LegacyGT.com

No tail lights, fuses good, tail lights work WITH parking light switch ON

I've been researching for days trying to figure out why my tail lights will not come on with my headlights in my 1991 legacy L. When the parking light switch is in the ON position the corners, tails, and license plate lights all come on. But when just the headlights are turned on I get none of those lights. I've checked fuses and have done tons of research. I've come to think that there is either a relay, or the parking light switch is causing this weird phenomenon to happen. I'm about to go down to the parts store and rent a steering wheel puller to get to the column levers and parking switches to inspect the wiring. Any input is much appreciated.

I'd lean toward the switch stalk myself, but electrical is not my forte.

You probably don't need a puller. just loosen the 17mm NUT a few turns that holds on the wheel and pull straight off>.Firmly. Leaving the nut on keeps it outta your face....when it lets loose...and the nut and washer from ending up..... who knows where.

I do know that the wheel can be bent, If you're esp. strong of arm, as I rec'd a used one that was, so if it's REALLY tight a puller may save you from that scenario.

If your parking lights come on, that is good since at least it eliminates a lot of possible trouble points like fuses, wiring, bulbs, etc.

Suspect the steering column switch. A multi-meter would help you pin it down.

So I went out, rented a steering wheel puller (definitely worth the the trip) got the steering wheel off and got the column switches off all in about 25 minutes. It was actually very simple. I'm putting money on the switch being bad because when I got the whole assembly off there are actually 2 separate wires for the parking switch that connect to their own pins at the harness. So that would explain why the lights come on with the parking lamp switch and not with the column switch/lever. I actually got the whole assembly from my local pick and pull for 19 bucks. Not bad. This Subaru is a walk in the park compared to my Toyota 4Runner hahaha.

By the way, what website do you guys use to post pictures on here?

Archived