LegacyGT.com

Timothy.B's - 2011 3.6R Limited - Build Thread

I briefly mentioned in the FB group but unfortunately I sold the Legacy. It was a bit of a tough decision to make but even after no longer having it for a few weeks I'm still satisfied with my decision.

I bought a 2019 WRX STi Base with 18k miles on it. I originally was considering selling my 20th VW Golf GTI for a 2004 STi. Reason being, it seemed silly owning a car that I can't drive for 6 months during the winter. I eventually started looking at 2015-16's and considering trading the Legacy. I also wanted a manual daily. Talking to a buddy, he said go newer since they did a few updates. Using the RA block and such. Android auto. Yadda yadda. I still have to sell the GTI. It'll help bring down the loan on the STi a bit.

So I found a white one local to me, 10 minutes away. I priced them out all over and this one was in a sweet spot. Came with the STi short shifter, Cobb catback, weather tech floor mats, rally flaps, rear splitter.

I went out for a 15-20 minute test drive. At first I wasn't super impressed. It was definitely nicer in the interior, seats were comfier, better bolstering, handled well, rode quieter and surprisingly less rough than the Legacy with the suspension mods I had. I took it back and said I would think on it because it was a hefty investment.

I drove the Legacy home and immediately started to see the things I disliked with the car. The exhaust is droney (the STi even with the catback was waaay quieter) the wind noise was worse, it rode worse, the throttle is very laggy for off-on input and it felt slow.

I took a 1000 mile trip with the Legacy back in October and I kinda had the feeling then that maybe it was time to move on. This confirmed it.

I immediately swapped the stock wheels with winters over, swapped the grill out and unloaded the tune, literally ripping it's soul out which was sad :(

Ed from XRT and I spent a lot of time, going back and forth with revisions with improving the shifting feel and throttle on that car, and for future Legacy owners.

It was a fun 5 years, between the tuning, learning the maintenance, building the suspension, vinyl wrapping, paint correction, all the little mods but I was ready for something different. I contemplated a lot about doing headers but I knew I was still gonna be wanting a 6 speed. The cost of a swap wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I fell in love with the STi, it does everything I want and love the look. It's currently warrantied to 120k or 4 years so I plan on keeping it stock. I plan to do the cylinder 4 cooling mod, an AOS and maybe a mesh style grill or something. I installed winters on the OEM wheels so I'll be looking for a separate set of wheels to fit the old tires come spring. Other than that, just enjoying it how is.

I'll remain on the forums in case anyone has questions in the future. It's been fun being part of the Legacy fam.

Pictures credited to Justin at ShadesMedia.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=shadesmedia18&set=a.1329673917377579

n9QEe9j.jpg

L4Nm2Ph.jpg

NRx9Sah.jpg

Edited by Timothy.B

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful looking car! Sounds like you'll be having fun with it lol.

I didn't want black again, the gray seemed a bit drab, I didn't want blue because it was too noticeable. Really love the white and black contrast. Especially after seeing a few Legacy's on here with it.

I didn't want black again, the gray seemed a bit drab, I didn't want blue because it was too noticeable. Really love the white and black contrast. Especially after seeing a few Legacy's on here with it.

I agree with the white being the best for that car. My second option would be blue, but this is one of those rare times where I actually like white on a car.

Congrats on the upgrade. The summary you gave is the exact reason I'm so hesitant to pick up a GT as a daily. As great as this gen Legacy is, its just an older gen lol Love the white. Grey is my preferred because it hides dirt better :)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk