LegacyGT.com

auto dimming rear view mirror ineffective

Cube4

I have a new Legacy 3.6 Limited for one month and am dissatisfied with the auto dimming rear view mirror as I am being blinded by head lights reflecting from it. I am considering removing it and installing a tried and true manual flip rear view mirror if I can find one. I have turned it on and off several times but this has not improved its dimming. I like new technology but only new technology that improves on what it replaces. Any suggestions?

Tape over the front sensor with electrical tape.

This will cause the mirror to go into full dim mode.

If that bothers you during the day (that the mirror is dimming, you will still be able to see behind you in it during the day) shut the mirror off off using the power button.

Fixed. 5 cents of electrical tape and you can buy me a beer sometime.

Likely the problem is that the sensor in the front of the mirror is picking up headlights/streetlights at night, and so the mirror is only partially dimming.

I don't like autodimming mirrors much, either, but the Legacy one works ok, the above procedure was tried and tested on my WRX, and it really did cut down nighttime glare.

If you live far from traffic, there is no need to block that sensor. My drive I almost always have cars approaching, so that sensor was always bathed in light, and the mirror in the WRX never really dimmed much until I blocked that sensor.

I replaced mine when the mirror's silvering started going bad. Bought a manual OEM mirror taken off a new Subaru for $20 shipped from an online dealer. I actually like the manual mirror better and it is a perfect fit. The auto mirror is a nice concept, but does not always work as you'd like in practice.

I replaced mine when the mirror's silvering started going bad. Bought a manual OEM mirror taken off a new Subaru for $20 shipped from an online dealer. I actually like the manual mirror better and it is a perfect fit. The auto mirror is a nice concept, but does not always work as you'd like in practice.

Good for you. Where did you find your 20$ OEM mirror? Every replacement mirror for my Legacy that I found is another auto dimming I would like to get one also.

Tape over the front sensor with electrical tape.

This will cause the mirror to go into full dim mode.

If that bothers you during the day (that the mirror is dimming, you will still be able to see behind you in it during the day) shut the mirror off off using the power button.

Fixed. 5 cents of electrical tape and you can buy me a beer sometime.

Likely the problem is that the sensor in the front of the mirror is picking up headlights/streetlights at night, and so the mirror is only partially dimming.

I don't like autodimming mirrors much, either, but the Legacy one works ok, the above procedure was tried and tested on my WRX, and it really did cut down nighttime glare.

If you live far from traffic, there is no need to block that sensor. My drive I almost always have cars approaching, so that sensor was always bathed in light, and the mirror in the WRX never really dimmed much until I blocked that sensor.

Day light head lights in my rear view are not easy on my eyes either. I will tape the sensor and see how that goes. If I can find a manual new OEM rear view I may also go that route.

• 2 weeks later...
I took my car to to the dealer and was told that my rear view mirror was working correctly. I was also told that if I were to remove it and install a traditional mirror I would cripple the blind spot detection. Better to leave it alone. Auto dimming mirrors are expensive while offering less eye protection than old style mirrors. I like my car but may not have bought it if I were aware of this issue.

I'd have to agree with the Grey Goose. Maybe it's some sort of CYA statement from the dealer? Blind spot detection uses small radar sensors in the rear bumper and indicators in each side view mirror. The manual rear view mirror is an OEM part that is interchangeable with the electronic mirrors and is a similar shape and slightly smaller size. The dealers used to routinely swap out the manual rear view mirror when people ordered the electronic version.

I'd have to agree with the Grey Goose. Maybe it's some sort of CYA statement from the dealer? Blind spot detection uses small radar sensors in the rear bumper and indicators in each side view mirror. The manual rear view mirror is an OEM part that is interchangeable with the electronic mirrors and is a similar shape and slightly smaller size. The dealers used to routinely swap out the manual rear view mirror when people ordered the electronic version.

Really? I am going to call Subaru (not the dealer I went to) and further research this. I wanted to switch out the marginally functional auto dim rear view mirror with the manual rear view mirror I purchased. I don't know why the dealer would tell me I can't remove the auto dimming mirror without disabling the car's inherent safety system if it were not true. I like my new car a lot except for the rear view mirror

Here's the wiring diagram for our auto dimming mirror. Comparing it to the non-dimming one's there is only two extra wires that're tied into the reverse lights. I'm assuming it's so when the car is in reverse, the mirror doesn't dim (safety feature). After looking at this, I'd feel very confident in stating that the dimming mirror and blind spot detection are in no way tied together. You could even test it by unplugging your rear view mirror and driving around.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/ticonderoga16/RVMIRROR%20Wiring_zpsxdhmytuq.png

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: I researched by calling Subaru.com. I asked would would I lose if I switched out new auto dimming rear view mirror? I was informed a few days later that my car's eyesight system wiring is connected to the auto dimming rear view mirror. If the auto dimming rear view mirror is removed the eye sight system will not function. My car would lose ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL, PRE-COLLISION BRAKING, LANE SWAY AND DEPARTURE WARNING, PRE-COLLISION THROTTLE MANAGEMENT. That is a bitter pill for me but this is what I found out. Perhaps you guys don't have an eyesight system on your Legacy's. For me I gotta live with this stupid poorly functioning mirror I bought the car with.

Ahhh, I didn't realize you had eyesight. That makes a bit more sense then. It's likely the wiring is all clumped together, so unplugging the mirror likely also unplugs the eyesight. I still don't think they're actively tied together so much as the wiring harnesses are together. That's just my guess though.

Eyesight is very cool and useful. The automatic braking exceeded my expectations. I can't say the same about the rear view mirror. I have been just turning The rear view mirror all the way up to save my eyes from bright lights. Tape the sensor? Maybe but I like my rear view mirror when bright lights are not in my eyes. I suppose it can't hurt to try the tape over the sensor. I wish I could find a work around but it looks like I will have to live with it as is.

If you want to stop the dimming after you cover the front sensor, all you have to do is shut off the mirror using the power button (right next to the button that toggles the compass display on and off).

The mirror only dims when the front sensor is not sensing light (as in, nighttime or artificially induced nighttime because the sensor is taped over) and when there is an electrical supply which you can control with that switch.

Pressing the switch on the mirror is easier than physically moving the mirror upward.

I thought you would have already at least tried that given your level of hate toward the autodimming mirror. I will go out on a limb and say you will still hate the mirror. Small trade off for the use of Eyesight.

I have turned the mirror on and off but that did not improve the auto dimming function. If I shut off the mirror than the little dimming it dose perform will stop. That is not what I am looking for. It is too bad Subaru did include a flip mechanism with the auto dimming mirror. If they had done that then I would have been able to flip the mirror up when the auto dimming mirror would perform as expected (which is always). More than likely they did not do that because the angle of the glass of tilting mirrors would prevent it from being employed with the supposed auto dimming function of this mirror.

I did take my car to the dealer who confirmed that the auto dimming mirror is operating correctly. I think my car great minus the functionality of the rear-view mirror.

They don't put tilt mechanisms in electrically dimmed mirrors. You get one or the other.

I wasn't suggesting shutting off the mirror would increase dimming, it takes away the dimming function, I was suggesting doing that during the day (after taping over the front sensor) if the dimming function being on during the day bothered you (because if you tape over the front sensor, the mirror thinks it is dark outside, 24/7).

If taping over the sensor doesn't work for you to increase the maximum dimming, it is time to put a stretchy hat over the mirror at night or move it out of the way manually, and don't buy another car with this feature that you hate.

At this point your confused responses lead me to wonder if you have bothered to try taping over the front sensor.

Unplugging the auto dimming mirror will NOT disable EyeSight and BSD.

they probably told him/her it will disable the autodimming side mirrors, which use the center autodimming mirror for their dimming signal.

I don't think it will disable Eyesight or blindside detection either, but all the wiring going through that area means I would trust the dealer over starting to unplug things willy nilly.

Archived