrid).

What are you talking about? I can't find a single reference in this whole thread to a 2.4L N/A motor. I searched N/A, 2.4 NA, 2.4L NA ... nada.

My feeling is that the sixes will go and the flagship Legacy will get some iteration of the new FA24. Question is only will it be turbo or not.

What are you talking about? I can't find a single reference in this whole thread to a 2.4L N/A motor. I searched N/A, 2.4 NA, 2.4L NA ... nada.

4 posts up :hide:

God damn, that's an obscure reference. Then, consider it's been almost exclusively reported that the 2.4L going into the Ascent will be Turbo.

That raises a whole new question. Why couldn't the base Legacy get a 2.4L NA (or, frankly, even the FA20) which would likely be more than (or in the case of the FA20, almost the same as) the output in of the current FB25 which is currently breaking sales records, and the "flagship" Legacy could even end up with the FA20DIT and CVT box similar the the WRX, which would easily provide the motivation the current 3.6L EZ architecture?

This is why I hate threads like this. It's people making the most asinine speculations and irrational assumptions. I can't resist reading them, and I'm dumber for doing it every time.

A 2.4 liter DIT, which is likely for a van type is probably what's coming.

Looking at the Levorg 2.0DIT then they are running 300hp@5600 rpm / 400Nm @2000-4800rpm on a CVT gearbox. But for a larger car it makes sense to have a larger engine with the torque at lower rpm and probably not as much top power to suit the family use better. Probably same torque as the 2.0DIT but between 1800 and 4000 rpm and a top power of about 230hp is my guess.

453747.png

2.4L N/A? No way that'll work. It would have to be at least electric assisted (e.g. like the Camry Hybrid).

They really need a new flat-6 (hopefully supercharged or hybrid).

Who said n/a everything we are reading and hearing is 2.4DIT no more h6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

A 2.4 liter DIT, which is likely for a van type is probably what's coming.

Looking at the Levorg 2.0DIT then they are running 300hp@5600 rpm / 400Nm @2000-4800rpm on a CVT gearbox. But for a larger car it makes sense to have a larger engine with the torque at lower rpm and probably not as much top power to suit the family use better. Probably same torque as the 2.0DIT but between 1800 and 4000 rpm and a top power of about 230hp is my guess.

Turbo FA20 is fine for sports models, as we'd be revving out the engine when we want. It's the 'cruiser' models that would want low RPM torque (hence my suggestion of supercharged 6cyl or hybrid 4cyl).

I would imagine Subaru also wants to make an engine for the Ascent (perhaps future Legacy/Outback) that is happy running 87 octane as well and is willing to sacrifice some HP. The US models are handcuffed by the lowest common denominator of 91 octane in CA/NV/AZ gas, I wouldn't be surprised if the gas was the only reason the US gets a 268hp WRX instead of the 300hp models.

Modern engines also adapt to the fuel quality, so it's not really an issue except when you except maximum power. The direct injected engines are also less sensitive when it comes to knocking/fuel quality and are actually working more like diesel engines than the classic gasoline engines with injectors in the manifold.

Some overview of a direct injection system.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FG8tSWrCl8]GDI Injector Operation - YouTube[/ame]

The Toyota D-4S engine has a mix of both direct and classic injection, which may counteract the carbon build-up on the intake valves.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KMyfpop9Fs]Know Your Toyota Mechanical: Direct Injection 4 Stroke Engine ( D-4S Injection) - YouTube[/ame]

There's probably more to come in the future in the development of engines. It's something many car manufacturers work hard on. We may also see multi-fuel vehicles as well where you have engines using more than one fuel when running to get improved economy and emissions, like the system from Westport:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXcMkw0jHjc]Westport 15L Engine and LNG Fuel System Training Video - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

Archived