LegacyGT.com

2005 Outback (K-Line) with 2008 JDM Legacy (CAN-bus) swap + STi ECU?

l88m22vette

So I'm getting ready to approach a swap and the Outback forum is dead, I wanted to document my swap but need help with the wiring and tuning. Is 2a feasible, assuming I can get the wiring pins lined up, or do I go the easy way and delete exhaust AVCS? And, am I missing anything obvious? I've paraphrased my other thread below.

2a. I bought a 2008 USDM Spec-B engine harness, (just in case). So, I swap in untouched EJ20Y, swap USDM intake stuff, swap to LHD Can-Bus engine harness, and run a dual AVCS USDM 2008+ STi ECU with recoded immo to make it plug-and-play. This is the easiest and most USDM-friendly. It will communicate with OBDII for emissions and have all kinds of 93 octane USDH support. Will this work? I have no idea, but the logic is sound :lol:

OR

2b. If that electrical trickery won't work this is the back-up plan. Swap USDM single AVCS exhaust cams and seals into U20 heads (Z20s with air pump), install oil feed plugs, leave ex. cam solenoid installed and unplugged.

Figure out if the Spec-B harness would talk to the STi ECU - if that works, then the AVCS issue might not be one at all. It will need to have the JDM exhaust pigtails installed, no big deal. The only other Can-Bus issue would be the BIU and wiring, but I should get that in the front clip. I'll also need to deal with the auto-to-manual wiring, AND, could I use the JDM cruise control to finally defeat the nagging issue of it never working with an auto-to-manual swap?

I was going to bring the car/ECU into the dealer to get it programmed (assuming there isn't an immo defeat I can get in a tune).

I've been talking to Brian at iWire and he doesn't think the STi ECU/harness will work since the CAN signals won't play nice with the Legacy stuff. I really want to roll the dice, buy both, and try to get them working so I can have a permanent solution to tuning and emissions, but I know almost nothing about the electronics aside from the physical wiring.

The "easy" solution is to ditch the exhaust AVCS and just use a USDM manual Legacy ECU, but that's frustrating since I would like to keep it. Are there any instances of ECU swapping with CAN cars anyone knows about?

The 5EAT ness and imobalizer will be your biggest issues. Subaru talk a fairly standardized can bus format so 90% of the data will be there. As in your speedo will work and the ECU will know what gear you're in. The STI ECU also outputs some of the data that would be digested by the TCU due to the DCCD stuff. BUT they are going to be expecting some data that's not there and you're going to have all sorts of fun bus errors.

Then there is the immobilizer. That isn't terribly well documented so it may just not work.

You might better luck running the motor on the JDM ECU in parallel with the stock one. You'd have to split the sensor inputs so it still thinks it's running the motor and disable a lot of codes though. Will probably need to build a canbus bridge to mirror the data to the JDM ecu as well.

If you try this, you better have a spare car as it's going to end up taking a LOT longer than you expect. Hitting up a few after work coding boot camps will also be advised, as it'll likely require some custom electronics.

Edit: Also the k-line vs CAN bus thing doesn't really matter. That's just referring to if the CAN bus is extended to the ODBII port. All the car have both a high and low speed CAN bus internally. The difference is what interface it's listening to for flashing/logging.

I'm 99% sure there's no way an sti ecu will work with the 5eat properly as the sti only comes as manual. Exhaust avcs is overrated. Someone did an ej207 swap and used the stock Legacy ecu with it by swapping some pins around to make it work. This would be your best bet. You'll run into software problems otherwise.

Check out STi A-Line as that is a 5EAT model but then get all disappointed when you realize all the HVAC, dash, BIU, VDC etc. parts have their unique canbus addresses and either you use the whole set from the 5EAT car or you live in flashing CEL limp-mode hell until you give the car away in frustration.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived