LegacyGT.com

TPMS trouble code storage

CapnJack

I have a 2008 3.0R that I'm 99% sure has a failing TPMS sensor battery. When the temperature is below 50 degrees, the TPMS light will flash after ten minutes of driving indicating the fault. After the tire heats up, the light goes out. Above 50 degrees, it's not an issue. Tire pressure has been checked and is at 32/33 in all tires.

I have an Autel TPMS scanner, spare sensor and ability to program the new sensor, however the TPMS sensors don't have a battery level indicator readout only sensor ID number, pressure, and frequency. They either work or they don't. When I stop to scan to determine which sensor it is, there is enough life left in the battery to say they are all ok. I don't want to play wack-a-mole with sensors to replace until I find the correct one. The light on the dash really annoys me so I don't want to wait for it to die completely.

Does anyone know if the TPMS system documents the trouble codes and how it does so? Will a new ODB scanner tell me if I take the car to Advance or a tire store or do I have to take it to Subaru and have the SSM hooked up? Will that even tell me which sensor it is or just that there is a system fault?

• 11 months later...

Bumping old thread, but I am going though the same thing and had the same question.

To retrieve the stored codes you need a ODB reader tool read the stored IDs in the car. Then you have the ability to reprogram a new wheel sensor with that ID.

My problem was I couldn't figure out which sensor was bad. I had all the IDs, but didn't know which one to replace. I tried going to Advance Auto to use their code reader, but they couldn't determine which one it was. I also went to a tire shop and had the same issue.

I ended up replacing the two front sensors and the problem went away. I had a 50/50 shot of winning and did. First thing I've won in my life!

Archived