LegacyGT.com

Rough idle issues and code 24 on 1991 legacy engine

If anyone has any insight on this I would be so grateful. I don't really have any idea where to go from here :(

I have a manual 1991 manual legacy engine in my VW vanagon. It has the legacy wiring harness and works exactly how it would in the donor car. I recently had the engine rebuilt because the rings went bad, but I am having persisting issues with idle (feels like its only firing on 3 cylinders). Once I crack the throttle open it seems to run fine.

I've been digging through forum posts but so far nothing I have com across on here or in the Haynes repair manual has worked.

Things I have checked/replaced.

The inital diagnostic was a code 24, IAC valve. Checked the resistances on it and they were bad so I replaced that. No dice, still having a bad idle.

Thought it may have been the TPS so bought a new one, installed it and made sure its orientation was correct by gapping it to the DO NOT adjust screw. The resistances are fine, but the voltages read backwards. (4.6V closed throttle and 0.8V WOT). Not sure if that indicates something...

Next step was to see if everything was getting spark, all the spark plugs were firing but I noticed that cylinder #2's injector had a charred connector. I swapped out the connector and also had all the injectors serviced and replaced the #2 injector with an OEM one.

Also tested a new igniter and coil pack to see if that was the problem without any luck.

Does anyone have an idea as to what this problem might be? Any help or further direction would be much appreciated! Could it be that the ECU has breathed its last? I should also note that the code 24 persists even after all the fixes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived