LegacyGT.com

OBXT Ksports & 18"s

eVoMotion

^^^You can always go with the Megan Racing OB coilovers. You can retain stock height for the "off road" trips and then lower the car for the city driving. I would get them, but I am borked right now.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Howdy -

The OBXT loves gravel roads. I wish I had a thrasher that I could really enjoy driving off road. ;-)

We had a Liberty 2.5 (Legacy) before this and did fine as well; just did not have the speed the new car has.

The lowered suspension does affect the height - though I do not really drive it in a boulder hopping area so am not concerned. The lowered suspension is definitely firmer, but I think it is still better than stock in that it is far less boucy and wobbly; which would a concern if you are driving quickly in gravel as the reactions would be less easy to track. My wide tires rub under big compression bumps off road, but it is only creating a clean spot; no damage.

We drive the car in the city 95% of the time.

I agree that you could get an Outback pretty much anywhere you were brave enough to take a Legacy.

I have not heard about the 3.0R tranny issues. I personally prefer a stick for daily driving.

And to the other person's point, I am swapping my current coilover out for the new Megan Racing ones; for a better ride, not for height.

Cheers,

Daniel

Hi Evomotion, I am particularly interested in how the lowered XT goes on gravel roads now? I guess it should be similar to a Legacy GT?

I am very keen an Outback but we only get the 3.0R auto and the 2.5 manual here in NZ. Of these my choice would be the 3.0R as the 2.5 is a little rough in comparison.

I have heard and read on forums that the auto transmission is not too good in the 3.0R and there have been a lot of complaints about its performance. As a consequence I would have gone with the XT manual if we had it in our market but am now looking at a Legacy 3.0R with the STI 6 spd manual or a 2.5 Outback, whilst still not completely writing off the 3.0R.

I mainly drive in the city here, but would anticipate that I will take on a gravel road 3 - 4 times per year and the odd dash to the ski field.

Do you find that the lowered suspension compromises the gravel road ability of the Outback much ? Are there any other issues with the lower suspension?

My brother who is into 4WDing, reckons that you could get a Legacy and an Outback pretty much into the same places - you would just have to drive slower ...

Thanks

Howdy -

The OBXT loves gravel roads. I wish I had a thrasher that I could really enjoy driving off road. ;-)

We had a Liberty 2.5 (Legacy) before this and did fine as well; just did not have the speed the new car has.

The lowered suspension does affect the height - though I do not really drive it in a boulder hopping area so am not concerned. The lowered suspension is definitely firmer, but I think it is still better than stock in that it is far less boucy and wobbly; which would a concern if you are driving quickly in gravel as the reactions would be less easy to track. My wide tires rub under big compression bumps off road, but it is only creating a clean spot; no damage.

We drive the car in the city 95% of the time.

I agree that you could get an Outback pretty much anywhere you were brave enough to take a Legacy.

I have not heard about the 3.0R tranny issues. I personally prefer a stick for daily driving.

And to the other person's point, I am swapping my current coilover out for the new Megan Racing ones; for a better ride, not for height.

Cheers,

Daniel

Ideally I would like the Outback height, the 3.0 and a manual.

Seeing as I can't get all three, I have to forego either the manual or the Outback height ... Given that I prefer manual and there have been a few probs reported with the auto to the point people have said that they have sold their 3.0R Outback, I am leaning towards the Legacy 3.0R and trying to make do with the height.

It sounds like the extra height of the Outback isn't a big benefit and a number of people seem to have lowered their Outbacks.

If you were making your decision again, would you still get the Outback or go straight to a Legacy?

Thanks, Greg

If I had to do it again...not sure. We tried to get a Legacy, but all manual in Black&Black were sold in the US...amazing. So we went for the OBXT. At first I was disappointed. Which is why we lowered it and more. Now I like that it is a bit different than a Legacy. Only thing it is lacking now is LGT brakes or better; OBXTs are smaller all around.

I was also disapointed until I lowered ours. Now I am very happy with the OBXT and can not wait until we start "go fast mods".

Well, I have yet to take out the cars and drive them back to back, but I am starting to lean towards the manual Legacy GT.

I think that I would rather forgo some ground clearance and 3.0 instead of the manual. There are more Legacy GT's available and the 3.0 mt tend to be about 1/3 more in cost. In saying that, they also tend to be a 1-2yrs newer.

The Legacy GT's tend to have leather and a rather nice 13 speaker McIntosh Stereo too.

At least I won't look back and think, what if I bought the manual ? tempered by the fact that I quite like the look of the Outback with its flares, and strakes on the bonnet.

Archived