LegacyGT.com

2018 XV in Geneva

Perscitus

I don't know man, I feel like Subaru is just slacking in it's power and mileage figures. Honda is getting 174 hp and 31/42 MPG out of a 1.5L turbo 4 cylinder while Subaru is only pulling 148 hp (previously) and about 26/34 mpg from a 2.0L NA 4-cyl. They need to give their entry line more balls to stay competitive in this part of the market IMO, and a 6hp increase isn't going to cut it.

I don't know man, I feel like Subaru is just slacking in it's power and mileage figures. Honda is getting 174 hp and 31/42 MPG out of a 1.5L turbo 4 cylinder while Subaru is only pulling 148 hp (previously) and about 26/34 mpg from a 2.0L NA 4-cyl. They need to give their entry line more balls to stay competitive in this part of the market IMO, and a 6hp increase isn't going to cut it.

I haven't driven the Civic with that drive train, but you're comparing apples and oranges on all fronts. You're comparing a FWD only drive train to an AWD only platform for starters, so there's already a substantial difference for the fuel economy, then you're comparing a Naturally Aspirated motor to a turbo charged motor. The low end on that 1.5L 4 wouldn't be a good match for the AWD drivetrain in a Subaru.

Truth told, there isn't too much cross shopping between a Civic and an Impreza/XV in the first place. While they're close to the same size, that's about where the similarities end.

I thought the Crosstrek is competing with the Honda HRV. The HRV only has a 1.8 liter engine with 141 hp. Also the standard engine in the Civic is also a 2 liter that makes 158 hp.

I do agree with you, it would be nice if Subaru offered an optional engine for the Crosstrek, like the 2.5l or the 1.6 turbo, but I guess Subaru would not want the Crosstrek to steal sales from the Forester.

It looks alright, just like an Impreza.

Who would have thought that a body lift with a little more suspension travel would have become so popular...AMC was so ahead of it's time that it folded. :)

http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/117409/117409_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
my brother drives a '15 - Its a great little ute but his (as well as most on the XV forums) wish for a bit more in power. 160-170hp was the happy spot if I remember. I keep looking up/hoping for anything that could help. Pulling the carbon filter in the airbox helps with acceleration, but thats about it.

wonder what would happen if Honda got smart and made the new Civic type R with AWD.

Have to agree 154hp is lame.

But when you look at who buys this car, VX, hp is not on there wish list.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

154 hp...... Is Subaru serious?? Ugh.

I like the looks of the new Impreza but they shouldn't be allowed to badge anything as sport with only 154hp and 0-60 times of 9+ seconds. It needs either the 2.5L engine or the 1.6L turbo they use elsewhere to even be somewhat sporty.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I have been saying this for years.

i bought a '13 after I sold my GT. i didn't like the interior on the foresters so ended up with the crosstrek. for my active lifestyle, it's great. love the ground clearance. and I have a commute it's cheaper on the pocket.

but god do I miss my GT...

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

i bought a '13 after I sold my GT. i didn't like the interior on the foresters so ended up with the crosstrek. for my active lifestyle, it's great. love the ground clearance. and I have a commute it's cheaper on the pocket.

but god do I miss my GT...

Need to update car info in your profile...

Subaru doesn't make the 3.0 motor anymore and they are going away from MT. I am not sure if Subaru H6 would even fit in the Crosstrek. The replacement 3.6R motor is also supposed to be replaced soon as well, since Subaru has said they would have direct injection across the line up by 2020.

The compact SUV market the Crosstrek is in, many of their main competitors have 140-150hp. The DI FB20 motor is suppose to add more low end and mid range torque for more responsive engine than prior 148 hp version. The forester which only a little bigger and not much more expensive and built on the same platform has the larger base motor and available turbo motor. Using the same engine just creates more overlap. Subaru today isn't the car company of dozen years ago that put the turbo motor in nearly every variation.

Perhaps with the current administration policy of relaxing regulations (fuel economy), their is a chance that Subaru could reintroduce more MT and larger engines but I wouldn't bet on it. Subaru has mentioned in their future plans about having almost their whole lineup with standard eyesight by 2022. Subaru hasn't been installing eyesight on the MT. I interpret that statement as every car in their lineup will be CVT except the WRX/STI (and BRZ if it still is in production).

I think the US market is dead for moderately price diesel since VW TDI scandal and abandonment of the TDI model. New diesel are only available premium cars and trucks; I don't see that changing going forward.

I think the US market is dead for moderately price diesel since VW TDI scandal and abandonment of the TDI model. New diesel are only available premium cars and trucks; I don't see that changing going forward.

2017 Chevy Cruze diesel. Msrp under $24k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

There's talk about taxing the diesels here now to the degree that it won't be feasible to own one.

So even if diesels are pretty decent from a fuel consumption perspective they are killed off due to other factors.

I see that the 1.6 liter XV is available here with 5MT and dual range gearbox - 10 gears to play with! :p

453747.png

I love Subaru to death, I really do and most of u stay loyal. However, I was was just watching a clip on youtube about the new WRX STi and still 305hp. I agree that Subaru just really needs to listen to the people. Obviously they know what they are doing but they could be selling even more vehicles in the U.S. if they just listened. They ditched the GT, the XV is cool as shit but needs a little more grunt, we don't get wagons or diesel and we never get any of the good stuff. Maybe Subaru just feels us Americans are just to dumb and how get so excited after every single new iPhone that comes out every 6 months, they can do the same. I try not to conform and have a Droid DNA from 2012. I will not give in haha.

Subaru needs to get there stuff together, I mean they are but really get raw again. Bring back the SVX, make the WRX STi a mini GT-R. We have the WRX with a 6-spd and the new FA20. Let the STi go and sprout its real wings. Make it feared.

I guess it's all easy to say and rant when you aren't crunching numbers and clearly THEY are cause it shows. They are playing it safe. We've seen what happened to the EVO, the GTI is in the same state since forever as well, the RS has gone back to its roots and the CiviC R or whatever has gone bezerk. I really fell we've gone back to the 90s. Turbo the world and keep the manuals.

Archived