LegacyGT.com

Turbo heat shield broke off

So here's an odd one....I'm stg2 with a Cobb DP and heatshield. At about 80k miles, my Cobb heatshield developed a crack on the lower mount and came unmounted at that point. Cobb sent me a brand new heatshield for free.

Now at 150k miles, it looks like the same mount had the same problem...probably heat stress. But this time, it looks like I didn't catch it in time....while the heatshield was flopping around in there, it developed stress cracks on the OTHER side of the mount, and the entire thing broke off.

Complicating things is that I tried to take out the bolt that holds in the lower mount, and the head broke off. So now even if I get a new HS and upper mounting bracket, I still can't put it on properly.

Can I drive without this thing? I saw on NASIOC some people have been going for years without one in WRX, is it the same deal in a Legacy? Or do I need to get that bolt drilled out, get a new upper bracket, and a new HS?

0211171238.thumb.jpg.8bba79e3b5fbab7d97e5d756cac5b218.jpg

0211171238a.thumb.jpg.fa46a858e9525a1c5df0fcef2d14313b.jpg

0211171238c.thumb.jpg.b98ce6920c25b48bea69b4b725651ebf.jpg

You really do need the heat shield. The turbo housing glows dull red when the engine is working hard. The radiant heat will raise the temperature of all the metal surfaces in proximity. Your under-hood temperatures will be higher. Your intercooler will be less effective, due to heat soak (more noticeable in hot weather). This makes it more likely your engine will experience detonation, which is extremely bad for our cars.

I don't drive the car real hard anymore. I'm mostly just trying to make it last another 3 years until I can buy a Tesla. So I'm not super concerned about heat soak and performance drops unless it causes knock. I'm more concerned about the rubber and plastic in the area of the turbo, or should I be?

I literally have no heatshield mounting points left. How about a turbo blanket like this one? https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/t3 Would that work?

I broke off the screw head on the lower bracket a year ago, same spot. I used a cordless drill, 90 degree angle driver and self tapping screw - drilled new holes in the bracket and heat shield for a quick fix. I have that blanket too, most say it's a sufficient replacement for a heat shield.

I don't drive the car real hard anymore...

I understand you're taking it easy on the car, but even in normal situations such as traveling at high speed on a long uphill, or overtaking at WOT on a 2-lane road the turbo will still radiate quite a lot of heat. That can't be good for rubber and plastic components, plus there's just higher underhood temperatures. It seems most turbo cars have metal heat shields from the factory rather than blankets, maybe you could just repair the heat shield you already have?

I have that blanket and a GS heat shield covering my turbo. Not impressed with the blankets durability. It's starting to fall apart after 2.5 years of DD. Still works. Just not sure it's worth $110

I ordered a Thermal zero up-pipe blanket off of ebay (they are made in the USA), it seemed to be the exact same material and quality as the PTP, just a lot cheaper. There turbo blanket is $60 if you want to support made in the USA.

My PTP is starting to puff into my engine pay and leave little particulates floating around....it's like my turbo is slowly burning a hole through it. So it is just that hot :D

FWIW, both my cars have the stock heat shields with gold heat reflective tape on the inside of them. I also put some gold reflective tape under the GS tmic over that turbo area.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=11221

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My first Legacy GT which I bought used didn't have a heat shield on the turbo. It didn't know it was supposed to have one and never missed it. It seems to have had an aftermarket turbo and Cobb downpipe. I drove it from 70k to 159k miles with no apparent problems until a big ass deer got in the way.

079_Small.JPG.d1b912e719f166bb2543b7c2279d2d00.JPG

Thanks for the advice guys. Luckily I found a local forum person who sold me their bracket, and Cobb agreed to send me a new heat shield for free...so I just need to drill out that one lower bracket and I should be home free!

FWIW, both my cars have the stock heat shields with gold heat reflective tape on the inside of them. I also put some gold reflective tape under the GS tmic over that turbo area.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=11221

I am using my stock heat shield as well, just had to cut it a bit to fit over the DP, with the reflective gold under as well. I need to add some to the under/side of the TMIC above the turbo just as you have. I also just wrapped my turbo in the DEI titanium exhaust wrap. Now to wrap my DP.

I broke off the screw head on the lower bracket a year ago, same spot. I used a cordless drill, 90 degree angle driver and self tapping screw - drilled new holes in the bracket and heat shield for a quick fix. I have that blanket too, most say it's a sufficient replacement for a heat shield.

Actually I discovered that there are 2 14mm bolts that attach that bracket to the car....so you take off both of those from the top (one needs a universal joint on the socket) and the whole bracket comes right out. In my case I was able to use PB Blaster and vice grips to work the old thread nub out of the bracket, then cleaned it up and reinstalled. Works great!

Archived